The Lord of the Rings - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings Reviews

November 7, 2016
Ralph Bakshi's adaptation has inventive animation and a memorable score, but doesn't live up to the source material. The hobbits are more like weird little kids than the quaint creatures in Tolkien's novels. The film is somehow both too long and too short. It is too long for an animated film, and can't quite hold your attention, but too short in that it doesn't take time to immerse the audience in the world of the film or properly introduce the characters, as in Peter Jackson's films, and it leaves us hanging without a conclusion or sequel.
September 27, 2016
I loved this animated movie. It was a great tool for my imagination. Lord of the Rings is superb.
½ August 18, 2016
Ehhhhh not very good
½ July 9, 2016
Was rough, first time to ever watch a movie that just abruptly ended. Totally unexpected and a very long year waiting for the next one.
½ July 4, 2016
Ralph Bakshi's crowning achievement. Brilliantly done, though sadly unfinished due to time-constraints. A masterpiece and accurate.
April 18, 2016
Best animated film ever.
½ March 25, 2016
OK anime version of this
February 4, 2016
The Lord of the Rings is a woefully incomplete, misguidedly rotoscope-animation adaptation of only the first two books of Tolkien's phenomenal trilogy, without its magic and scale.
½ January 3, 2016
A surprisingly excellent presentation of the Lord of the Rings, until the abrupt ending with ridiculous explanation.
December 23, 2015
60%
Although it has a messy structure and the animation is uneven, Ralph Bakshi's bold attempt at Tolkien's epic fantasy is incomplete but features enough psychedelic imagery, charm, and affection towards the novel to be watchable.
½ October 30, 2015
Not nearly as bad as some claim it to be.
October 18, 2015
Definitely entertaining.
½ October 2, 2015
I got super bored. The animation is better than the series before, the hobbit but it doesn't have that same adventurous feeling to it. Frodo and the gang look super duper weird. They don't look like fighters like in the book and in the Peter Jackson's version of the movie. Great voices from the actors but I don't like how this studio did the characters. Gandalf is the only character they did right. Gandalf is the best character in the middle earth saga and nobody could ruin Gandalf. This could have been a lot better.
September 16, 2015
A good film that, unbelievably, ended without an ending.

Stupid.
September 8, 2015
Unique and captivating. That is until they start leaving out a lot of the plot.
½ September 1, 2015
It is horrible, the way they made the wizards walk was hilarious, I'm still laughing just thinking about it.
½ August 28, 2015
Dude this movie kicks ass!
July 19, 2015
This movie is nothing short of a disaster. I tried to come with an open mind but everything from the pacing to the animation was hard to stomach.

The most noteworthy part of this movie is its heavy use of rotoscoping, or animating by tracing live footage, and it does so inconsistently. The end product is a cast of cartoon characters surrounded by pseudo-live action extras. The effect is creepy and makes the animation look sloppy.

The plot is also extremely rushed. Rather than cutting extraneous plot to provide a better narrative Bakshi chooses to visit every plot point for 5 minutes. Yes, Bilbo has a birthday party, we visit Moria, we meet Galadriel, but each section is so short that it just serves to make the narrative more confusing. I can't imagine trying to watch this without already being familiar with the source material.

Lastly the characterization is nonexistent. Characters like Elrond, Legolas, and Gimli are little more than placeholders. Characters who DO get personalities are one dimensional and generally obnoxious (looking at you, Sam).

This movie was so, so painful to watch. If you want a TL;DR of this trainwreck watch the Prancing Pony scene and be thankful you skipped the other 2 hours
½ July 7, 2015
Despite it's many, many, MANY shortcomings, it fails to impress upon you a feeling of bewilderment, like Peter jackson's versions did, and is more consistent with the original, "english" feeling of the books and associatedd texts.
The black riders, in particular, are scary. Not that Peter Jackson's riders weren't ominous, but they were seldom scary - more big, american embellishments, like the rest of the film.
The art style is inconsistent, and the rotoscoping, though bold for it's time, fails in terms of uniting the more cartoon look of the characters with the secondary characters. The black riders, again, this style works for, because it makes them more unearthly. It was a mistake to use it for human characters, and the like. The orcs and elves look ridiculous, Peter Jackson's version did greater justice to both them and the balrog, which in this looks something of a chimera. At times the look can resemble a high-school art project.
The soundwork is hit-and-miss - sometimes the absence of music is keenly felt and the effect is stark. Often the vocal recording is inconsistent between shots for the same person. Overall, not a great score, though original and it has it's brilliant moments.
For all it's faults, Peter Jackson's version did a brilliant job of humanising the characters. Here they retain some of the amorphous glibness of the book's characters. Gollum is nowhere near the chaotic schizophrenic malevolent masterpiece that was Andy Serkis's recent work.

It's hard to watch without feelings of absolute smirking postmodern irony, but it's enjoyable - save the battle scenes (eminently dull). I hope that in 30 years time, I'll be showing my grandnieces and grandnephews this version, as well as Peter jackson's LOTR.

ps. Since when is the "s" in "saruman" silent?
April 30, 2015
Yet another childhood/adolescence/adulthood favorite. Brilliant animated effects and a grave atmosphere have made this my personal "go-to" for animated fantasy my entire life.