The Lord of the Rings - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings Reviews

May 25, 2018
The Lord of the Rings shows that talent and vision go a long way. Peter Jackson has taken the responsibility to bring one of the most daunting (and beloved) books on the screen and it is a success. The fellowship of the rings starts are the saga and we are introduced to all the beloved characters from the Tolkein books. The cinematography, art design, editing- everything is top notch and you feel as though you are transported to hobbit land. Watch this film to understand the art of cinema(Best gift for a Tolkein nut or even if you are not)
April 27, 2018
Saw this in a theater that was empty except for my Mom and me. I already had read the Hobbit and LOTR novels, and seen the Rankin-Bsss Hobbit on TV, so I had a very good idea of the story line. Finally, realizing that the movie plot line was incredibly tangled, I watched the film to see how the various scenes from the novels were illustrated. Artistically, the film met my expectations as to variety, form, and color. i now have a copy of the remastered deluxe edition of the "original animated classic", and I want to see if maybe I can give Bakshi a few bonus points. Still, the Rankin-Bass Hobbit, has the most charm and the least battle scenes, and is only 77 minutes long. To have to sit for nearly three hours for the Bakshi and Jackson versions is asking a theater-goer (or DVD viewer) an awful lot.
March 30, 2018
Eerie, dark and adventurous.
½ December 30, 2017
Great for 7-10 year olds into warriors, wizards, orcs, and dragons, or LOTR fans who want to add to their collection.
½ November 30, 2017
No Peter Jackson films, but I think there are some thing that Bakshi's version has done really really well. I'd actually kind of recommend checking it out.
½ November 16, 2017
Some spectacular visuals, but they're all over the place and incongruent - which actually describes the whole film, really, as it alternates between painfully cheesy and beautifully dour. It's also a very, very,, VERY brisk take on the story, and chops so much of the plot out that it'd be all but incomprehensible to anyone who hadn't read the books (they really missed that the point of LotR is the journey, not the destination).

Most interesting is how it overtly and clearly influenced Jackson's storytelling in his (definitive) adaptations, as can be seen in his adoption of some of the best aspects of this film - the introduction explaining the history of the rings of power, and the alternating between the storylines in The Two Towers (as opposed to the book deciding to fully tell one thread, and then the other full thread), for example. And indeed, as a case study in how not to do certain things.

So, ultimately, it was interesting and ambitious, and pretty impressive for when it was made, but a success as a piece of accessible entertainment? Not so much. For the animation history and/or Tolkien nerds only, I'd say.
October 23, 2017
i think the Lord of the rings 1978 is a amazing movie but its not a kids movie because its very vilonte and dark bilbo gets stabbed with a arrow and bilbo gets stabbed with a sword and almost dies if the poison reaches his heart a guy gets shot with 3 arrows then bleeds then dies and they set his corpse out to sea and in the end the blood looks realistic
October 14, 2017
Unlike the live action masterpiece, I did not like this one, it was just a bad adaptation of a great book, and plus it was animated.... ANIMATED
September 7, 2017
An overconceived and quite narratively loaded 2 hr. 14 min. animated adaption of a fantasy book and a half, though the essence of the characters does seem to come through strongly enough, and some may even argue that it gets some things right over Peter Jackson's later version.
½ September 4, 2017
As a fan of Peter Jackson's trilogy, this version of Lord of the Rings is fascinating. It's like a condensed version of the story with an interesting mix of traditional animation and rotoscoping. It's also easy to see that Jackson drew some inspiration for the live-action version from this animated film. I just wish they could have finished the story.
August 14, 2017
A showcase for inspired imagery and sheer strangeness, a near-miss magnum opus from another era, before the cult of Tolkien went Hollywood.
July 24, 2017
I Like To Watch Live Action And Animated Films.
½ February 22, 2017
Kinda nice to see Ralph Bakshi take on Tolkien's legacy with this adaptation. Unfortunately, the rotoscoping here is too distracting, and kills the rest of the experience! I'm sure American Pop is a masterpiece compared to this.
½ February 3, 2017
There are some aspects of this film that I like better than Peter Jackson's adaptation. Frodo in this film seems more aggressive against the Nazgul. When he's dying on horseback with Arwen, he still fights them off. Sam is a bit too much of a goofball in this film, and you don't want a doofus as the protector of the ring bearer. The voice acting and animation in this film is very good, although the rotoscope portions in Boromir's death scene are a bit obvious. It is a very good adaptation, though over all, I still prefer Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy.
November 7, 2016
Ralph Bakshi's adaptation has inventive animation and a memorable score, but doesn't live up to the source material. The hobbits are more like weird little kids than the quaint creatures in Tolkien's novels. The film is somehow both too long and too short. It is too long for an animated film, and can't quite hold your attention, but too short in that it doesn't take time to immerse the audience in the world of the film or properly introduce the characters, as in Peter Jackson's films, and it leaves us hanging without a conclusion or sequel.
September 27, 2016
I loved this animated movie. It was a great tool for my imagination. Lord of the Rings is superb.
½ August 18, 2016
Ehhhhh not very good
½ July 9, 2016
Was rough, first time to ever watch a movie that just abruptly ended. Totally unexpected and a very long year waiting for the next one.
½ July 4, 2016
Ralph Bakshi's crowning achievement. Brilliantly done, though sadly unfinished due to time-constraints. A masterpiece and accurate.
April 18, 2016