Love at Large - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love at Large Reviews

July 11, 2016
This film go largely poor reviews, but for whatever reason the films of director Alan Rudolph always get me. A lot of his films seem to exist in their own universe. The noir elements of this film and "Trouble in Mind" feel quite similar, but even his films like "Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle" or "Choose Me" seem to exist on their own plane of reality. In this film, Tom Berenger plays a low rent private detective who's hired by the mysterious Anne Archer to tail her husband. Berenger ends up tailing the wrong man, which then leads to it's own mystery and Berenger being tailed himself by another PI, Elizabeth Perkins. I found the film's story, cast, look and feel quite charming and engaging. The film does meander, but that didn't bother me at all, even if that seemed to be the main complaint of film critics who disliked the film. The film features a beautiful Mark Isham score (his scores for Rudolph films are all my favorites of his). The strong cast also includes Kate Capshaw, Annette O'Toole, Ted Levine, Ann Manuson, Kevin J. O'Connor, Ruby Dee, and Neil Young Of that supporting cast, I'd forgotten how much I like Ann Magnuson and also Elizabeth Perkins. They both had some great runs in the 80s and 90s, but sadly I haven't seen them as much since. Overall, I really liked this film, but at the same time I'm not sure it's a film that will appeal to most audiences, so I'm not sure if I'd recommend it to most. But it worked for me.
½ June 13, 2016
Private eye investigates mysterious woman's cheating husband and uncovers something much deeper in this underrated and overlooked suspense yarn.
January 25, 2009
Although nothing else in the film rang any bells, the introductory shot of Neil Young (yep, that Neil Young, and in a non-musical role, no less) looked VERY familiar, and throughout the movie I kept wondering if I'd seen this before and forgotten about it.

An eccentric little take-off on noir, too understated to be parody but too irreverent to be straight homage, this nonetheless existed quite comfortably in its own little tonal world. Initially, it looked as though we were being set up for a trite comedy of errors and while that aspect was present, it was mostly in the background and easily forgotten. Might be the second funniest use of the query, "What?!" in cinema.
October 12, 2007
i just love this movie
August 21, 2007
Not interested in romances.
½ August 3, 2007
Confusing film. It's fairly funny from time to time but the problem is that you're not quite sure if it's supposed to be...