Looking for Mr. Goodbar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Looking for Mr. Goodbar Reviews

½ October 12, 2016
This movie is DIRTY. As in "watch on HBO after your parents go to bed" dirty.

I went back and read my review of the book, and sought out Roger Ebert's movie review, before I put my thoughts together. Apparently, the movie takes liberties with the character of Theresa. I still feel as I did on reading the book, though: this chick needs an analyst. Still, the movie is an interesting look at New York in the seventies.
½ August 17, 2016
A lonely married female teacher seeks out sordid places where she engages in steamy affairs which later makes her vulnerable to a psychopathic killer.
July 15, 2016
I know this film is well regarded, garnering several Oscar nominations back in it's day and features a fine cast (Diane Keaton, Richard Gere, Tuesday Weld, William Atherton, LeVar Burton, Tom Berenger, and the film debut of Brian Dennehy.) and an crew (written and directed by Richard Brooks and beautifully photographed by William A. Fraker), but I found it dates and rather preachy. Maybe it's continued it's good reputation since it's never been released on DVD or Blu-Ray, but after I wanted a recent airing of this film on TCM, I really was not that impressed. The story follows the sexual awakening of a virginal teacher of deaf kids, Keaton, on what leads her down a road of what at first seems a positive road of independence but then goes downhill with drugs, alcohol, depression, arrests, abortions, and assorted debauchery. It's not a bad film. Keaton gives a compelling performance, even if some scenes felt rather stagey, but I'll lay blame for that at the feet of writer/director Brooks. William Frakers photography is gorgeous. I'm so glad that I got to see a fabulous HD version of this film on TCM. I also dug the 1970s soundtrack along with the film doing a very good job of capturing a time and place, making the film a fun time capsule to watch, filled with late 70s fashions, pick-up lingo, rotary dial phones, discotheque and bars. Even though I think the politics of this film are questionable and the drama is rather trite and dates at times, this is a worthy movie to checkout for fans of Brooks and/or the cast.
February 16, 2016
An engaging film with a disturbing and memorable ending. Based on a true story, which makes this all the more disturbing. A classic 1970s film with mature themes, for adults only,
August 25, 2015
Very well acted movie, the ending is very chilling.
July 8, 2015
I was 21 when I saw this movie in a theater. I guess I thought it was important.
May 10, 2015
Even tho this film features brilliant work by the actors involved (particularly Keaton) -- I think it emerges as confused as the era in which it was made. Richard Brooks was a great filmmaker but I'm not sure he really understood the tragedy that the novel was depicting. At times the film comes off as both homophobic and misogynistic. It is still worth seeing thanks to the performances. Viewers should be forewarned that the film features one of the most disturbing rape/murder scenes ever caught on screen. The real problem with this scene of horrific sexual violence and murder is that it seems to belong to a different movie. I often wonder what would have happened if Brooks had secured a female artist to adapt the great novel for the screen.
½ January 4, 2015
Keaton de los 70s, es mi Keaton favorita.
August 1, 2014
Odd, very scattered movie about a woman who goes down a road to ruin through random hook-ups, drugs, and encounters with violent men.

Screenwriter/Director Richard Brooks has done very good work before ("In Cold Blood"). But, here, the narrative is all over the place. The film begins with Diane Keaton's character having waking fantasies, but they are awkwardly edited in. Brooks then has real problems in constructing the story throughout.

There was a novel, and I have no idea if it had the same problems or not. Regardless, Brooks should have thought this out a lot better.

Diane Keaton is fine in the lead. The acting otherwise ranges from seriously overcooked to passive-aggressive. The result of the writing and overacting leads to melodrama, where the movie could have told a much more interesting story.

For instance, the guy playing Keaton's father is this borderline-psychotic Catholic character who is endlessly screaming and yelling at his daughters when they don't toe the line according to his hard-right religious ideals.

A very odd disappointment that could, and should, have been a lot better.

