Love and Basketball - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love and Basketball Reviews

½ August 22, 2017
One Of My Favorite Movies! Excellent Script, Great Casting.
July 18, 2017
To boring for me to watch
June 9, 2017
tears man! and the soundtrack... hell ya
½ May 31, 2017
Love and Basketball is cliche at times but really works thanks to the chemistry with Epps and Lathan. It's simple, funny, and full of heart.
½ April 27, 2017
If you're the type to like romantic movies, where the actors fall in love in an unexpected way then this is your best choice. With them both having a secret crush on each other but with the love and hate relationship it's like everyone's fairytale story.
March 26, 2017
This is a beautifully told love story. The characters are very believable and I love the "all star" cast. It is very well directed. It is one of my favorite love story.
January 25, 2017
All of you people that give a bad review the word that comes to me is they straight up stupid. Until this movie keeps playing I will watch it till the day I die I swear to that!!!!!
November 13, 2016
produced by Spike Lee and directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood the movie is rightfully dramatic and romantic
Monica has always loved playing basketball and right from childhood she's always challenged the very restrictive gender norms
one of the things they tackle is the moment a woman acts out of character she's expected to sit back and act like a lady should, it's not the easiest thing for her because the temper she's had stems from trying to convince everyone a woman can be good at sports
not all women have to be so pristine, wear dresses or high heels
according to her mother played by Alfre Woodard a woman should be thinking about marriage, kids, work and staying at home providing for the husband
Quincy is her childhood friend and at the same time he's struggling to live up to the potential his father wants from him while also attempting to be his own version of a man
it's believed that a man needs women and has to get up in people's faces in order to get by
but once these two start falling for one another it turns into a challenge balancing their love lives next to their basketball ones
"All's fair in love & basketball?" maybe but Sanaa Lathan and Omar Epps are excellent playing two youths finding their footing in each of their careers
what's more important: the love of the sport or the love inside the two playing it?
the game is essential but love is no game
a likeable supporting cast as well from Regina Hall to Tyra Banks to Gabrielle Union
½ August 31, 2016
It expires off HBO Now tonight, but hopefully you can find it somewhere else because if you haven't seen "Love and Basketball," it's well worth making time for (16 years after it came out -- clearly I'm late to the party, too). It's not a cliche-ridden rom-com; it's a (largely) realistic and solid love story. It has moments that are genuinely heartfelt and beautiful, that are sexy and that are sad. It intelligently tackles issues like the dreams you have growing up vs. the reality of adulthood, career vs. love, the hardships of being a female athlete vs. a male athlete and more. It's got a tomboy who grows into a fiery woman and it focuses on her story, which it treats seriously. (And Sanaa Lathan is great.) Also nice to see a romance movie with a black cast (no doubt at least part of why it flew under the radar for so many) and written and directed by a black woman (Gina Prince-Bythewood). Sixteen years later, Hollywood still needs more diverse stories like this one.
August 23, 2016
one of my all time favorites!
½ August 4, 2016
I really enjoyed this one. The acting was great. A very solid sports drama.
July 28, 2016
The last great romance film of the twentieth century. I think the particular brilliance of this film, however, is the way writer/director Prince-
Bythewood weaves in feminist films in a subtly overt way. She overtly shows the men's basketball games played in a coliseum while the women's team is relegated to what amounts to a high school gym. But she does it in such a nonchalant way you may the significance. And though she could have pressed the point home in a preachy way, when Monica and Quincy have their fight over Monica leaving Quincy because of her desire to start the next game, she leaves the point to the subtext: women are expected to drop everything to support their man, but never the other way around.
June 15, 2016
Sometimes the story is everything.. The acting was a lil stiff but you stay interested in them. First love -True love element is captivating. Black woman fighting to keep black man storyline is sad and cliche but rings a little genuine.. Length of movie scares you but keeps you engaged.
½ May 28, 2016
Not the best basketball movie to much Romance in this movie I think
½ March 29, 2016
Decent. Did not like how annoying and immature the male lead was at times. What a jerk.
February 3, 2016
Spike must have paid a Rating House for all these glowing reviews. Cliché in every way, it only gets 2 stars for production value. Not so convincing basketball scenes. Girl next door ...... you know the drill.
½ December 2, 2015
Surprisingly good movie, probably a lot better when it came out, but the ending is rushed.
November 11, 2015
A good love story. Generally accessible. A bit saccharine when one is not a teenager, but generally very broad in the female role. She gets to be very self-determined throughout. Lathan did a great job performing like a person, not a "girl" or "woman." She sheds a lot of feminine stereotypes in her physicality but still keeps the character sensual and not too butch.
October 18, 2015
omg love it have to download