The Long, Long Trailer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Long, Long Trailer Reviews

August 3, 2016
Silly trials for newly weds on their honeymoon.
April 24, 2016
Directed by the great Vincente Minnelli (dad of Liza) and stars at the zenith of their popularity Lucy and Desi Asnaz. This full-color movie is not an extended sitcom, but follower newlyweds (Nick and Tracy) on a comic nightmare as they go cross-country in a motor home. A very funny movie filled with the slapstick comedy they were known for, but the big screen really does showcase their talents. The only downside is this is their only comedy together and you end wishing they had the chance to do more. There are plenty of classics, but this one lives up to it the label: a true gem.
January 4, 2016
I love this movie! I have watched more times than I can count. The first being when I was a kid in the 50's. Also being a campe many of the scene hit just too close to home. This is the innocence that we lived in during the fifties and the color and scenery of the film is wonderful. Good wholesome fun, if you are looking for sex and violence, you need to go elsewhere. I watch it at least on a year and continue to laugh out loud at some of the scenes. Having ridden in the back of a moving trailer, I can tell you it is exactly like in the movie. As a matter of fact, I might just go put the movie in right now and get some laughs.
July 19, 2015
I guess trailers sucked back then. It was nice to see Lucille and Desi together but it wasn't that funny. That steep road scene was Nerve-racking!
½ May 1, 2015
lacks and charm and chemistry of the beloved sitcom
½ March 15, 2015
The Long, Long Trailer is a decent film. It is about an upwardly mobile couple who decide to buy a trailer so they can live together while his job takes him around the country. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Vincente Minnelli did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor and romance.
December 18, 2014
I never watched I Love Lucy, but both Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz are wonderful together in this very funny film. I prefer her earlier work, say, in Room Service and Du Barry Was a Lady, acting with others, but this is still recommended both for fans of Lucy and Technicolor comedy.
½ October 12, 2014
Upgrading their romance from the small screen of "I Love Lucy" to the big screen in the same seemingly fashion, they'd performed in a complicating comedic fiasco that only tried to be funny while going on without a reasonable idea. The couple performed fine at their usual on-screen level, and at least half of the humor was funny enough to make this likable. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ August 29, 2014
Most of us take the "I love Lucy" TV show as a kind of given, we've all seen it and it has become in some ways the measure against which all TV comedy is measured. This film however raises the antics of Lucy and Ricky to almost pythonesque levels of absurdity whilst taking aim at the dream of marital and domestic bliss, my favourite seqeuence is dragging a 3 ton caravan over narrow, dangerous to the point of deadly mountain roads, to make it more interesting, Lucy has filled it with hundreds of rocks she has collected in her travels. Timeless brilliance from the great director, Vincente Minelli
April 9, 2014
I thought this movie was hilarious. I recall laughing uproariously and I was the only one watching in the room. A good laugh especially so since I am a bit of a rock hound (HAHAHA).
½ December 29, 2013
A fondly remembered film from my childhood, this movie is really silly with unconvincing special effects and a lot of second unit work. Watchabhle but will be most enjoyed by diehard Lucy and Desi fans.
July 14, 2013
A charming road movie about newlyweds Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, established household names with their sitcom 'I Love Lucy' (1951-57), enduring the pressures of starting their life together with the titular residence always in tow. There's plenty of fun to be had here and there's no denying the energetic presence of Ball and exotic allure of Aranz, who elevate an otherwise undemanding film. A string of effective gags and a genuinely intense drive up a steep and narrow mountain keep things bubbling along nicely.
July 5, 2013
Now this is a classic, there is truly nothing more entertaining than seeing Lucille Ball making dinner in the back of a moving caravan. See this movie for that scene alone, she makes modern day comics look like chumps!
February 10, 2013
Some funny moments here and there.
February 8, 2013
My Father was right my husband and i loved this movie ~Highly RECOMMEND
February 6, 2013
Love the scene when Tacy (Ball) is trying to make the dinner in the trailer as Nicky drives all over the road. It's cheap comedy that wouldn't hold up if made today, but thankfully comes from that classic age of lighthearted comedy.
January 4, 2013
A classic. Love Lucy in every form
December 13, 2012
poor lucy covered in all that flour haha
December 7, 2012
Newlyweds can appreciate the moral of the story... oh, and RV can suck it.
December 2, 2012
It was alright. I'm going to say what nobody else wants to say Lucille Ball is not always that funny. When she is funny damn she is funny but when she is not it's like watching paint dry. And Desi is a one trick pony