Love at Stake Reviews

• Dec 30, 2018

This movie is hysterical. Those knocking it must have had their expectations too high. This is meant to be a silly farce from go and it succeeded excellently. It is too bad many people overlook it. Like I said, turn your brain off and just go with it for some laughs, really goofy/silly laughs!

• Sep 26, 2013

Eighties style slapstick. I have seen much better movies use this cheesy form of film making. With that said Love At Stake did have some funny scenes.

• Feb 14, 2012

I fail to see the humor in all this.

I fail to see the humor in all this.

• Dec 04, 2010

Humor highly reminicient of the style in Airplane!, except this time were are transported to 1692 Salem, Massachusetts in a Puritan village of witch burners. The title Love at Stake, like burn at the stake, is full of one liners, sight gags and great references to the history of the time. From the minds behind "Saturday Night Live" and "MadTV!" comes a tale of Sorcery in Salem! Young baker Sara Lee (yes, none other than the bakery company) is overjoyed that her childhood sweetheart Miles (Cassidy) has returned to be the new assistant at Salem's church. But all is not well in fair Salem; the mayor (Dave Thomas) and the judge (Stuart Pankin) have come up with an outrageous scheme to dupe the townsfolk out of their land, by accusing innocent people of witchcraft. One highlight of the film is the Thanksgiving Day dinner with all invited ("even indians" says their sign). The indians and puritans all have name tags like some sort of convention. Also, a real witch goes around creating hilarious mischief throuout the film. The village sheriff sounds and tries to act like the great deputy Barney Fife (Don Knotts) of television's sixties sitcom Mayberry. Numerous trials to find witches with a defense lawyer who can't win a case. A must see for American history buffs or anyone in the least familiar with the strict religious sect called the puritans, New England was turning over in its grave when this got released. I can risk recommending this, but the reviews of fellow RTers vastly varies. Funny bordering at times on hilarious. Ends with credits and the Elvis hit Burning Love (Hunka Hunk of Burnin' Love). Cast Patrick Cassidy (childhood sweetheart of Sara Lee) Kelly Preston (as Sara Lee, real life wife of John Travolta) Bud Cort (the made blind minister by a witch in this one, Cort got fame with the now cult film: Harold and Maude) Barbara Carrera David Graf Anne Ramsey Stuart Pankin Dave Thomas Crew Executive Producer: John Daly Composer: Charles Fox Executive Producer: Derek Gibson Editor: Danford B. Greene Producer: Michael Gruskoff Cinematographer: Mark Irwin Screenplay: Lanier Laney Director: John Moffitt Screenplay: Terry Sweeney Production Designer: Roy Forge Smith Co-Producer : Armand Speca

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Nov 23, 2010

Borderline moronic comedy with many sight gags and puns that fall flat.

Borderline moronic comedy with many sight gags and puns that fall flat.

• Jul 30, 2008

Best comedy of my childhood love it!!!

Best comedy of my childhood love it!!!

• Jan 29, 2008

CLASSIC HILARIOUS COMEDY, DIRTY HUMOR. NOT RECCOMEND FOR YOUNG EYES AND EARS. iT EILL CRACK YOU UP

• Dec 14, 2007

This is my fav. five star all the way

This is my fav. five star all the way

• Oct 01, 2007

This movie is tooo funny. I still quote lines from this movie. I recommend it to everyone.

• Oct 01, 2007

This lesser known movie is probably one of the greatest madcap off the wall comedies ever written! This movie is for Airplane, Monty Python, South Park, Mel Brooks, etc type of lovers of comedy!