Love in A Fallen City (Qing cheng zhi lian) Reviews

• Sep 03, 2012

viewed on 20/7/04 (Tues) I like Ann Hui's Boat People. Shocking and deeply moving. I like her Swordsman (aka Xiao Ao Jiang Hu). Entertaining. I like her My American Grandson. Watched it many years and deeply touched by the story between an Americanised grandson and his very old-fashioned grandpa. I like Song of Exile. Maggie is great and Lu Xiaofen is even better. A daughter coming to terms with the sacrifices made by her much-hated mum. So when I chanced upon this title, I grabbed it fast. I was very confident that this will prove to me that before that pretentious Ordinary Heroes, Eighteen Spring etc, Ann Hui was once upon a time a great director. Ooopsss.. the streak of bad movies could have started with this one already. I think the novel which the film is based on is badly represented. The novel is written by Eileen Chang and I think it strives to tell a love story as ill-fated as a war torn Shanghai which is the story background towards the end. We see alot of Cora Miao and Chow Yun Fat whispering sweet nothings. For too long and too much. It feels like the longest foreplay ever. I feel sad for Eileen Chang. What a waster of a good title - Qing Cheng Zhi Lian. Sounds powerful only. Sigh

• Aug 17, 2011

It is a Chinese Version of before sunset

It is a Chinese Version of before sunset

• Apr 30, 2010

Very good adaption... Chow Yun Fat was quite naive at that time... very good directing...

• Apr 27, 2010

This first screen adaptation of Eileen Chang's middle-length story was criticized for the unnatural dialogue and poor acting. But I thought it's actually better than what I've heard. The dialogue is evidently a little stiff, and the acting is so-so, but the figures were built up quite successfully by the film newcomers Chow Yun Fat and Cora Miu.

• Sep 09, 2009

good use of background music

good use of background music

• Jan 01, 2009

An adaptation off the late Eileen Chang's novel. Classy & moody but not good overall, just a bit too shallow.

• Nov 14, 2007

Not too bad... but hummm... !?

Not too bad... but hummm... !?

• Sep 30, 2007

Chow Yun Fat is drop-dead as the playboy. A must see if you like Chang Ai Ling's stories.

• Jun 07, 2007

pace is a bit slow,but comes with an acquired taste.with the characters and story set in that period of time.different style of acting by chow yun fat, second to 'All about Ah Long'