Lonesome Jim - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lonesome Jim Reviews

August 20, 2011
I LOVE JIM. It's just so familiar to me to struggle things like Jim and of course I like this movie.. but it doesn't work if you don't have these issues 'cause it might be just boring... Slow, desperate atmosphere and it feels like I want to shake this character and say, it's gonna be alright! (even if I don't think it would..)
July 19, 2011
Average. I love Liv Tyler and I think Casey Affleck is good, but this Buscemi directorial outing isn't anything special. All I remember is Affleck's character's Hemmingway fascination.
July 5, 2011
Good film, description almost steered me clear, but I am glad I watched it.
March 31, 2011
I mainly watched this because it was directed by Steve Buscemi, who i've always admired. I'm not such a fan of Casey Affleck and frankly have been a bit put off by the fawning praise heaped upon him for his recent work. So, he is a better actor than his brother. So what? Ben is still more watchable in my opinion. I do like Live Tyler and she is very good here, the hoplessly helpful and optimistic person who seems drawn to depressed, casey Affleck. She was braver than me, i just wanted to smother him with a pillow, but then you have to give him the credit for bringing out that feeling, because, i think that is how you are supposed to feel about him.

It is not dreadfully original, being a similar 'finding yourself' story along the lines of Garden State. But there are many things to like. It is pure indie, in style and intent. purposefully not highly polished, like the slightly amatuerish soundtrack which is a perfect accompanyment for what is on the screen. I found some scenes to be quite clumsiliy set up and shot and it's overall tone is unlikley to cheer you up after a hard day at work. It is however nicely done, well paced and has enough of a silver lining to stop you from driving your car into a tree, because the main character does go on a journey and at least everybody it seems is somehow better off at the end than they were at the beginning.
½ March 23, 2011
It's too close to home and too near the bone.
February 17, 2011
I've seen this a good few times. I keep coming back to it. I feel that the character's lives are so depressing that it makes me feel better about my life. The movie is very real. I think Steve Buscemi did a great job at directing. There is just something about this film that I really like. It has a lot in common with the movie Junebug. I think I really like movies like this. Yep. I guess that's it.
February 8, 2011
Buscemi deserves your respect... kind of???
½ February 4, 2011
I wanted to like it because Buscemi has done some good stuff on both sides of the caram, but there was just nothing to like here. dull, unlikeabel moaning characters who never explain why they have problems or do anything to fix them, just mope.
like watching paint dry but I expected more from the handfull of good actors they had her than I would a can of paint.
½ January 14, 2011
Gentle romantic comedy, deals quite sensitively with a main character (Casey Affleck) who suffers from depression. Good performances from all. Liv Tyler as the 'girl next door' type (in your dreams!) plays a similar role to her character in Jersey Girl, which coincidentally starred Casey Affleck's older brother Ben. Lonesome Jim (directed by Steve Buscemi) is better though, not least because J-Lo isn't in it.
January 13, 2011
Slow but quite funny. Typical Steve Buscemi, typical indy midwest small town dull but weird (favourite word just now, weird - but it's apt). The Guardian couldn't understand why anyone, much less Liv Tyler, could care for Lonesome Jim. He's a total pessimist, hypocritical and incompetent too. Still, if you like low key comedy mixed with some very keen observation you will like this. Slow - I had to keep nudging Eleanor to keep her from falling asleep.
January 11, 2011
I'm a big fan of Steve Buscemi both in front of and behind the camera (Tree's Lounge is wonderful!) and he doesn't disappoint here. Wonderful characters, wonderful actors in this quiet small town story about failure and subsequent redemption. Lovely sound track too. Mary Kay Place is marvellous.
January 9, 2011
One of my favourite movies ever.....really dark humour, directed by Steve Buscemi eh? makes sense.......Jim realises that actions speak louder than words!
January 5, 2011
It's really difficult to make a fine movie about such a depthless main character. Everything in "Lonesome Jim" is phony, unnatural and really slow paced.
½ December 18, 2010
A simple film that deals with disillusionment better than most in the genre. A hidden gem with flaws.
November 5, 2010
What would a girl like her see in a depressed, depressing, loner like Jim? And honestly, you think a guy like that would EVER let a girl like that slip away?
October 31, 2010
Mumblecore By Numbers (Numblecore?), but watchable nonetheless. Casey Affleck is perfect as the whiny self-centred Jim who manages to "find" himself after falling for Liv Tyler. I didn't even notice till afterwards when I thought "ooh, the direction was good, wonder who that was" that it's directed by Steve Buscemi. Which explains a lot.
½ August 9, 2010
A young man who is chronically depressed returns home to his misfit family and helps them cope with a crisis. Casey Affleck is so great as the miserable 'Jimmy'. Couldn't help but empathize.
July 31, 2010
I had low expectations on this one, so I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. Similar in tone to Buffalo 66, this deals with people who don't quite fit in, and while the plot is small, it has a lasting impact. Liked it a lot.
July 25, 2010
That must have been a cakewalk for Casey Affleck.