Louisa May Alcott's 'The Inheritance' (1997)

TOMATOMETER

——

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Movie Info

Forbidden love between a beautiful orphan and an eligible upper-class bachelor sparks jealousy and deceit in the family that took her in as a child in this period drama from director Bobby Roth. As a child, Edith Adelon (Cari Shayne) was taken in by the wealthy Henry Hamilton (Tom Conti) so that she could live at the lavish Evanswood Estate and serve as a paid companion to Henry's lonesome daughter Amy (Brigitta Dau). Over the years, Amy and Edith grow to become the best of friends and most personal of confidantes, though everything changes when a trio of visitors arrive to attend the annual Greens Cup horse race and Beatrice Hamilton (Meredith Baxter) enlists Edith's help in choosing an marriageable suitor for cousin Ida Glenshaw (Brigid Brannagh). When both of the eligible bachelors show signs of affection for Edith instead of Ida, the rising tensions force the privileged orphan to consider her true status among the upper class.
Rating:

as Arliss Johnston
Paul Anthony Stewart
as Frederick Arlington
Show More Cast

Critic Reviews for Louisa May Alcott's 'The Inheritance'

There are no critic reviews yet for Louisa May Alcott's 'The Inheritance'. Keep checking Rotten Tomatoes for updates!

Audience Reviews for Louisa May Alcott's 'The Inheritance'

½

I hope more people seek out and find this tv-movie. It is based on Louisa May Alcott's novel of the same name and is a wonderful hidden gem of the period drama genre. The story is perhaps a bit too dependant on the coincidental but the characters will please with their genuineness and Gibson and Shayne together is a treat. Period drama fans need to find and enjoy this film now!

Rachel Sexton
Rachel Sexton
½

This movie is heartwarming and fun. The story is thick with predicament after the other, and a satisfying ending that leaves you with a good feeling. The acting was very professional, and although its cinematography is not as desired as other movies, the story and scenery out way it.

Hannah King
Hannah King

Not a bad little movie but not one of the better ones. It was nice to see Meredith Baxter in a different role. I enjoyed the relationship between Edith and Mr. Hamilton. He treated her like a real daughter. I have to say that even though Thomas Gibson looked nice, I just wasn't drawn to his character. I wanted the main love story to be more than what it was.

sloopy chicken lips  (aka Cynthia)
sloopy chicken lips (aka Cynthia)

Discussion Forum

Discuss Louisa May Alcott's 'The Inheritance' on our Movie forum!

News & Features