Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World Reviews

½ July 4, 2015
If you love Albert Brooks....
October 9, 2014
While I am a fan of Albert Brooks and he is clearly from the same school as Larry David, I believe Larry David could have done this concept better.
February 22, 2014
Dont worry fo those in India and Pakistan.. he's not funny here in the US either!! ..seriously..bad boring movie..i do not find his humor..humorous at all..i try to avoid his movies.
December 23, 2013
Not as bad as the reviews are. It is watchable. It isn't knock down drag out funny. But the characters are interesting enough to keep it going.
December 3, 2013
eh. it's nothing special.
½ September 12, 2013
A funny, absurdist gem. The scene where Albert Brooks bombs on stage in India is worth the price of admission.
August 31, 2013
½ February 20, 2013
I loved the concept going in but the execution just wasn't there. There were definitely a few good moments, but overall, I was looking for more comedy.
½ February 16, 2013
I don't know why this movie got such poor reviews. The unfunny comedy works great. Sure, there were a few places that could have been ironed out and the deleted bonus scenes should have been left in, but overall it's good.
It's in the league of The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld.
January 22, 2013
wow not funny. like at all.
December 7, 2012
Its a good thing to look for? want to see
April 19, 2012
weird.was a lil interesting.
April 17, 2012
A timely, unique film about Brooks' character as he is given a government assignment to find out what makes Muslims laugh. It's touching, discomforting and ultimately worth seeing. 10/10

Why on earth did Ebert hire on Roeper? He seems like a flat and undiscerning critic.
½ March 31, 2012
Though the style of the comedy is quite original, the deliverance is kinda flat on arrival that makes the audience wonder if the movie could have been made better.
March 25, 2012
Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World might sound like an funny interesting concept, but I've actually never seen anything dryer than this shit. Albert Brooks who plays himself have been given a mission by the american government to find out what makes Muslims laugh. So then Albert is set to visit both India and Pakistan to find out what makes Hindus and Muslims laugh. The Problem isn't that the Indian audience is a downer but that Brooks repeats his own material in front of them. And the worst scene takes place in the beginning where Brooks have a meeting with director Penny Marshall to see if he's the new James Stewart in Harvey. A scene with the works acting and the most unfunny embarrassing situation ever. I know I should have walked out right there. This is truly one of the least funniest films ever.
February 14, 2012
Unfortunately you won't learn anything about the Muslim world or the comedy of India and Pakistan in this movie, because the protagonist is too inept at his research. Because I kept thinking I would have liked a little bit more success from Albert Brooks in his project, but perhaps the ineptitude was part of the point of this movie. I also had to smack a few points off the score for stapling in a pretty assistant who brought a smidge of romantic tension to the partnering with 60-something Brooks, even though the character herself was not uncharming and not wholly misplaced from the ensemble of Brooks' team (could have been much worse from a feminist perspective!), but the bit when she came to him hoping for help getting rid of her jealous boyfriend was a bit revolting in stereotypical aging-man egomania and I could help wishing that they could have made that character less of the Hollywood female sex symbol stereotype - maybe less pretty, maybe more interesting. All negs aside, I found the film and all the self-deprecation very affable and had some great laughs.
January 26, 2012
Classic Albert Brooks.
July 3, 2011
Albert Brooks plays himself in this very funny comedy
June 29, 2011
This movie explores why the same act of show business can truly excite some people and truly bore other people. Much of the comedy in it packs a moderate punch, whereas there are moments when it really shines. This film, incidentally, in its own way already encircles and overcomes all ratings that a reviewer can provide for it, from the lowest to the highest, because it communicates mysteries involving the ancient principle "There's no accounting for taste" and the countervailing principle "There are many accountings for taste."
June 18, 2011
...I wish it were better.