Londinium Reviews

• Feb 28, 2011

FOURPLAY/ LONDINIUM [1998]: Long before Colin Firth won his best actor Oscar in THE KINGS SPEECH, Firth in his early part of his carrier was trying to shake off his image of Mr Darcy in the BBC production of Pride and Prejudice by staring in a lot of Rom-Com's in the 1990's and the early 2000's. Four-play is such a average English Rom-Com it's quite forgettable aside from having Firth and comedic legend Stephen Fry in this film. Overall rating for a film that's down right average, my rating is 60%.

• Mar 03, 2009

It's an adequate film, that appears to be trying to make a point about romance, but the point it's trying to make seems a little flimsy and ill-defined. The film is quite watchable but it doesn't really culminate in any great outcomes. A bit like a soap opera in a way. Almost like they could make Fourplay II and you could see what moderately interesting things happen in their lives from here. It's a romantic comedy, but the comedy side is fairly subtle, and I'm not quite sure how romantic people cheating on each other is ever really going to be. So all in all, it makes an alright sort of watch, but you won't recommend it to friends or anything. Colin Firth does sport a beard in it though, which is kind of fun and different. And and Jack Dee's in it, playing, very nearly Jack Dee, which is, erm, not that common I suppose. I picked it up for 99p from Tescos. If you're doing the same sort of thing, then pick up Cake featuring Heather Graham first, and probably The Social Climber next. They're both better than this one. Oh, and as per usual - no subtitles on this one, either, which is a bit annoying, as per usual.

• Mar 02, 2009

Its a complete letdown...!!!.... :(

Its a complete letdown...!!!.... :(

• Feb 14, 2009

Not the fun foursome type movie it was advertised as on the box. A few funny jokes and cute people, but mostly too much violence and mean behaviour from ass holes.

• Mar 18, 2008

I'm a huge Mike Binder fan. "Crossing the Bridge," "Indian Summer," "The Sex Monster," his short-lived TV show "The Mind of the Married Man," and his most recent flick "The Upside of Anger" are all overlooked masterpieces. He is able to blend comedic wit with heart-filled emotion and as a result makes comedy/dramas that work on all levels. Though this one seems to skip a beat here and there, it still has some hilarious moments that makes it worth a watch. Instead of two guys falling in love with one woman or vice versa this film deals with two couples who fall in and out of love with one another, the result being quite amusing. Writer/director Mike Binder stars with Mariel Hemingway, Colin Firth, and Irène Jacob in this delightful comedy. Though I feel not his strongest work it's still a good watch.

• Dec 01, 2007

5star rating i give this film its dry and humerous, watch this film if you are in a relationship, married pr thinking about getting married. I consider this movie a modern classic.

• Sep 16, 2007

There's plenty of these big city relationships dramas about, and plenty set in London, some are good, this one definatley isn't.

• Sep 09, 2007

a film that your parents might like.. some humourous moments, but nothing to get excited about

• Sep 30, 2004

[font=Palatino Linotype]My Colin Firth fixation has suddenly begun to grow by leaps and bounds... Lord only knows why. I found this rather insignificant bit of filmwork in the library... and lo and behold, it had dear ol' Colin in it. Had to at least give it a bit of a go, yah know?[/font] [font=Palatino Linotype][/font] [font=Palatino Linotype]It's not anything to win an award for, but it's a nice piece of time wasting entertainment...:) [/font]