The Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie Reviews

October 3, 2013
Just ok, there's some definite classics in there, but there's some newer stuff that is totally not the same calibre as the older stuff. Plus, they seem to borrow gags from the older shorts for this, not good.
September 13, 2013
Great movie hilarious funny awesome any other word for funny 97%
March 7, 2013
"Friz Ferleng's Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie" is one of the best movies to waste approximately 90 minutes of your time. It features the amazing voice talent of the late Mel Blanc as a good chunk of the cast.

The movie is actually a bunch of classic "Looney Tunes" shorts threaded together with three different plots for three different acts.

Before the start of the feature presentation, we are treated with the Acadamy Award-winning "Knighty Knight, Bugs" which features "Bugs Bunny" (voiced by Mel Blanc) as the court jester of the Knights of the Round Table, who is picked to face the devious "Black Knight", played by "Yosemite Sam" (voiced by Blanc) and his dragon.

Then we are treated with a small look at the early years of Hollywood in a segment with "Bugs" doing a voice-over, which at one point is hard to hear when his voice-over is placed over a clip from a "Speedy Gonzales" (voiced by Blanc) short. In "Act 1" we see three different "Looney Tunes" shorts featuring "Sam" chasing "Bugs" woven together with segments featuring "Sam" going to Hell, and getting three chances (the three shorts) to send "Bugs" to Hell in his place.

In "Act 2," which is titled "The Unmentionables," the three shorts are woven together with a parody of "The Untouchables," with "Bugs" as "Elegant Mess" chasing the dim witted mobsters "Rocky" (voiced by Blanc) and "Mugsy" (voiced by Blanc). One of the shorts features "Sylvester" (voiced by Blanc) and "Tweety Pie" (voiced by Blanc).

In the final Act, titled "The Oswald Awards," we see three more classic "Looney Tunes" woven together by a parody of an Oscars ceremony that ends with a battle between "Bugs" and one of his biggest rivals, "Daffy Duck" (voiced by Blanc).

The classic animation still holds up quite nicely after 27 years after the release of this movie. The characters move quite nicely, and the mouths move in synch with the voices, unlike the popular Anime that dominates cartoons today. There is comedic violence in this film, but no blood or deaths. And the humor is filled with great puns, jokes and sight gags that will make all ages laugh.

Blanc, who dominates the cast of zany characters, is simply wonderful. And thanks to movies like this, his talent will live on entertaining new audiences for years to come.

"Looney Tunes" fans will smile when all their favorite characters come on the screen screen, even if they are in a non-speaking cameo. Kids, and kids-at-heart, will also laugh at the same jokes over and over.

With Blanc's voice talents, and the fantastic comedy throughout the film, this would be a great addition to your collection.
½ June 28, 2012
There's a reason why Looney Tunes, Merry Melodies and Silly Symphonies cartoons are shorts: they lose their luster when strung back to back to back in feature length format as they are here. On their own, each mini-story can be entertaining and hold it own; together, they're overlong and begin to be unfunny. Not much more to say. If these shorts can hold your interest, so be it. But there's not a ton new under this sun.
Jason Vargo
½ May 2, 2012
½ April 25, 2011
Bugs Bunny, and his fellow Looney Tunes cohorts are among the most well known and beloved of all the characters in television history. There is no denying that. But while there's no denying the respectability of Looney Tunes, the sucess of the Looney Tunes "movies" can be argued. One of the prime examples of that lies in "The Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie". This compilation of classic Warner Brothers cartoons is little more than that; thus making it far less enjoyable than it could have been.

What the "movie" tries to do is tie a bunch of classic Warner Brothers cartoons in with three eras of American history, in hopes of making some sort of connection. While the cartoons may tie in to the eras in question, the three acts themselves have absolutely nothing to do with each another. They're just three separate acts. Thus, there's no real story.

The "story" itself isn't the only problem with this "movie". The trio of added shorts to the bonus features offers very little to enhance the overall viewing expeience. The shorts are much more modern than the ones presented as part of any of the three acts. Much like how modern Disney movies are nothing like the classics, or the new Garfield Show is nothing like "Garfield and Friends", the modern Looney Tunes cartoons simply don't compare to the originals. Nor will they ever compare.

"The Looney Looney Looney Bugs Bunny Movie" isn't the worst venture that Warner Brothers has ever done with the Looney Tunes characters. that dishonor goes to the short lived "Loonatics" cartoon from the now defunct KidsWB network. And while the "movie" presents some great classic Looney tunes cartoons, anyone who owns any of the Looney Tunes Golden Collections--or other releases--will have little to no use for this poor excuse for a movie.
January 10, 2011
A fun, entertaining, hilarious movie of Loony Tunes. I loved it as a kid, and I'm sure kids today will love it too.
½ January 9, 2011
Even When I Was Child, Not the Best You Could Do

When I was a kid, the Looney Tunes characters were everywhere. I remember when Nickelodeon (a channel I don't so much watch anything on anymore, and that includes Nick at Nite) started playing a half hour block of them every night. This was something my family would actually sit down together and watch en masse. There weren't a lot of things that would get us to do that by then, and of course we all managed to disperse long enough to avoid the inevitable Bosco. Or Buddy, a distinction without a difference. But you still got an hour of Looney Tunes on Saturday mornings, I think on ABC. No, they hadn't made theatrical release ones in ages, but there were still places to watch them just on TV. Whereas the Cartoon Network (I don't watch anything on that channel anymore, either) didn't even do a New Year's marathon this year.

