Lootera - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lootera Reviews

½ October 20, 2013
Too slow for many, however watchable if you have a thing for photography
½ October 16, 2013
Lootera isn't one of those films which, upon reflection, you realize had complex consequences despite the simplistic plot. Instead, Lootera's slow pace further simplifies its plot. However, I enjoyed the cinematography and the societal depiction of the setting and time period. Overall, this film is just another example of a beautiful story executed well in some ways, where as poorly in others.
½ October 9, 2013
its subtlety is the most beautiful thing about this movie! in the times where over the top loud movies are earning the bucks....lootera entertains with wonderful songs, a good plot and mature acting! Motwane lives upto the standard he set with Udaan!
October 8, 2013
Best Indian film of 2013. I doubt anything can beat it. My faith in Ranveer Singh is restored and my respect for Sonakshi Sinha has gone from zero to, well, something. This film is a masterpiece. Vikramaditya Motwane and Anurag Kashyap are the perfect combination of art and heart. They, along with Bhavani Iyer, should be extremely proud of such a polished film.
October 1, 2013
The Last Leaf has been monstrously degraded. Some complain about its abrupt ending (instead of the whole movie), but, while I did find it abrupt, I was rather glad that the suffering is over. I just kept looking forward to, and it just kept disappointing me. Being generous (as usual), I'd give it 0/5.
½ October 1, 2013
brave attempt by Vikramaditya Motwane in the era of Blockbuster cum illogical action movies.....meaningful and soothing
September 26, 2013
Rich Cinematography, stunning performance and a bittersweet story. This indeed is a nice change from cheap bollywood romances.
September 26, 2013
Goes from being quaint in the beginning to depressing in the end.
September 21, 2013
only the song is good
½ September 20, 2013
A poetry in motion..a near perfect movie. After "Udaan" Motwane proves he is a master filmmaker. Cinematography is really breathtaking, Acting is perfect, story is beautiful, dialogues are fantastic, music score (specially the background score) is enchanting. The film is a contemporary classic. The film could not have been better made.
August 16, 2013
Amit Trivedi is one of the main piller of the film!!!!!
½ August 10, 2013
good screenplay, background score. art director deserves more than a praise, slow paced though. Liked the first half better than the second. Overall a good one!!
½ July 28, 2013
I never thought the Dabanng girl would get any movie that would require her screen presence for more than 15 mins. Lootera is that kind of cinema which was not much explored in Bollywood before. A slow paced but beautifully crafted movie around O'Henry's the Last Leaf, Lootera is that love story which will make you happy and sad. After all thats what love stories are supposed to be.
Set in 1950s, lootera is story of a zamindar's young daughter who falls in love with an archeologist who enters as guest in their house. But Mr. guest is more than what meets the eye.
I think it is that kind of movie which is better seen than heard by others. Go watch it.
I felt little dissappointed though how the last leaf felt little forced in the story, but saved by amit trivedi's powerful sweet music and main leads.
Ah one last thing, vidya balan may not recieve the best performance award this year as it belongs to someone else!
½ July 22, 2013
If you were expecting masala Bollywood with raunchy heroines,sleazy underground mafia dons and song dance sequences every half hour you will be very disappointed.
The script ,the photography ,the editing all come as a very pleasant surprise not to mention the heroine in very traditional saree,as we all know sarees can be worn/not as the case may be in different ways ,most of them not traditional,but I deviate.
The film is a visual treat for its sheer attention to detail without losing focus and for its skilful adaptation of Last Leaf by O Henry though I didnot see it mentioned in the acknowledgements.
In complete contrast to the rest ,this film is soft subtle romantic and achingly beautiful.
A must-see,my friends.
July 20, 2013
Lootera is a beacon of simplicity in film making & story-telling with a balance between arty & mainstream Bollywood! The elegance, class that the script has speaks volumes of Vikramaditya's direction & writing skills. Sonakshi & Ranveer prove themselves as good actors.
½ July 20, 2013
romance beyond anything.. this is the film i have been waiting for a long long time..a visual grandeur..exceptionally amazing in every way.
½ July 19, 2013
First of all there is a story and it is beautiful, Mind blowing performance by Sonakshi Sinha, Motwane does magic again (after Udaan).
July 18, 2013
Disappointing in the name of Classic romance.
July 18, 2013
I guess if a movie makes one think for a few days, it must be counted as extremely good in this time and age. Lootera does this despite the second half reliance on the well-known, over-sentimental O'Henry fable. In almost all other movies the lazy pace would have appeared an indulgence. But starting from the backdrop to the casting, acting, music are all a perfection. Artful. A masterpiece.
July 17, 2013
Movie was beautiful visualization. Beautiful work of art depicted onscreen.