Plus, you can see what's going to happen by film's end coming a billion miles away!
June 15, 2014
I think all young women should see this movie. My mom had me watch it and my girls will watch it as well.
April 30, 2014
a favorite thriller and my favorite Diane Keaton performance
½ March 30, 2014
This one's a real downer, but it contains an amazing performance from Diane Keaton as a repressed girl from an Irish Catholic family who throws herself into the hedonistic world of cruising in late 1970s San Francisco. She rents a seedy, bug-infested apartment and begins picking up dangerous men. Gradually, her life begins to unravel. The film isn't without flaws, but the excellent performances (especially Keaton) ensure that it is compelling from start to finish. Keaton is to be commended for taking such a risky role, which even today would give many actresses pause; this is about as far from Annie Hall as you can get!
November 20, 2013
well crafted thriller that i have on VHS the only home format this has been released on-so far
August 17, 2013
A very masculine and limited point-of-view screenplay adapted from Judith Rossner's unforgettable novel, this film does carry quite a bit of merit. While the film never quite manages to capture the psychological complexities of the main character (or of the character referred to as "Mr. Goodbar") it is a fascinating glimpse into the 1970's Pre-AIDS singles scene of New York City. The urban and pscyho-sexual blight of the city is so stark the film could almost serve as a text book for loneliness and sexual addiction.

However, Richard Brooks' film comes across as a confused mess of misunderstanding of Feminism and homosexuality. Unlike Rossner's novel, which was loosely based on an actual murder, the movie often feels homophobic and misogynistic. If one is unfamiliar with the internal thinking of the original source material, the movie seems to be much less an historical cautionary tale as it does a study of a woman who the filmmaker feels must be punished.

When one takes pause and notices the fine performances of the lead actors - particularly Diane Keaton and Tuesday Weld - the viewer will pick up an almost "Time Capsule" worthy depiction of the confusion of the 1970's.

Though Keaton won the Oscar for her performance as Annie Hall -- her best work was in this film as an isolated elementary school teacher. Almost shocking in the graphic depiction of sexuality, drug use and the violence of the doomed main character, Richard Brooks' movie packs quite a punch.

Film Theory lovers will note that film directors and cinematographers have been attempting to copy the final horrific scene for years.

Another notable performance is that of Richard Gere before he became a name superstar.

Quite flawed, LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR is an unforgettably grim journey into the darkest corner of a moment in shared societal / cultural history. Most definitely a film of note deserving a "re-visit" if for only the acting and cinematography alone. The movie manages to hold a certain validity of an era and a New York City that many prefer to forget.

Warning: Not for the easily offended or faint of heart. Over 34 years old, LFMG is surprisingly intense, suspenseful and disturbing.
½ June 27, 2013
Diane Keaton gives an exceptional performance in this otherwise hit-and-miss drama. The character she plays is a frustrating one, and it's hard to truly root for her as the story progresses, but Keaton sells the character's innate flaws perfectly. On the whole, the movie is pretty uncomfortable to watch, mostly due to its rather unexpectedly frank (some might even say sleazy) depictions of sex, violence, and drug use, and this is heightened by the editing, which lends the story a fractured, vaguely dreamlike mood. All told, it's just a strange little movie; I'm honestly not sure if the film is asking us to condemn Keaton for her actions, or to sympathize with her (or both, or neither!), and this disconnect is rather starkly illustrated by the ending, which - while shocking and memorable - just left me wondering what the point of the previous two hours was. It IS a hell of a note to end the story on, though.
June 24, 2013
Interpretação de entrega absoluta por parte de Diane Keaton faz toda a diferença num drama perigoso e intenso, mas nem por isso muito organizado nas suas ideias sobre a ressaca sexual dos anos 70. A realização aos solavancos de Richard Brooks também não ajuda muito e o interesse do filme parece estar constantemente dependente do desempenho de Diane Keaton, que precede em muitos anos todas aquelas que obtiveram excelentes resultados ao renderem-se de corpo e alma à tirania emocional do Lars Von Trier (Nicole Kidman, Bjork, Charlotte Gainsbourg). O facto de não ser o filme mais animador pode também ter ajudado a que esteja hoje meio esquecido nos arquivos da Paramount à espera de ser recuperado quando for necessário reavaliar a Diane Keaton ou isso.
½ February 9, 2013
The Last Scene Freaked me out, Murder committed by Strobe Light, Very Effective.First and last film I ever screamed in
January 11, 2013
If this such a good movie then why is it not available on DVD?
December 30, 2012
Wow! A really dark and gritty film. Controversial and disturbing. You will be shocked to see Diane Keaton in this light. So sad that this was based on a true story :(
December 27, 2012