Lords of Dogtown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lords of Dogtown Reviews

½ July 16, 2014
This was the first movie I ever saw for free on an employee discount working at a movie theater as a teenager back in 2005. I really liked it back then, because I didn't know much about the Z-Boys/Zephyr skateboard team and I never had much interest in skateboarding.

Watching it again years later I still enjoyed it, but I am a little put off by how much the actual story is change. Like most movies based off actual events this movies is very hollywoodized and takes a lot of liberties.

The performances in the movie are great. A young Emile Hirsch as Jay Adams is pretty good even if his lil'cholo gangsta accent is kind of cringe-worthy. Heath Ledger as Skip Engblom though completely steals the movie. It was his performance in this movie that made me not mind at all that he was going to play the joker in The Dark Knight and of course Dark Knight became one of the best movies of the last thirty years.
July 6, 2014
Great story about the Zboys and the skateboarders evaluation!
½ June 10, 2014
Wow , the early days of skate and a great performance from the late Heath Ledger.
June 2, 2014
Why are the top critics so terrible on this website?
June 1, 2014
Cool movie. You should watch it.
April 28, 2014
Lords of Dogtown was directed by Catherine Hardwicke in 2004. This film is not blockbuster movie because the actors are not know. It's a great drama and adventure about the life. In this movie we can see Emile Hirsch, Nikki Reed, Micheal Angarano and Johnny Knoxville. The film takes place at Venice in California. The story is based on the lives of several teenagers who spend their days to surfing. When summer comes Z-Boys decide it to go skate in empty pools to remplace the surf. They create a team of skateboarders and shortly time after they became famous. Problems of money broke their friendly relations and the team disappeared. I love so much this movie because it is a masterpiece cinematographic and I have chills every time I see it.
I really enjoyed it because of the acting is beautiful and I would have liked so much to live in this period.
I recommend much to see this film because is a classical in street culture and it is very nice to see the lives of young skateboarders and surfers.
April 13, 2014
will be nice to see Heath Ledger again. I remember liking this movie, but only because it reflects my childhood and way that things looked when I was growing up
½ March 19, 2014
Ma a che serve? Personaggi inutili e storia piatta.
½ February 9, 2014
It's that kind of story that I usually like, but the movie was not so good in the end.
½ February 1, 2014
Lords of Dogtown should've been the equivalent of what those kids did back in the 70's but it isn't. Heath Ledger stands out the most, of course.
January 17, 2014
I didn't believe it when my fiancé said this movie was one of the best skateboarding movies out there, but after seeing it and how great the story telling and skateboarding moves I was convinced this is by far one of the best!!! DOGTOWN!!!
December 27, 2013
This movie has so much going for it.Other than the pitch perfect performances from the lead actors it has Heath Ledger's third most memorable performance.Shea Whigham,Jeremy Renner and Sofia Vergara star in delightful cameos.Due to its direction its the perfect summer movie.The film's ending is handled with a lot of care and warmth after the total carnage of the first two acts.
November 20, 2013
A really fun movie!! Lots of skating which is why skateboarders will absolutely enjoy this film!! It also has some emotional situations!!
October 15, 2013
Brilliant story and in my opinion fantastic acting. Although it's pace seems far too quick and inevitably seems unsatisfying for what is already a fairly long film. PS Ledger is perfect.
September 28, 2013
The stroyline might not be as solid, but the actors are superb.
August 12, 2013
Great movie but the story Is not entirely true it is more of a over dramatized version of the truth In real life Sid wasn't a regular but a skate enthusiast kid whose final wish was to have the zboys skate his back yard pool they probably knew him in real life but didn't skate with him also events didn't happen as explained jay was 13 instead of 16 at the time the zboys was formed and the zephyr skate team disbanded after 6 months the real shop was owned by skip engblom Craig stecyk and jeff ho the director took beyond way to many liberties with the truth so much so that Jeff ho asked not to be mentioned in the film the actual zboys make appearances in the film in cameos it's not a bad film just not the true story watch the documentary dogtown and zboys
August 10, 2013
why did i just now see this?!! it was pretty great
August 10, 2013
why did i just now see this?!! it was pretty great
August 6, 2013
Aprs l'avoir ecouter, j'ai branche mon 64 et jai joue a Tony Hawk ! :P
July 19, 2013
I've never been a fan of skateboarding or the skateboarding culture but this was a highly energetic and fascinating movie. GREAT soundtrack too!