The Lottery - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lottery Reviews

½ November 4, 2015
I WAS HOPING THE I WOULD FINALLY GET TO WATCH A MOVIE THAT DIDNT' MAKE ME FUCKING SUICIDAL. BUT HOLY MOLY WAS I WRONG. THIS PIECE OF SHIT MOVIE IS PROBABLY THE WORST THING TO EVER PENETRATE MY UNFORTUNATE EYEBALLS. I WOULD RATHER HAVE KILLER BEES INJECTED DIRECTLY INTO MY ANUS OVER AND OVER AGAIN FOR ALL OF ETERNITY THAN WATCH THIS PIECE OF SHIT MADE-FOR-TV-GOUGE-MY-EYEBALLS-OUT-IN-HORROR PILE OF ELEPHANT FECES EVER AGAIN
½ June 5, 2012
Call me twisted, sadistic and on the verge of insane, but I think this film can be perfectly described as "beautiful."
June 3, 2012
A TV ending that stones to death whatever link there was to Jackson's story.
March 9, 2009
This movie does its job. It is a great thriller and I remember seeing most of it as a kid so I decided to give it another more full viewing. I remember the stoning and it is pretty violent for a TV movie. The movie has a depressing ending. I felt the way the town was so quiet and secluded was well done.
½ December 1, 2008
Russell is great as usual, but the plot isn't very sophisticated or smart. Though there are suspenseful/scary moments in the film, it's not all that.
November 22, 2008
A thrilling movie the first time you see it but after that euh...
November 19, 2008
I would give it no stars, except that I admit the way the film was made was well done...good acting, filming, etc. I just hate the story with a passion! It's so depressing! It can have the best acting in the world, but sorry, the storyline is just horrific. I never want to watch this again...it was so upsetting. We watched this in my English class because it's based on a short story- but the short story sucks too. Haha, I just didn't like it.
November 14, 2008
Eh, this film isn't that good despite Keri Russell and Dan Cortese. Might as well read the original Shirley Jackson short story this is based on. Though the story isn't quite as clear on the "why."
September 6, 2008
I have read the story...A
August 23, 2008
i watched this movie on lifetime. i thought it was ok and gruesome. it had keri russell in it. what that town did every year is horrible. scarficing a member of your town and then stoning them to death is wrong.i didnt like the ending because it left you wondering what happens next.
June 13, 2008
A decent attempt to adapt a short story, but it gives up on itself for the last half-hour
April 28, 2008
Not bad, but not exactly riveting. NCIS fans watch for Probie (McGee).
½ March 8, 2008
If this is the film based on the Shirley Jackson short story, it disturbed the living crap out of me when I saw it in 8th grade.
February 7, 2008
(Given the dearth of information on this Flixter page, I'm making an assumption that this page refers to the same film I'm reviewing!!)

I first saw this film when it premiered on TV 10-12 years ago and forgot the name. Years later I came across it again and finally got the DVD version.

Based on the short story by horror writer Shirley Jackson (who also wrote "The Haunting Of Hill House"), "The Lottery" is the film adaption of a story that was controversial in the USA of 1948 when it was first published.
It follows the tale of a man who returns to the village of his distant childhood to locate his mother's grave thus enabling him to scatter his father's ashes by her side. The villagers however are particularly unhelpful, at first claiming no knowledge of her, then giving conflicting accounts of how his mother died, until they become openly hostile towards him.

There are two twists to the tale, one being the truth regarding his mother's death, followed by a more subtle and disturbing one right at the very end. Although a modern, well-produced little film, "The Lottery" has the feel of an earlier era of "The Wicker Man" or "Doomwatch" in its tale of a strange isolated community with a nasty secret to hide.

With an almost perfect pace, good solid performances from the whole cast, and the eerie paradox of perfectly happy, yet strangely disturbing village life, this is one of my favourite films.
November 1, 2007
Not interested. I usually avoid horror movies.
October 24, 2007
I didn't think this movie was half bad. More like a TV movie...but if you can get it for free....definitely watch it! In a way it's like a lame version of the wicker man....but still neat to watch.
May 29, 2007
shirley jackson is a good author.
May 28, 2007
is this movie based on the short story by Shirley Jackson? disturbing little story but a very good one
April 2, 2007
awesome movie, not a very well known one, but very intresting!
February 23, 2007
looks really good! Heard the short story was really good!