Lost Things Reviews

• Oct 02, 2011

Low budget but not bad at all, feels like the movie Triangle ripped off the idea for Lost Things. Not particularly scary but the suspense and mystery do work even if the direction makes it a little too obvious. Worth seeing.

• Feb 09, 2011

Lost Things (2003) -- [3.0] -- A super-low budget Australian flick that tries very, very hard to be a heady psychological thriller. From start to finish, there are only five characters and a single beach setting, so the movie ends up feeling claustrophobic in a bad, cheap way. Once the characters have difficulty discerning fantasy from reality and one of them turns out to (maybe?) be the Devil, I lost interest. Don't expect any action, thrills, or gore -- just a bunch of esoteric bullshit.

• Oct 04, 2008

This horror-movie from Australia was not one bit scary. It tried to be witty and confusing, but it was just plain bullshit with bad actors.

• Sep 29, 2008

I don't really get it. But as far as I can say the idea is very interesting. The acting is a little bit strange as is the movie.

• Sep 11, 2008

Admirable film, especially when you learn it was shot in less than a fortnight with no budget. Surprisingly atmospheric and creepy at times (impressive use of music and sound effects, too), with an okay plot. I found it mostly predictable, though, and to be honest I the ending I envisioned in my head would've been much better than the one this film had. People have criticised the plot for being confusing the nonsensical. Whilst it is confusing at first, I thought it all made sense in the end. The dialogue changes rapidly from honest to nauseating, but then again I've heard worse from other people my age, so perhaps it's more realistic than I thought. I don't think the film is as deep as it likes to think it is, but now I'm just nitpicking (and then again I hate the overuse of criticisms like "not deep enough").

• Aug 29, 2008

The acting left a lot to be desired, but the location worked well as a eerie place. Australia seems to be easy that way for some reason.

• Aug 18, 2008

This quite good Aussie fright flick manages to make the beach in broad daylight seem like a scary place. PS For interesting theological reflections on the horror genre see Bryan Stone, "The Sanctification of Fear: Images of the Religious in Horror Films," Journal of Religion and Film Vol. 5, No. 2 October 2001 and Brian Godawa's "A Theology of Horror Movies."

• May 16, 2008

A truly strange and confusing horror film that I did not have the pleasure viewing. The acting, script, and story-line were disastrous, but the setting was creepy and beautiful. Not worth the watch.

• Feb 15, 2008

It's really weird and eerie, but it's worth the watch. Mind puzzling.

It's really weird and eerie, but it's worth the watch. Mind puzzling.

• Sep 06, 2007

A poor attempt at matching Lynch's style. Drags too much throughout, especially at the end.