Lost Angels: Skid Row Is My Home - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lost Angels: Skid Row Is My Home Reviews

October 5, 2015
While the narration never quite clicked for me, the subjects of this documentary provide ample insights and quandaries to prod the viewer to keep their own internal monologue.
November 30, 2014
Excelente documental sobre los homeless de downtown LA. esas historias humanas q te dejan preguntando Por que? Aun hay esperanza
½ May 27, 2014
Saw this in my economics class.
It really helps you appreciate just how much we have, while enlightening us to the fact that the most underprivileged of people still find happy lives for themselves.
½ April 21, 2014
Probably the best documentary I've ever watched on netflix. Highly recommend watching it
February 27, 2014
I feel so blessed to live in Canada, where we have access to health care of all varieties, including mental health. This movie mostly boiled down to the fact that mental health facilities no longer exist in most parts of the United States and therefore people are thrown onto the streets or into prisons.
February 10, 2014
One of those documentaries everyone should see. There's always so much more we can do.
January 22, 2014
A heartbreaking yet triumphant look at Skid Row in LA thru its ppl, its beacons of help like the Midnight Mission, and the LAMP community which specifically helps the mentally ill in that district.
All this, bc the director worked on the movie The Soloist, and felt the ppl he met of skid row would make an interesting documentary.
You'll see the political changes - both good but mostly bad, and what works and does not work to help the ppl there.
There is much ambiguity and contradiction in what the community says, wants, needs, and gets - from needing housing to not wanting to be "herded" into housing, to have protection and multilevel support, but also somehow be allowed their misguided, damaging behaviors.
Thankfully there are several voices of reason thru experts and advocates like Mollie Lowery, founder of LAMP and former nun - who expresses their offer of stability to the disenfranchised, the homeless, and particularly the mentally ill.
The local churches are integral to the help given, and this was my personal joy to see - even a secular documentary could not avoid the immense good done by the fellow believers who pour themselves out for the needy. =D
It seemed, in the third quarter of the movie the stories of injustice via the area politics muddled the initial message of hope, yet was necessary.
They draw clear lines around the problems and the ineffective actions made by the city of LA, and the LAPD.
The last act, redemptively, refocuses the movie on the ppl. Some are improving themselves and some even improving their community.

5 of 5
October 21, 2013
Skid Row: often romanticized and even more misunderstood. This documentary takes a harsh, real look at the life and times of Skid Row inhabitants. We follow the day to day struggles of a few characters that an average American could only imagine existed in the movies.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel for Skid Row and it starts with its residents who take their experiences and turn their own life lessons in to action to help one another and elevate each others' situations.

On Netflix now. Whether you have an interest in social justice or simply a curiosity in how the other side lives, you will not be disappointed with this watch.
September 16, 2013
Lost Angels talks about the famous Skid row, a place were the homeless stay but most of this folks have some type of trauma in there lives or some sort of mental illness. Unfortunately most of this people end up on this streets. My favorite characters were KK and Leanne, their relationship was the cutest thing I've ever seen on a documentary but with a bittersweet ending. Thank god they're people who become helpers around the community to support this folks, because its quite unfortunate that the city just puts them in jail instead of really helping them.
August 8, 2013
Great documentary. Very moving.
July 22, 2013
Excellent! Compassionate and moving, anyone who is interested and cares about the struggle of those who live on the streets should see this.
July 13, 2013
Just watched this on Netflix...Amazing, sobering, touching, and moving documentary. Even threw all the injustces, and struggles theres still so much live and compassion.. I HIGHLY recomend this flim. I laughed, I cried, and I also felt a sense of hope, and inserastion.
July 13, 2013
This movie is amazing. It's something that changes you as a person.
Lost Angels: Skid row will change your outlook on many things.
½ July 11, 2013
Sad and depressing, yet simultaneously uplifting somehow. It's a great documentary.
June 12, 2013
This is not a soap box documentary. A good look into real lives without having guilt shoved down your throat.
½ June 4, 2013
Informative, inspirational and sad
May 22, 2013
Heartbreaking. America should be ashamed how they treat the homeless and mentally ill.
½ May 17, 2013
And here I thought skid row was a band (bad joke). Antonio Villaraigosa and William Bratton got my blood boilling and they can suck it. Please let there be a Hell in the afterlife.
May 15, 2013
This time I agree with the critics (all 100% of them) that liked this revealing, shocking, powerful documentary about the lives of homeless people in skid row. This morning when I woke up the first thing I did was thank the Lord that I have a nice apt, food on the table, medical and dental insurance, things that while many of us take for granted, the homeless folks of skid row would be so grateful for. I applaud the ones that were determined and still healthy enough to leave skid row and obtain jobs in the community and while I agree with what Mayor Villaraigosa did to clean up the streets, it is pointless to give tickets to homeless people (many of them mentally ill) that will not get paid causing a warrant for their arrest, then jail time, which in turn makes it harder to obtain jobs and safe housing for these individuals struggling to stay alive on the streets. No script, no improvisation, these are real homeless people and they share their stories of survival with the viewer. Not all have a happy ending and the five critic reviews are right on target. Angelenos watch this eye opening film which affects us in many ways than one. Two thumbs way up and available on Netflix instant streaming!
April 1, 2013
Extremely sad, really good, simple and human documentary.