The Lord of the Rings - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings Reviews

March 17, 2015
ok ok I admit, I'm curious...
March 14, 2015
I'm just gonna say that I think it's ALOT better than Rankin/Bass
½ February 28, 2015
I hadnt watched this since I was very young. Upon a further viewing, it is clear that this mis-guided masterwork is far ahead of its time. The best adaptation of "the Fellowship of the Ring" that will quite probably ever be made. Full of dread and atmosphere that is completely missing from Jackson's work. Full of fantasy, and horror, and slightly homo erotic undertones that will probably never return to the public's view of Tolkien.
½ January 18, 2015
I felt it was a little boring, kinda cheesy.
January 11, 2015
A master piece of animation, a total work of art. The first two books of the trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers are condensed in only 2 hours and a little bit more. Ralph Bakshi masterfully blends traditional animation with rotoscopic technique (shooting live-action first and redrawing real actors later) that gives an impressive realistic result, all in a movie that is fully experimental and spectacular.
January 8, 2015
El grande de la literatura fantastica llevado a una impecable produccion.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Pretty okey animated version of LOTR and well made despite its so old. Very similiar to Peter Jacksons new ones and follow the story much alike those. One bad thing its just covers the first 2 stories and not return of the king but overall good.
December 24, 2014
It's a dull and boring film that looks atrocious and offers nothing to the fans. Don't waste your time.
December 18, 2014
We get all the way to the end of The Battle for Helms Deep in two hours. Beat that, Jackson.
December 16, 2014
I don't recommend this movie story but i recommend its animation.
This is a movie that will be the target of anger nerds for having made this damn post-heretical work :)
"THE LORD OF THE RINGS" doesn't respect the original books.
Of the brilliant director who is Ralph Bakshi I prefer his provocative "Fritz The Cat" or his dilettante "Heavy Traffic"

Guys, get ready for a very incomplete adaptation.
December 14, 2014
I'm giving it such a high rating just because it is so halariously bad in all the best kind of ways XD
½ November 12, 2014
Kinda nice to see Ralph Bakshi take on Tolkien's legacy with this adaptation. Unfortunately, the rotoscoping here is too distracting, and kills the rest of the experience! I'm sure American Pop is a masterpiece compared to this.
October 10, 2014
Ralph Bakshi adapts J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings as an animated feature film. Co-scripted by Peter S. Beagle, only about half of the novel series is actually covered; from the forming of a fellowship to help Frodo Baggins destroy the Ring of Power to the siege at Helm's Deep. And, this leads to a rather awkward non-conclusion in which the story ends abruptly. The animation is also quite poor, combining rotoscoping with cel drawn animation; creating a bizarre style that's incredible distracting. Additionally, the coloring is extremely dark and drab, using a lot of browns and grays. Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings is an interesting attempt to bring Tolkien's work to the big screen, but it ultimately doesn't work.
September 21, 2014
would love to see this, since the live action trilogy was amazing
July 4, 2014
Many consider Ralph Bakshi's Lord Of The Rings film to be utterly pointless in the wake of the successful and popular adaptations that Peter Jackson directed years later. This movie does have its flaws, but it's visually ambitious and it actually does a fair job at squeezing The Fellowship Of The Ring and half of The Two Towers into a two-hour running time. Personal enjoyment will largely depend on whether the viewer finds the rotoscoped animation to be engaging or clumsy. It's far from Bakshi's best work, but this movie is an interesting curiosity to an enthusiast of either animation or medieval fantasy.
May 31, 2014
Watch Peter Jackson's live-action movies instead.
½ April 15, 2014
Prefer it to the Peter Jackson version. (sorry)
½ April 12, 2014
71%
This film is, in a word, fascinating.
April 10, 2014
i have never seen this one anyway i will give it five stars because i know it will be cool
April 6, 2014
This is the first Tolkien film I saw as a kid in the 90's, my mother having read the books to me already. I loved it then as a movie fairly literally retelling a favorite story, and I still like it post-Jackson because it offers something qualitatively different to Jackson and satisfying in a different way. I don't think either film production completely captures the books, so variety is an excellent spice. The musical score is weak, but the artwork and many of the actors are fabulous (John Hurt plays Aragorn!).