The Lord of the Rings - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings Reviews

½ February 22, 2017
Kinda nice to see Ralph Bakshi take on Tolkien's legacy with this adaptation. Unfortunately, the rotoscoping here is too distracting, and kills the rest of the experience! I'm sure American Pop is a masterpiece compared to this.
February 15, 2017
No Peter Jackson films, but I think there are some thing that Bakshi's version has done really really well. I'd actually kind of recommend checking it out.
½ February 3, 2017
There are some aspects of this film that I like better than Peter Jackson's adaptation. Frodo in this film seems more aggressive against the Nazgul. When he's dying on horseback with Arwen, he still fights them off. Sam is a bit too much of a goofball in this film, and you don't want a doofus as the protector of the ring bearer. The voice acting and animation in this film is very good, although the rotoscope portions in Boromir's death scene are a bit obvious. It is a very good adaptation, though over all, I still prefer Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy.
November 7, 2016
Ralph Bakshi's adaptation has inventive animation and a memorable score, but doesn't live up to the source material. The hobbits are more like weird little kids than the quaint creatures in Tolkien's novels. The film is somehow both too long and too short. It is too long for an animated film, and can't quite hold your attention, but too short in that it doesn't take time to immerse the audience in the world of the film or properly introduce the characters, as in Peter Jackson's films, and it leaves us hanging without a conclusion or sequel.
September 27, 2016
I loved this animated movie. It was a great tool for my imagination. Lord of the Rings is superb.
½ August 18, 2016
Ehhhhh not very good
½ July 9, 2016
Was rough, first time to ever watch a movie that just abruptly ended. Totally unexpected and a very long year waiting for the next one.
½ July 4, 2016
Ralph Bakshi's crowning achievement. Brilliantly done, though sadly unfinished due to time-constraints. A masterpiece and accurate.
April 18, 2016
Best animated film ever.
½ March 25, 2016
OK anime version of this
February 4, 2016
The Lord of the Rings is a woefully incomplete, misguidedly rotoscope-animation adaptation of only the first two books of Tolkien's phenomenal trilogy, without its magic and scale.
½ January 3, 2016
A surprisingly excellent presentation of the Lord of the Rings, until the abrupt ending with ridiculous explanation.
December 23, 2015
60%
Although it has a messy structure and the animation is uneven, Ralph Bakshi's bold attempt at Tolkien's epic fantasy is incomplete but features enough psychedelic imagery, charm, and affection towards the novel to be watchable.
½ October 30, 2015
Not nearly as bad as some claim it to be.
October 18, 2015
Definitely entertaining.
½ October 2, 2015
I got super bored. The animation is better than the series before, the hobbit but it doesn't have that same adventurous feeling to it. Frodo and the gang look super duper weird. They don't look like fighters like in the book and in the Peter Jackson's version of the movie. Great voices from the actors but I don't like how this studio did the characters. Gandalf is the only character they did right. Gandalf is the best character in the middle earth saga and nobody could ruin Gandalf. This could have been a lot better.
September 16, 2015
A good film that, unbelievably, ended without an ending.

Stupid.
September 8, 2015
Unique and captivating. That is until they start leaving out a lot of the plot.
½ September 1, 2015
It is horrible, the way they made the wizards walk was hilarious, I'm still laughing just thinking about it.
½ August 28, 2015
Dude this movie kicks ass!