L'ordre et la morale (Rebellion) Reviews

• Dec 21, 2019

Straightforward, anti-imperialist war drama with a clear message; conventionally staged, but quite effective for the intended purpose.

• Jul 13, 2017

A well directed movie about an important subject most of us had never heard of. However, the movie drags too much, and could easily been half an hour shorter.

• Mar 29, 2015

Great account of this complex story.

Great account of this complex story.

• May 21, 2014

The intensity is always getting stronger and stronger as we understand how and why everything happened. Great acting, not too much "drama" music to guide our emotions, and a close and intimate view of France's way to deal with political issues concerning its own country. I appreciated that Kassovitz didn't fall into the trapped of the setting, amazing sets but we still feel like we're going to get trap into something big, and all just seems like a beautiful jail. To people wanting to know a bit more about New Caledonia than the white sanded beach, I would recommend this film. Not only because of the brilliant way it talks about such a complicated political issue at that period of time but also the story around the movie it-self really is interesting and I recommend to watch the Making-Off as well.

• Sep 26, 2013

A passionate resettling of a shameful episode in modern French colonial history. Well acted and filmed.

• Sep 11, 2013

Mathieu Kassovitz has been keeping a low profile for quite a few years, he starred in and directed some great movies, appeared in a few duds and then disappeared. This seems to be his comeback movie as both star and director. It's unlike any of his other movies, being based on a true event from recent history that I have to admit I knew nothing about. The film is well acted and very tense as it counts down to 'd-day' where the panic and confusion are captured perfectly. Some of the political scenes are perhaps a little dry but that is it's only let down.

• Sep 04, 2013

Another tense and absorbing piece from Mathieu Kassovitz, as intelligent and angry as ever.

• Aug 07, 2013

Absolutely riveting account of the hostage taking by the independence movement in New Caledonia in 1988 and the attempts of a negotiator to sort the mess out. As he makes progress French domestic politics approaches an election and the struggle of left and right in France dictate a different outcome. Sitting here in Australia and watching the way the indigenous people really didn't count I could only think of the problems we have with refugees and considering them human. Take every opportunity to see this film, but it's not entertainment.

• May 28, 2013

A hostage crisis based on true events! A negotiator planning the release! The film director playing the lead role! I am not talking about the French version of the overrated Hollywood thriller Argo. This French film is far more complex, multi-layered human drama questioning our geo-political situation and meaning of freedom and free-will. Boundaries between right and wrong, moral and amoral don't exist anymore in a world where personal ambition is paramount. The movie ends with a very powerful statement; Truth can hurt, but lies kill!

• Apr 26, 2013

Beautifully shot, tense and clearly presented war/political/hostage thriller of a real life event. Presents the case of colonialism, election propaganda and military morality really well.