Love Actually - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love Actually Reviews

½ May 7, 2016
******Spoilers********
This movie was pretty terrible.
The biggest complaints I'm hearing is that there were too many story lines going on. Okay, well, put all that aside... I don't mind movies with many story lines. As long as the story lines are good, and they in all in some way merge.
Well no.
Most are not good; I agree with the poster that says that the writer has some fetish of subservient women. These powerful men all fall in love with their secretaries, or maids, without even having so much as a dinner with them. Biggest take away - Men are stupid ---
I didn't mind the story line with the guy who goes to America, I just wrote that off as a parody and not to be taken seriously.
The other stories (the ones we were supposed to take seriously) were little disappointing. Especially the prime minister's story line.. WTH was that?
The only one I (sort of) liked was the one with the little boy who learns to play the guitar, although it got silly towards the end.. there is no way he would have gotten that far with airport security.. but still it was cute. I would like to imagine since he was in the same class as her, he knew something about her.
I will say the aging rockstar story line was funny to watch.
Other than that, movie is not recommended.
April 13, 2016
Loved this movie and all the characters! Especially the governor and the assistant. The little kids were cute too. Liam neeson takes the cake yet again.
½ March 28, 2016
Re-watched.

Seeing it again reminded me of why I fell deeply in love with it the first time. This film is one colossal gift box holding pleasant treats, each being beautiful in itself. And it's so good how all those individual stories smoothly came together at the end, making them the fine details of one big work of art, that is Love Actually.
March 25, 2016
haven't seen it...might though.
March 23, 2016
it's just heartwarming and fun. Yes, it's camp, but it owns it and delivers.
March 23, 2016
Some believe "Love Actually" is a senseless gimmick - a surface holiday love story with beautiful people... and not even a holiday story at that, as seen from recent vehement debates (and maybe not even beautiful people, owing to the goofus face of Kris Marshall who's at least got a big knob). For me and countless others though, never has so many intertwining stories meshed so well with the messages of peace, goodwill, love of all kinds, and even gifting. There is seriously no character or storyline that I don't like.

To those who say Jamie and Aurelia falling in love without speaking the same language is stupid and unrealistic, consider the intuitive connection that some people have and how they understand each other and communicate through actions and looks other than words, forming emotional bonds through the journey of misunderstanding and miscommunication.

To those who say Sarah's an idiot for answering her mentally ill brother's phone call in the middle of getting it on with hot Karl, consider how that obsessive impulse of hers is to show that she needs to take care of him as much as he needs taking care of, and perhaps that's why she shouldn't have a romantic relationship right now.

To those who hate Mia for seducing Harry, consider the slut-shaming double standard of women always being the seducers and the men always having no choice but to be seduced. Mia flirts with her married boss; he is still culpable for deceiving his wife.

To those who think Colin and the American quintet is misogynistic and anti-American, consider the pure, "lust, actually" fantasy fulfillment in an otherwise pretty earnest, British movie. In an arguable attempt at showing female agency, Colin is no longer the pushy manwhore; the women are now the pursuers, and their totally obvious macking techniques show that they are quite aware of the easy-American-girl-who-falls-for-foreigners stereotype, and they use it to their advantage.

To those who say Mark is a pansy for harboring romantic feelings for Juliet, a woman he seems to hardly know (as evidenced allegedly by their few scenes together), consider her honest self-deprecation (claiming she's nice aside from for her bad taste in pie), amiability (in hoping she and Mark can be better friends), and direct motivation (in pursuing the video she knows he clearly has). In sum, she HAS a personality and is certainly likable, even lovable. To those who say they are both douches - he for professing his feelings and she for kissing him - consider Mark's utterly agenda-less act of love as a gift of truth, friendship, and apology for his coldness, and Juliet's kiss as one of comfort and thanks.

I love "Love Actually," and anybody who doesn't should get a heart!
March 6, 2016
Not averse to seeing this.
½ February 19, 2016
'Love Actually' is a nice guilty pleasure movie.
½ February 12, 2016
I loved the vignette with Colin Firth. Hugh Grant was not even vaguely believable as prime minister. A few offensive characters. It might be worth the $2.99 rental, for Colin Firth alone
½ February 8, 2016
A wonderful film for those sappy holidays (Valentine, Christmas etc...)
February 5, 2016
Deeply flawed cheesy fun. Some of the vignettes - and yes Virginia, there is a shit ton of them - really work on the old heartstrings and funny bones in unexpected and satisfying ways. Not recommended family viewing despite appearances.
January 31, 2016
I hate Richard Curtis.
January 29, 2016
mmm... je sais pas si je l'ai vu
½ January 20, 2016
Guilty pleasure. A Christmas treat :-)
½ January 18, 2016
i don't know anything about this one
January 16, 2016
Love Actually is a witty, charming and heartwarming anthology of holiday cheer with a terrific ensemble cast---including Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman and Liam Neeson---all wrapped up in a neat little package.
January 15, 2016
The little kid with the spikey orange hair
½ January 13, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie.63% is very mean I think !Colin Firth was my favourite part as Jamie
January 13, 2016
''Love Actually'' is charming and romantic, I must say. It's interesting that it talks about one-sided love, or the pain of losing someone you love,or the love that is never completed.However, from a directorial point of view, it is as if they couldn't ''sew'' the movie together properly. Scenes are cut off abruptly, moving to the next one, leaving the audience to wonder ''what the hell just happened''.Other than that,Love Actually is an easy-to-watch movie.