Love & Sex - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love & Sex Reviews

½ November 12, 2014
July 27, 2014
Ah movies. Can watch it once and not be impressed, then watch it after you've had this experience or that and it has a whole new meaning. Went ahead and bumped this two points to 8/10.

Chatting with gal online and she liked it so I gave it a rewatch. Having now been in a relationship that didn't exactly end the first time, it makes sense. The writer/director very accurately captured how difficult it can be. I didn't realize that before.

Other than that, I don't think it's as cliche as I did before. I guess I didn't catch the cheese sandwich thing though it's a topic on imdb so it's clearly a draw of the movie. I laughed my ass off at the de Niro impression. And Famke Janssen is not just hot, she's painfully beautiful in this flick.

Old review: I don't think making a new expression can single-handedly make movie great. The whole cheese sandwich thing was cute, but the movie was just a touch too much like everything else to be considered that great.

Famke Janssen is hawt. And has maybe the best name in Hollywood. I really like Favreau (see Swingers and Made...even Janssen is in that). The movie is evidently autobiographical and I respect that, but if that's true, writer/director Valeria Breiman sure has lived out a lot of average chick flicks ha ha. That's why I can't rate this movie too high. It's cute in parts, realistic in others, funny in others, but I've seen it all before. And in between all the decent parts are the stupid kissing in a video store and knocking all the VHSs off the shelves. Pretty sure that didn't happen (and pretty sure it wasn't funny).

Finally, again maybe it's autobiographical, but I hate the ploy of telling the story. A writer telling the story to save her job and we relive it as she retells it? Blah. Do something original next time.
½ September 13, 2013
The charming lead actors almost manage to make an insipid screenplay palatable. Still, there's enough rough edges in this indie romantic comedy to make it better than most -- which isn't saying much.
May 13, 2013
Cute film. Probably Valerie Breiman's best work. Famke Janssen did a good job and Favreau was very good impersonating writer/director Adam Rifkin, whom his character was based on.
½ March 31, 2013
tick...tick...tick...tick...yep, all romantic-comedy cliches ticked off. Nearly unwatchable.
December 7, 2012
Oi oi love the sound of this!
½ October 29, 2012
Really good, and sadly on point.
August 26, 2012
A really cute indie film. Good for anyone who has had relationship problems.
½ August 18, 2012
This movie has not aged well, but it is a sweet love story and at least worth one watch.
½ August 5, 2012
Its not great but it didn't bug me and it wasn't painful to watch.
½ July 24, 2012
This is a sweet and funny movie that reflects the reality of relationships. Jon Favreau is particularly charming in this movie. Romantic comedy fans will enjoy this perspective on the genre.
June 14, 2012
Amazing life quotes.!!
½ January 8, 2012
A play-by-play of every typical relationship... if it has any soul to it. Loved the indy quality.
December 14, 2011
A likeable romantic comedy, without the cheesy crap, just a witty script and simple observations on characters. Well written and for once a film that was too short.
High notes -
½ November 11, 2011
This movie's great. I think it may be because Famke's in it, but regardless, the story is pretty good.
September 4, 2011
One of my favourite movies of all time! Freaking hilarious!!
February 7, 2011
I know the title of this movie is not something that I would want to see, but I thought why not give it a try. The story is charming, funny and a little sad. I personally do not have anything to relate to with the story, but it still made me feel something.
½ January 3, 2011
Really enjoyed this. Nice little romantic comedy. Nothing particularly new or special about it - but it's sweet and funny and you care about the characters and their relationship. Standard stuff but it totally works.
December 27, 2010
this movies defines me as well...
November 19, 2010
charming interplay between main characters.