This is not a movie. This is an extended (79 minutes) clip show. It does start with the entire Oscar-winning "Knighty Knight Bugs," which leads into Bugs grousing about how Friz Freleng won an Oscar for it (not strictly true), while he got carrots. This segues badly into the first of three acts (explicitly labeled as such), which is about Yosemite Sam in Hell. Like you do. He is supposed to exchange his soul for Bugs Bunny's. Only of course Bugs always wins, and he eventually gives up. Act two is cartoons about the mob spliced together into a supposedly coherent storyline. Act three is the nominations for and presentation of the "Oswald," an award Friz supposedly gave for the best performance by a cartoon character. I think we get another whole cartoon here, "Three Little Bops." IMDB also says that we get all of "High Diving Hare" and "Birds Anonymous." It also says that we [i]don't[/i] get all of "Knighty Knight Bugs."

The problem is that, whether we do or don't, I'd rather just watch the cartoons. Even watching just a straight hour and a half of cartoons is preferable, and it's certainly something I've done before. Yes, okay, we used to watch [i]Mousterpiece Theatre[/i] when I was a child in which George Plimpton would talk at great length and with great pomposity (did he talk any other way?) about the psychosocial ramifications of Goofy cartoons or whatever. That was funny, or at least I remember that it was. However, for starters, they played the whole cartoon. They knew that was why we were there. They didn't even play it at a time when they expected little kids to be watching it, for all Disney now seems to assume that little kids are [i]always[/i] watching the Disney Channel. I've no real problem with making a full-length Looney Tunes movie, provided the person doing the voices gets it right, but this is not the way to go about it and never will be.

It may also be part of the problem that there is a greater importance in director than people realize, when it comes to Looney Tunes. You may note that, while we have Yosemite Sam, Pepé le Pew only gets a cameo. This is because the cartoons chosen here are Friz Freleng ones. Yosemite Sam, yes. Marvin the Martian, no. (Marvin, it should be noted, has been in more cartoons in about the last ten years, even counting the entire Duck Dodgers TV series as one thing, than he was during the entire Golden Age of Warner Bros. animation.) Bugs and Daffy are also slightly different in Freleng as opposed to Jones, creator of Pepé, Marvin, and Wile E. Coyote. And Bob McKimson is very different from the pair of them. Everyone, I think, gets the difference between Tex Avery cartoons and Chuck Jones cartoons, but I don't think people necessarily see that there's a difference between Friz Freleng and Chuck Jones. You have to really pay attention to see it, and most people don't.

As to why Friz did not technically win the Oscar, it's for the same reason Walt Disney, personally, had so many. Friz and Chuck did win Oscars eventually, and of course Chuck got a special honorary one. However, the award for Best Animated Short goes to [i]the producer[/i], or seems to have done until 1988. Which is why Walt managed to be nominated for four out of five nominees in 1938 (winning for "Ferdinand the Bull") and won every single year until 1940. The fact is, animation directors weren't considered very important by the studios until quite recently. Heck, writers for animated shows still aren't in the Screen Writers' Guild. After all, in this case, the Academy was created as appeasement. Even today, the awards don't necessarily go to the individual who deserves them. If you're listed as a producer, you get the Best Picture Oscar [i]even if[/i] all you do is find the money and give the director free rein. And while Bugs may have gotten carrots, since Friz Freleng worked at Termite Terrace, he got paid peanuts.
½ October 9, 2010
A series of wonderful classic WB shorts that are very poorly strung together. If it was just the shorts themselves, this movie would be a 5-star film, no question. However, the inserted footage only increases one's appreciation for the classic cartoons because the quality simply lacks.
½ September 10, 2010
I always have been a fan of the looney tunes. Always found them unique and funny. No doubt I was watching anything boring. Even today I still like these characters.
½ September 4, 2010
They have some good Looney Tunes gags and collections here. However the flow does not work.They didn't pull the film together well enough.
August 31, 2010
Just like the other looney tunes movies, this movie combines the classic cartoons into a semi-linear story. For the most part it works, but some of the times it's kinda annoying. But these movies remain enjoyable for kids and adults alike.
May 20, 2010
This second LOONEY TUNES compilation "feature" showcases the work of Friz Freleng, but while predecesscor BUGS BUNNY ROAD RUNNER MOVIE involved Bugs introducing the cartoons, LOONEY LOONEY LOONEY BUGS BUNNY MOVIE takes a considerably different direction. After opening with a screening of Oscar-winner "Knighty Knight Bugs" (its star complaining how he only got a carrot as opposed to his director), the film divides itself into three acts, stitching several cartoons to create a "plot" of some sort. In Act I, Yosemite Sam makes as deal with the devil to save his soul (this may be somewhat scary for youngsters at times). The second section casts Bugs Bunny as an FBI agent matching wits with tough gangsters Rocky and Mugsy. For the final third, amusingly titled "The Oswald Awards", three acclaimed shorts (including the jazzy "Three Little Bops" and "Birds Anonymous") are screened in a theatre before the Looney Tunes before seguing into a competition between Bugs and ever-envious Daffy Duck for the prize of an Oswold Award. The structure of the feature is somewhat choppy and awkward at times, with the interstitials sometimes coming across as out of place with the "classic" animation (also made obvious the differences in Mel Blanc's voice between the recorded periods), but the cartoons themselves are a riot and just as entertaining today as they were back then.
February 15, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

Any fan of Looney Tunes will love this.
February 1, 2010
Good stuff, but I wasn't as big a fan of Yosemite Sam as I was Elmer Fudd. He's absent. There are some great ones missing, like the one where Elmer Fudd has the spear and magic Helmet and Bugs Bunny conducts the opera. Other great ones are included, though.
March 12, 2009
Woo-ha!..lots of fun!
February 6, 2009
An amazing piece of cinema . . . no matter how you slice it!
December 15, 2008
no thanks not my thing
November 22, 2008
bug's bunny piece of **** i rather have a buffalo take a diarrea dump in my ear than watch this film!