The Long Ships - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Long Ships Reviews

July 13, 2008
If you into tale's of the Vikings adventure, you may want to consider this movie. Good effects for the time. The casting of Richard Widmark as the Viking though is a bit out there. But a fun movie done the less
½ May 4, 2008
Just about the strangest historical epic I've ever watched. Vikings and Moors go off in search of a giant, golden bell. (Yes, you read that right - a giant, golden bell.) But, weird MacGuffins aside, it was entertaining. Russ Tamblyn in hot pants, Vikings drunkenly raiding a harem of women, and Sidney Poitier full of righteous indignation as he attempts to take this movie seriously. An enjoyable, lazy Sunday afternoon movie.
March 26, 2008
A guilty pleasure. Vikings vs. Moors in a search for a huge golden bell.
March 16, 2008
A real curiousity this with the Vikings eventually doing battle with The Moors over a giant Golden Bell. Widmark is out of place here, but it is still a decent enough adventure movie - if not quite as cool as Kirk Douglas' The Vikings.
½ March 12, 2008
Classic adventure tale.
½ March 10, 2008
Watched this one many moons ago, OK not the special effects that todays flicks provide but a good movie to catch up with
sainttom93
March 1, 2008
A good, if schlocky, view of the Vikings wanderings -- Schlocky or not, I liked it
January 15, 2008
Good historical fantasy adventure in the classic Hollywood style for this time, however there's nothing outstanding about this one.
January 14, 2008
sthis film is both entertaining and excrutiatingly bad! some fun performances and scenery but a bit too long for the b-movie that it is :)
½ December 31, 2007
Acting was a bit ropey. Good adventure yarn for all that though.
garyX
½ December 20, 2007
This amusingly cheesy matinee style viking film features Richard Widmark and his brother Russ Tamblyn (sporting a very fetching pair of hot pants!) seemingly having loads of fun as norsemen on the pillage in pursuit of a legendary golden bell, also coveted by Moorish prince Sidney Poitier. Poitier actually cuts quite a dashing figure in his period robes and armour, but looks a little uncomfortable playing the action man. The main problem with the film is not in it's inherent silliness; that's all part of the fun. Some of the early scenes on board ship are unintentionally hilarious! It's in casting these pirates as the "good" guys; I actually felt far more affinity towards Poitier and his Moors than Widmark's men, who came across as brutish testosterone soaked thugs. This is underlined by the unbelievably tasteless harem scene where rape is presented as some kind of comic lark, very much in the vein of a Carry On film. This shockingly misjudged (althought mercifully brief) sequence seriously marred my enjoyment of the film, which up until then I'd considered harmless fun. If you can ignore the dubious morality of it all, it's an enjoyable boys own adventure in the mold of Jason And The Argonauts, but that particular scene did leave me with a rather unpleasant taste in my mouth.
½ December 17, 2007
½ December 8, 2007
Poitier and Widmark do some great work here in one of my favourite obsessions. Loved it as a teenager, and guiltily still do.
½ September 19, 2007
A mighty good Viking flick, nothing whatsoever to do with history, but great fun. The Vikings in the harem - priceless!
½ August 23, 2007
A pretty average Viking adventure, but it does feature the young Sidney Poitier, which gives it a few cred points.
August 5, 2007
Despite the credits, this film has nothing to do with Bengtsson's beloved novel "Röde Orm". And it has little to do with anything factual or historical. But it is kind of fun to watch...
½ July 29, 2007
Viking romp is no The Vikings, but does features some rousing action, and the unforgettable Mare of Steel... Tamlbyn's tumbling is put to good use is the sword fights.
June 13, 2007
It was an awesome film. Sidney Poitier is a good actor. However, golden bells do not float.
May 26, 2007
Vikings ...mmmmmmmmm
November 29, 2006
I'd like to see this movie!