The Long Riders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Long Riders Reviews

December 2, 2011
An unsentimental and beautifully filmed old time western. Keith Carradine steals it as Cole Younger, but fine acting all the way around. His few scenes with Belle Starr are worth it.
½ November 24, 2011
One of the best Westerns there is...great performances from all the cast..well paced though you probably know the eventual outcome
½ November 6, 2011
This should have been called..."The Everybody and their brother Riders" because that's pretty much what it was. You had all the Carradine,Keach,Guest and Quaid brothers as western outlaws, who rob trains,stage coaches and blow away sheriffs.
This was a pretty good early 80s western effort directed by one of my favorite directors...Walter Hill. Coming off the comic book like action packed gang movie "The Warriors" this was a totally different direction than I think most people expected from him but it was just as good as his other more well known work. One of the best westerns ever In my opinion and if you haven't seen this, you're really missing out.
November 6, 2011
A real unsung western (& movie in general) by one of my favorite directors Walter Hill. Casting doesn't get much more brilliant then what's on display here. It gives new definition to the term keeping it in the family. By casting brothers in the Carradines, Keachs, Quaid & Guests it makes this movie feel authentic. This movie just couldn't be made today. Who the hell are you going to get?..The Jonas Brothers? Carradine has some great interaction w/ Pamela Reed. I love it when he calls her a whore but he does it w/ such love. You even get Hill regular James Remar who's fucking great whenever he shows up. He really should have had more of a career. Movies of this caliber are rare & should really be sought out by fans of the genre or of great film making in general
November 3, 2011
One of my all-time favorites - despite the historical liberties. James Keach gives a nice turn as a humorless and probably sociopathic Jesse. The scenes depicting the disaster of a raid on Northfield, MN are great cinema, with David Carradine grimly absorbing a pound of lead without complaint in his role of Cole Younger.
October 30, 2011
Very good western that has been forgotten about and notable for the casting of the Keach brothers, the Guest brothers, the Carradine brothers and the Quaid brothers in the main roles of the James-Younger gang.

Starts off with a bank raid which goes slightly wrong setting the scene for a 'Young Guns' type western only with a sensible stance but unfortunately does then become a little dull throughout the middle. There is allot of dialog and family affairs between the gang members which is fine but you do loose a little interest, this does pick up as you head towards the last section of the film of course and very good it is too.

You can see where the 'Young Guns' notion cam from I think from the final big gun battle sequence of the ill-fated attempt to rob the Northfield First National Bank in Minnesota, the whole sequence is lovely with slow motion gun fire, slow motion bullet hits, horses tearing down the main street and finally leaping through a large glass window riders n all. I would say this film was an inspiration for many modern 'rock n roll' type westerns.

Despite that the film is completely serious and actually handled very well in terms of historical accuracy and artistic license. Yes allot is fictional but at the same time believeable and there are lots of accounts that have been incorporated into the film which are spot on, mainly the deaths of gang members and of course Jesse James.

Not your typical Hill film but he sure made a good one here which deserves a place among the best in the genre, its dirty, realistic, uses great locations and has a good bold cult cast line up, watch out for James Remar as Cherokee Indian Sam Starr in maybe the only bad choice of the film.
½ October 5, 2011
2.5: It's funny that I had no idea this was a James/Younger gang film. This is because I basically watch every Western that comes out on Blu-Ray. The transfer was adequate, but nothing special. The film occupies an odd middle ground in my mind as it is dissimilar from both classic westerns and contemporary westerns. The story is told in a pretty straightforward manner, but the style is probably closer to Peckinpah than anything else. It certainly has enough blood and violence. I have to say I prefer "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" though. Much of the history is similar between the two films, but "The Long Riders" lacks the artistic vision and purity that defines the newer film. It is rather fascinating that the filmmakers choose to have real-life siblings play siblings in the film. It lends it an air of authenticity one doesn't often see, or least making it more intriguing. The story is compelling, but this is true of a rote historical recitation of it. I'd say it's an adequate western, but a bit disappointing. It doesn't rise to the level of myth as it should. Everything is too grounded and mundane.
½ October 3, 2011
David Carradine, Keith Carradine and Robert Carradine, Dennis Quaid and Randy Quaid, Christopher Guest and Nicholas Guest, James Keach, and Stacy Keach, all real life brothers playing real life outlaws on the silver screen. How could anything possible be better than this? Well a lot of things. This isnā(TM)t the greatest western ever made, but it's entirely watchable.
½ September 4, 2011
Hill's sparse, sentimental free western is absolutely compelling. With its creative casting (everyone who is a brother in the movie is related in real life), and intense action scenes (the big final robbery is a knockout), Hill's direction is fantastic.

The only downside is James Keach as Jesse James. He's kind of bland, especially compared to the Carradine clan. I understand that's kind of the point, turning the mythic larger than life character Jesse James, into a simple man, but it's not the easiest to care about him.
August 8, 2011
Competent if mostly unexceptional western chronicling the fictionalized exploits of the James/Younger gang. Episodic and very watchable with a bravura climax.
½ July 30, 2011
THE LONG RIDERS (1980)
½ July 26, 2011
Like Sam Fuller? Peckinpah? Walter Hill? The Carradine's? The Keach's? The Quaids? The Guests? Then you'll probably enjoy The Long Riders.

It is however ANOTHER retelling of Jesse James and his gang story, but at least this is one of the better ones.
½ July 23, 2011
Though it pales in comparison to The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The Long Riders is still a fine western in its' own right. The cast is especially interesting, with the James, Younger, Miller, and Ford brothers played by actual brothers. This is largely successful, save for the casting of James Keach as Jesse James, he simply doesn't have enough charisma or presence to carry the role. On the flip side, David Carradine was fantastic as Cole Younger. To be sure, there are moments of uneven pacing, and the action sequences are often too heavily edited. But all in all, it's a successful gritty and atmospheric western.
½ February 15, 2011
This is the tale of the Jesse James Gang, a bunch of former confederate soldiers on a mission of revenge in the shape of bank and train raids.

I remember reading the cartoon "Buffalo Bill" as a kid back in 1980 and on the backside there was a picture from "The Long Riders". I thought this movie must be cool and eventually I got to see it and as far as I remember I did think it was solid. Reseeing "The Long Riders" was not that cool however. This is first of all hardly one of Walter HillĀ“s best ones if you ask me. I reckon "The Long Riders" is a bit "amateurish" with theatrical dialogue, strange flow of story, long pointless scenes that struggles to build the characters and a record of bad fake moustaches and beards. And the action sequences carries an obvious inspiration from Sam Peckinpah, whom Hill do look up to. I reckon the fact that they managed to put together four sets of actual brothers: the Carradines, the Keachs, the Quaids and the Guests, is a bit impressive. And that we actually hear proper swedish in the movie. But, the rest is easily forgotten. Even Ry Cooders music.
½ January 15, 2011
While there's some bland characterization, the shoot-out scenes and brilliantly edited violent climax are worth the watch.
January 15, 2011
Strong western but the characters were too soft in their personal lives.
½ January 13, 2011
I never really saw a story or even a conflict. The Keaches as the Jameses were pretty bland. The sound editing was a bit odd at times.
January 1, 2011
Nice stellar cast and good story of the James Gang.
December 28, 2010
ok, but i didn't like mr stone-face that played jesse james, loved david carradine though
December 17, 2010
A so-so Western that pales in significance when compared to other Jesse James films. I did enjoy seeing four sets of real life brothers all working together.