LOL (Laughing Out Loud) Reviews

• Oct 05, 2019

Almost line for line the same, the differences are interesting to compare with the Miley Cyrus remake. The filmmaking here is all round not as slick, but the cultural attitudes on show are much more sophisticated. The kids characters are also down to earth and likeable, rather than bordering on broken for life already.

• Jan 20, 2015

Nothing groundbreaking here, but LOL is a good-natured teen angst flick en français with a tender heart, snappy dialogue, and some hilariously awkward moments (especially during a trip to the strange, exotic land of...England). Most first-worlders will identify with one or several of these characters -- the teens or the adults -- who are much like us, fumbling their way through life while fumbling with some device or other. The only difference is, these people are doing it with far more style, and in Paris.

• Oct 06, 2013

This reminds me of my best friend and I had to laugh. LOL is a good movie for teens to watch with there best friend/s and have a good time. Great movie!

• Jun 18, 2013

Cute film. Much better than the American remake, starring Miley Cyrus. Lol, just kidding. This one sucked, too. This tepid piece of crap is crap, regardless of what language is spoken. The actors, if you can call them that, did an okay job. However, their performances couldn't save this mindless drivel. Blame the writer, director, editor, whatever! Someone didn't do their job right and this is what the audience is left with. 1 hour and 43 minutes of teenage melodrama with about as much flavor as a stale windmill cookie! This gets half a star for not starring the talentless Miley Cyrus. At least it has that going for it.

• Sep 29, 2012

A great movie about best periods of our lives with young friends discovering and dealing with this new feelings their having by growing up

• Sep 12, 2012

Funny and cute, entertaining, even if it's not the best comedy ever. It really shows the way of life of nowadays parisian teen-agers, and their way of speeking.

• Aug 14, 2012

Sympa mais pas aussi bien que la Boum ;) Dans 10 ans, tout le monde aura oublie LOL alors que la Boum...

• Jun 04, 2012

There is no villian, no moral lessons, no real plot, and honestly no point. This movie has no rational purpose, and I won't pretend it's half as profound and deep as any other quality romantic comedy you can think of, but if you're looking for an extroverted film with an undeniable individual charisma and ubiquitous positive energy to indulge in theatrical guffaws and smiles, and don't mind subtitles, this is absolutely the film for you.

• May 10, 2012

Don't be put off by the hints to MSN or texting here, as for one they're outdated already, and play no special role in the story. LOL's charm for me clearly comes from the relationship between mother and daughter, and the numerous other families and their stories, many of which provide heaps of nostalgia, having been through the French school system myself. Another misleading element would be the film's early minutes which revolve around very girly themes which scarcely re-appear. One would be forgiven for thinking this was a French Bring It On or Mean Girls or something. Thankfully, Sophie Marceau's performance and the on screen chemistry with Christa Theret are excellent and heart-warming, taking the spotlight away from the teenage squabbles, and make this film very relatable. It also deserves praise for its near perfect balance of comedy and drama, gags are incidental and aren't given unnecessary build-up or peppered with muted music, or other tricks. The narrative is well paced and nicely edited together, without letting the energy drop or being relentless. The story is quite heavily stylised and paints an almost utopian picture of life in a Parisian high school or a trip to London. The cast are consistently well dressed and are surprisingly good at their elaborate hair-styles despite the implied age of 17. The males in particular have absurd cuts that proved not only a distraction but a visual nuisance when I first saw this, a trend-setter that took away a lot of the charm. Now as time has gone by, and I know it didn't catch on, it's less off-putting, and if anything, they can be added to the film's gimmicks. The characters all seem very middle class and despite a few strict parental policies or divorces, live ideal lives. Of course, the story isn't about the gritty, violent crime-ridden side that some schools experience, and including an element of that might detract from the core story of mother and daughter. Another little let-down was the ending, which at the time seemed like a 'things are back to normal/going well' phase of the story, set to music. I didn't expect the credits to roll suddenly, leaving me thinking the film could have used a little dialogue, some extra closure, something. A film closing on music for that long seemed a little odd. In summation, an entertaining, fun, and evocative piece that I'd recommend to fans of romantic comedies or drama more than teen comedy fans.

• Mar 12, 2012

If this film wasn't in French then I would most probably be ashamed of liking it/owning the DVD. Alas, my French vocabulary was markedly expanded after hearing a large number of relatively simple and undeniably chouette conversations throughout this film. The cast was also quite aesthetically appealing.