Lost In Thailand - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lost In Thailand Reviews

½ May 28, 2016
It is very silly and very energetic, becoming an extremely entertaining watch. The acting is wonderful and is what propels the comedy, making the movie oddly charming.
May 4, 2016
This horrible film really drives me crazy.
½ March 2, 2015
A Chinese businessman travels to Thailand searching for his boss (for reasons that are not very well explained) followed by a rival who needs to find their boss first. He meets an idiot man-child on the plan and ends up using him to try to thwart his rival. Bonds form, lessons are learned ... you'll laugh, you'll cry, and so on. This was apparently the top grossing film in China and is referred to as "China's 'The Hangover'". No ... it's more like China's "Midnight Run" meets China's "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", though not as good as either of those films. It's moderately entertaining.
October 9, 2014
It starts off quite slow, building context. Once Baobao is introduced the fun begins. Baoqiang Wang steals the show with his ridiculous and simple character.
½ July 17, 2014
Yes, even the Chinese have jumped on The Hangover bandwagon.
½ May 29, 2014
Not a good movie, but a light and goofy one that moves at a lightning fast pace. This is much like Schlussmacher, and many others, that's just the most recent example of it, where a serious business manage, on the verge of being set for life with a revolutionary renewable energy plan, is stuck with a goofy, but well-intentioned, man whose friendship teaches him what's really important in life. Predictable, and a little silly, but that's what you get with this film. Of course Xu Lang, the business manager, at first, is driven nuts by Baobao's ways and how he always finds a way to get both of them in trouble, etc. Baobao starts to grow on him and by the end of the film they're the best of friends and their lives are changed forever. Of course, that's a little goofy considering that they only spent a couple of days together, but let's go with that. The film is fine, it doesn't really offer much of anything you haven't seen elsewhere. I do think that the leads have great chemistry with each other, which makes this type of film easier to watch. It also has a pretty memorable villain. He wasn't great, but he was funny and easily the highlight of the film. Another positive is that the film moves so fast that it doesn't really give you much time to think about its flaws while you're watching it. Of course, what they don't realize is that you're going to do that AFTER the film is over, but I have to give props to the film for at least managing to move fast for its length, and for trying to keep things entertaining for a broader audience. Its attempts don't always work, but I'm sure more people will walk away from this with a smile on their face than those that won't and I'm pretty sure that was the filmmaker's intention. There is some melodrama here, nothing like the Korean films, but it still felt incredibly out-of-place. Seeing Xu Lang, in the end, phone his wife to admit his mistakes and trying to make up for them while he's crying and a sad score plays in the background was really bad. Thankfully it's not much and they quickly move away from that. There's also some drama with Baobao and his sick mother but, again, it's kept to a minimum. Didn't really think this was that great of a movie, but its high energy and solid cast will certainly win over some people. This was average, but the good kind...if that even makes sense.
½ February 17, 2014
For some fun and goofs, it generally succeeds, but on a technical level, it fails. But when you combine them together, you get a mediocre movie. There are points where it just starts to get annoying instead of funny.
June 20, 2013
It's not too bad, mostly slapstick comedy. Too much coincidence in this movie that made it too predictable.
June 8, 2013
The plots ran in the same pattern of many other comedic adventure films. Also, the jokes in the movie made no different. Actually this film itself was not bad, but i just can't see how it could become the so-called 'Phenomenal' like other people said.
PantaOz
½ June 6, 2013
I went on the premiere of this comedy (and waited until now to see the film listed on RT) of the director Xu Zheng and I have to admit that I'd never been in such full cinema in China. Usually half of the theatre is empty but this time there was no spare seat which resulted in our row collapsing at the end and we had to watch the remaining 10 minutes seating on the floor! The good thing is that nobody left and we all laughed big time until the closing credits. It was almost identical atmosphere from the last Xu Zheng and Wang Baoqiang project from 2010 "Lost on Journey".

A crazy story of two colleagues from the same company trying to find their boss to sign a power of attorney for an international contract for a newly invented "super gas", started in China and followed in Thailand where most of the action was happening. A screenplay full of action and funny situations included a third character, confused onion cake maker who doesn't seem all there, trying to fulfil a list of dreams... while leaving his tour group to follow his new "friend" who is just using him. The trio Xu Zheng, Wang Baoqiang, and Huang Bo were perfectly cast and chemistry between them was so obvious that the atmosphere created had to be fun - no other result was possible.

Be ready for laughs all around 105 minutes while watching this action filled Chinese comedy perfectly suited for any age (most of the time)... if you are watching the movie with elderly or youngsters maybe there is a need to explain the ladyboys in some of the scenes! Have fun!
April 30, 2013
Pirated copy . .of Hangover 2 plot. .
April 10, 2013
Disappointed because over-expected. Compared with the previous chapter, this one is not funny at all.
March 30, 2013
This is a childish and silly film but ultimately quite charming. Watch it with your girlfriend.
March 17, 2013
not that funny , don't understand why so many people went to watch it
March 3, 2013
First I wouldn't listen to Peneflix who doesn't know a funny movie when he sees it. Which they most likely liked Identity Thief. But I just watched Lost in Thailand yesterday and I was laughing so hard that I was crying thru out the movie. This movie is WORTH seeing. Side note I'm American and didn't get lost from understanding the story.
February 21, 2013
It's a great movie, with small cost and huge gain. The plots were well designed and the actors are all of the best in China. I mean, they can really act, instead of simply having good-looking faces. It is really a potty for people who don't speak Chinese. Although the English scripts were translated very well, still hard for non Chinese speakers to get the punch line sometimes. But I mean, it's always difficulty for comedies to be translated and shared by people from different countries, isn't it.
February 18, 2013
MMmm i herd it good i thot the it was called go to china or back 4rm skool thoh.
½ February 17, 2013
A 1 billion rmb box office comedy, but I found that the same framework with Hui's brothers comedy in 80's in HK.... the gags are quite low in some way.
February 15, 2013
The second highest grossing film in Chinese history (US $200 million), and I found it embarrassingly bland, ridiculous, sophomoric; unworthy of the viewing time. I watched with three Chinese Americans whose chuckles were tepid and vastly sporadic. "Lost in Thailand" will be "lost" on Western audiences; will not last a week in AMC theatres which were recently purchased by China's huge theatre circuit, Dalina Wanda Group.
Possibly, being a product of a democratic environment, I was incapable of grasping what qualifies as entertainment in an authoritarian milieu. At best, a morality theme: minimal spiritual enrichment comes to those who blindly quest for notoriety and wealth; geared to the most simplistic of souls. Supremely silly, the major actors bare a pathetic resemblance to the "Three Stooges"; their jejune histrionics illicit groans, not giggles. That being stated there were a few moments of splendor: Thailand and its majestic temples, shimmering, lustrous landscapes, untraveled, pristine roads, contrasted with state-of-the-art airports, cell phone dilemmas, lend a satisfying juxtaposition between two disparate worlds.
Publilius Syrus, a Latin mime writer in the 1st century BC, wisely wrote: "Fortune makes a fool of him she favors too much". In "Lost in Thailand" the foolishness oozes from the screen, suffocating the viewer.
ONE STAR!