The Lord of the Rings Reviews

• Sep 09, 2019

Ralph Bakshi showcases not only a unique filmmaking style but also a sense of escapism. A truly massive undertaking from the amazing director of American Pop! Bakshi is known to take pretty large risks with his films and this one is one of the riskiest! It is easy to see in many ways how the live action version of Lord of the Rings was inspired by this film. Watching this as a kid has the added nostalgia benefits! However this film does have quite a few setbacks. The limited budget causes some really awkward animation. Some of the animation is breathtaking, while at other times it looks unfinished.

• Mar 11, 2019

Much better than the films with Elijah Wood.

Much better than the films with Elijah Wood.

• Jan 13, 2019

Amazing for the time period

Amazing for the time period

• Jan 11, 2019

Fan of Bakshi's style? You'll appreciate this version. If you're looking for the superior telling of Tolkien's story, though... this ain't it. Personally, I'm down with both Bakshi's and Jackson's versions, but that's because I grew up on Bakshi's films and appreciate his animation style. While this version is highly condensed and an incomplete telling of the story, I think it still does an admirable job of remaining faithful to the books.

• Nov 24, 2018

Ralph Bakshi did his best with the resources available to him in the late '70s, the background animation is good and there are a couple of good scenes. Plus, without this movie we likely wouldn't have gotten Peter Jackson's classic live-action trilogy and this movie had the better Frodo because I felt that Elijah Wood's Frodo was a bit too vulnerable. Wish those damn executives left poor Bakshi alone. Why, you ask? The character animation is incomplete, inconsistent and nightmarish to look at. Eww, their faces. The music blares loudly throughout most of the movie. The battle sequences are so confusing it's hard to tell or care who's winning this battle. There are some questionable character designs. Why is Boromir a Viking? John Hurt Aragorn, where are your pants? (speaking of pantsless rotoscoped Bakshi fantasy animation, there's an erectifying movie called Fire & Ice and yes, they remain like that throughout the entire movie since that's standard animation stuff) And last but not least, if you haven't read the books or seen the Jackson trilogy, the movie's confusing as hell. You'd think they'd give us time to get to know these characters a bit more, given the uncharacteristically long runtime for an animated film of over 2 hours. LotR 1978 gets points for effort but my God, is it weak in comparison to the Jackson movies.

• Sep 21, 2018

More book accurate and kid friendly than the live action trilogy. However, it is not the full story since they spent their entire budget and then some by the end of the battle of the Hornburg at Helm's Deep. Interesting artistic choices, though it is ultimately the reason the project fell apart as well.

• Sep 07, 2018

An amazing animated adaptation of Lord of the Rings - unfortunately it's only half of the actual story and the sequel was never made! Extremely, EXTREMELY frustrating. Watch at your own peril.

• Jul 15, 2018

One ring to rule them all...

One ring to rule them all...

• May 25, 2018

The Lord of the Rings shows that talent and vision go a long way. Peter Jackson has taken the responsibility to bring one of the most daunting (and beloved) books on the screen and it is a success. The fellowship of the rings starts are the saga and we are introduced to all the beloved characters from the Tolkein books. The cinematography, art design, editing- everything is top notch and you feel as though you are transported to hobbit land. Watch this film to understand the art of cinema(Best gift for a Tolkein nut or even if you are not)

• Apr 27, 2018

Saw this in a theater that was empty except for my Mom and me. I already had read the Hobbit and LOTR novels, and seen the Rankin-Bsss Hobbit on TV, so I had a very good idea of the story line. Finally, realizing that the movie plot line was incredibly tangled, I watched the film to see how the various scenes from the novels were illustrated. Artistically, the film met my expectations as to variety, form, and color. i now have a copy of the remastered deluxe edition of the "original animated classic", and I want to see if maybe I can give Bakshi a few bonus points. Still, the Rankin-Bass Hobbit, has the most charm and the least battle scenes, and is only 77 minutes long. To have to sit for nearly three hours for the Bakshi and Jackson versions is asking a theater-goer (or DVD viewer) an awful lot.