Loose Cannons - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Loose Cannons Reviews

July 6, 2016
Saw it as a kid, I remember it was odd having Hackman play that role.
January 31, 2016
Very funny!! Dan Ackroyd is fantastic!
½ January 24, 2015
Can you believe the guy who made A Christmas Story also made this piece of shit?
June 18, 2014
I think Loose Cannons is a perfect example of a action/comedy film. With Gene Hackmans wisecracks, Dan Aykroyd being a schizo, and Dom Deluise being goofy you really can't lose. Hackman and Akroyd are mismatched partners. When there is a bunch of murders they get teamed up. Hackmans wisecracks in this movie are so good you can't help but laugh. Akroyd plays the schizophrenic who sometimes out of nowhere loses it. And when he does get ready to laugh big time. Now also add Dom Deluise who the bad guy's are out to get. He is pretty funny here too. To me that is a comedic star studded cast. You are well entertained through the whole movie and will find yourself laughing numerous times. Suspense and comedy collide in this epic caper Loose Cannons.
½ February 16, 2013
Loose Cannons buddy-cop comedy film, co-written and directed by Bob Clark. Starring Dan Aykroyd, Gene Hackman. I am great fan Dan, but this seems like cannons were pointed straight at audience, shelling us with rapid fires. Stay away!

NOTE: 10 for split personality act from Dan.
January 22, 2013
A buddy cop action comedy starring Gene Hackman, Dan Aykroyd, and Dom DeLuise? This should've been MUCH better and is only interesting in how many missteps, backfires, and bombs this movie makes. It's one joke that falls flat after another. However, the cast alone makes it an experiment worth watching.
December 20, 2012
Gene Hackman should have known better.
November 13, 2012
I would love to know how Hackman got roped into this stinker...on second thought, no i don't.
October 7, 2012
A fun cheesy mismatched early 90's buddy cop movie with a making fun of Hitler angle. Dan Aykroyd is great as the messed up genius and Gene Hackman works well as the straight man to the duo. Then throw in Dom DeLuise and you have a party. Not a great movie, but I have always liked it and it is worth seeing if you are a fan of the leads.
September 10, 2012
Hackman & Aykroyd pair up for this early 90's buddy cop romp. This was the era when Aykroyd was really hitting his stride and Dom DeLuise was really fat.
June 26, 2012
Looking for an interesting combination in casting? well look no further, Dan Aykroyd, Gene Hackman and Dom Deluise head this cop buddy flick. This film followed on from the popularity of the 'Lethal Weapon' franchise as did many others of the era and they are all pretty much the same. The unique carrot on a stick here is the casting really.

It certainly is an interesting choice, 80's motor mouthed quirky comedy legend Aykroyd, hard assed no nonsense Hackman and farcical spoof maestro Deluise (of the Mel Brooks/Gene Wilder spoof pack) all thrown together. This is the films downfall basically, the three leads are totally incompatible and never gel.

The film is your usual regular mismatched cop duo comedy/thriller with all the regular mismatched cop duo moments and sequences you would expect. Action is slow (with Deluise it has to be) and uninspiring and the attempted funny moments are just poor. Aykroyd is suppose to have a multiple personality disorder which you would think could be comedy gold...it isn't, its embarrassing to watch.

Pretty much a complete failure on all aspects, Hackman just doesn't fit into this kind of lunacy and it shows. Tries to be along the same lines as 'See No Evil, Hear No Evil' with Wilder and Pryor but doesn't come close.
June 6, 2012
See this is rated low by most but it was a great cast and I could tell they were having fun.
March 6, 2012
0% of critics liked it and 28% of users liked it...

I think the above stat is a little harsh on Loose Cannons - It's just okay - Nothing else.
I think you expect such high things from Hackman and Aykroyd and despite the performances being enjoyable enough (Aykroyd's multiple personality disorder brings many a funny moment) it just doesn't take that leap from okay to good or great.
It is what it is...I watched this on the Crackle App for free...And didn't expect great things. But it was free and it passed the time.
½ February 23, 2012
Sweet lord! As envisioned by Ed Wood ⦠? Even Birdemic is better made than this absolute horror of a movie.
½ February 4, 2012
aykroyd is the main selling point of this film .. but its not really enough.. a few laughs here and there .. an average buddy cop film from director bob clark
May 15, 2011
Could be funniest, could be more good writing, could be fresh... but isn't.
½ April 22, 2011
A classic police buddy movie with great actors.
April 8, 2011