Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World Reviews

June 18, 2011
Typical Albert Brooks. Mildly amusing in irony rather than laugh-out-loud. I wish it delivered on its title but it never comes close. It leaves us with only three points and even those are not well-supported:
1. Polish jokes are funny everywhere.
2. Practical jokes are funny everywhere.
3. Stoned people laugh at anything.
½ March 9, 2011
1/2 a star for the funny muslim woman. I spent an hour and 38 minutes looking for the comedy in this movie.
½ February 15, 2011
Al Brooks is an enjoyable guy, and while this movie isn't laugh-out-loud hilarious, it's amusing enough that it feels like you're hanging out with the guy for an hour and half. Given the premise, this was certainly tamer than expected, and the ending was rushed.
February 5, 2011
It should be much better if the jokes are understood by more people. But I still love the ironic style of Albert Brooks.
½ February 2, 2011
This has got to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I giggled... once. And no cultural insights either. It was a great premise, but the rest stank!
February 1, 2011
Failed to impress !!!!
½ January 28, 2011
2.5 stars. Dry humor but Albert Brooks can do better.
½ July 20, 2010
It's not amazing, but its very funny a lot of the time. Another winner for A. Brooks!
July 8, 2010
I'm only giving this three stars because I love Albert Brooks...and Muslims.
½ June 24, 2010
Not as funny as expected.
½ May 2, 2010
It doesn't hurt to be fan of Albert Brooks. He's got his own sense of comedy and in this flick, underplay is key. The premise is a little silly but you go with it and it excels in some spots. In most, it doesn't. The movie gets us half way there but it doesn't deliver as much comedy as a culture clash of this magnitude might suggest. The movie's ending also comes out of left field, as if studio execs barged into the room and said, "You're out of money. Wrap up the flick."
½ April 12, 2010
Not Brooks' best film, but there are some great bits here. Mind that I'll watch Brooks in anything, even a bad film. This is not a bad film, but if you don't like him, I can understand why you think it would be.
½ March 12, 2010
Finally seeing this film so many years after I was told it was awful, I can't agree with the people who told me that. Perhaps I love Brooks' self-deprecating humor too much. Paul Chambers, CNN.
½ February 19, 2010
You'd expect this movie to be funny, but it wasn't. I found myself trying to laugh at the really lame jokes just so I felt like I didn't waist my time and money seeing this movie.
February 19, 2010
Humorous look at India and Pakistan; and Muslims there.

There is a scene where Brooks passes by a call center on his way to his office in India; and there the operators are taking calls for several companies that have customer service phone lines. This is the kind of thing I expect in the real world. (Spoken with an Indian accent: "Hello, thank you for calling Dell Computers (or insert the company of your choice). How may I help you?

In this movie Albert Brooks plays himself as a standup comic.

I think that this movie helps us to understand the people of the Muslim world.
July 27, 2009
Sadly, the title was the funniest part of this one. Brooks is usually dependable, but not so here; stick with Defending Your Life or Lost in America.
July 24, 2009
Albert does it again. A droll comedy and comedy of errors.
June 27, 2009
Love me some Albert Brooks!!!
May 31, 2009
who cares what muslim terrorists laugh at...