Looking for Langston Reviews

• Nov 15, 2014

Very artsy... but interesting

Very artsy... but interesting

• Apr 12, 2012

A 40 minute film based around, supposedly, the poet Langston Hughes, this is a pretentious, overtly self-congratulating, waste of time. I actually regret watching it for the very fact that I lost 40 minutes of my life I could have used doing anything, even sleeping wouldâ(TM)ve been more rewarding. What annoyed me isâ¦well, everything. It was done in black and white, which I donâ(TM)t mind, but it was just to create an atmosphere that ended up alienating me. There were two main actors, who never talked, but instead there was voice-overs that read poetry, which I didnâ(TM)t think were even any good. I had no problem with the homosexual elements within the story, but it was only ever hinted at, if you were gonna discuss and display homosexuality then do it properly, all you saw were bums, it was supposed to be atmospheric but instead just felt it was missing something. Very disappointed, and even more worried it is supposedly a lauded piece of film, the pretentiousness overwhelms me.

• Jul 15, 2008

Rarely seen and more's the pity. Very inventive piece of work.

Rarely seen and more's the pity. Very inventive piece of work.

• Jun 23, 2008

Interesting images and great poetry...but not very insightful into the life of Langston Hughes. In general, disappointing.

• Oct 17, 2005

[b]VHS[/b] First Viewing, 1 Julien film seen Langston Hughes was gay. Most of the writers from the "roaring 20s" Harlem Rennaisance were. History likes to leave out that fact. It's a notion coined as "historical erasure." Did you know that Walt Whitman was gay, too? Not that it matters in terms of prejudice, but in understanding a certain experience, this information is extremely important. [i]Looking for Langston [/i]is a 45-minute visual poem and meditation on Langston Hughes. It's sort of hard to explain. I guess it is a visual representation of what a poem would look like. That's at least what I got from it. I only watched this film because it was assigned for class, but it is the kind of film I would like to see in other situations. [i]Brother to Brother[/i], a film I watched over the summer, is pretty much the only one I can compare it to (sort of). So if you read up on [i]Looking for Langston[/i], but can't find a copy of it anywhere, you might want to go to Blockbuster and pick up a copy of [i]Brother to Brother[/i]. You'll get the same sort of education on the matter (it's just a lot less artsy).