Looking for Richard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Looking for Richard Reviews

October 1, 2016
Al Pacino delves deeply into the works of William Shakespeare, specifically "Richard III", and essentially created a Shakespeare for dummies. Pretty entertaining, but highly educational.
April 28, 2016
"Looking for Richard" is not pretty to look at and it has a clear lack of cohesion, but Al Pacino's passion translates where Shakespeare did not. If you're interested in performing arts, I recommend you go check this one out.
January 4, 2016
One of the best and powerful acting that i ever seen from one of the best actors.
Mr. Pacino is perfect and this movie is precious.
October 19, 2015
Bravo to Al Pacino! Not just for his brilliant performance, but also for really digging into the history and meaning of Richard III and making Shakespeare so captivating. I've been looking up more Shakespearean plays all morning!
½ May 1, 2015
Loved this behind the scenes study.
March 16, 2015
February 2, 2015
Watching the creative process of some of the world's finest actors bring to life the poetry and psychological insight of the greatest playwright in history was a revelation.
May 21, 2014
I have seen Richard III and read it and now after seeing this, I really wish they would do this for all of Shakespeare's plays/movies. I wish there was a companion to this that showed the complete performance nevertheless, this is one thought provoking and intriguing documentary. Al Pacino directs and stars in this doc and he has never been more likable. Some of my favorite scenes are his interactions with the everyday people as he asks them about the Bard. Al loves Shakes and he loves to talk about it. This is better than any uncomfortable interview he has ever given. The cast is superb but Al and William are the stars.
½ April 30, 2014
Here's a movie I've passed by guiltily at the video rental places for decades, thinking, one day I'll watch it, but not wanting to because Richard III is boring. And now only watching because it's about to expire at netflix streaming, I got in just under the wire and forced myself to watch it. This unique format of a movie that is at once a class about the process of interpreting Shakespeare (using Richard III), the intellectual process of rehearsal and discussion of acting choices and motivation, then illustrated by the performance, and I found myself enthralled. Imagine being such an outsider, so misguided, no satisfaction in any direction, you let yourself be ruled by hatred to end in success, but having along the road killed all you knew, so at the end, guilty and alone on a throne where you will not long sit before you are violently dismissed. I felt Richard too much.
March 15, 2014
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
½ March 3, 2014
Al Pacino starred in and directed this enthralling and informative documentary that is both a selective performance of scenes and elucidation of Shakespeare's "Richard III." Pacino appears as himself with the other players as they deconstruct the play during rehearsals. At the same time, he includes interviews with veteran Shakespearean actors, scholars, and the general public for context that will make the playwright's work more accessible. When the scenes are then performed in costume, our apprehension dissolves and we become more keenly involved. Informative without being tedious, this production can function as a great introduction for novices to Shakespeare or be enjoyed by those more familiar with the Bard. The players include Penelope Allen, Harris Yulin, Kevin Spacey, Winona Ryder, Alec Baldwin, Kevin Conway, Estelle Parsons, and Aidan Quinn. Among those interviewed are Kenneth Branagh, Vanessa Redgrave, John Gielgud, Derek Jacobi, James Earl Jones, and Kevin Kline.
January 27, 2014
Excellent documentary that discusses Shakespeare and one of his most famous plays, "Richard III." Through discussion and staging scenes from the play, Pacino and crew give us a layman's view on the Bard and his masterworks!
November 11, 2013
Al Pacino's wet dream unto himself. The only reason to see this is for the opportunity to roar out loud at the casts attempts at speaking with...the only term I can come up with is... "Shakespearean accents," the worst of which undeniably comes from Al himself.
June 27, 2013
As I was watching this movie, all I could think of was, "I wish they had show this before reading Shakespeare in high school." Entertaining and educational, this was like a cliff note movie of a classic play, and I was inspired to read some of his works after watching.
April 13, 2013
I Really enjoyed this one . Will probably read more Shakespeare now
December 7, 2012
Could watch this sometime if i can find.
July 24, 2012
This movie breaks down Richard III into a more understandable piece of literature and also shows insight into the public view of Shakespeare from people all over. I really enjoyed Al Pacino's quest to bring Shakespeare to the masses in such a way that they may enjoy and appreciate it. My favorite part was the guy that talked about how Shakespeare teaches us to feel and so more of us need to be educated in his words, it actually made a lot of sense. This was a great idea done by one of the finest actors in cinema history.
½ June 30, 2012
A great documentary that helps bridge the gap between modern audiences and Shakespeare's Richard III.
May 23, 2012
The movie is great at explaining the play, but actual filmed episodes of it aren't that good.