Love Is a Many Splendored Thing Reviews

• Feb 01, 2019

The best romance movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: the title song! And the best movie score ever composed!

• Jun 14, 2018

A dull affair that at least sticks the landing to some degree. Tried hard to be a progressivist vision of its time but had a few issues with casting, acting and script. And very heavy-handed in places.

• Sep 27, 2017

Illicit romance in trying circumstances.

Illicit romance in trying circumstances.

• May 22, 2017

Thought this would be slush, but enjoyed the wonderful production, great acting by Ms. Jones, and a believable and moving love story.

• Sep 19, 2016

Love is a Many-Splendored Thing is a just a song, isn't it? Nope, it turns out it is also an Oscar-nominated film from 1955 as well. The movie is about a married man who falls in love with a "Eurasian" woman in Hong Kong. Their affair threatens to ruin their lives because their interracial relationship is frowned upon and his wife won't grant him a divorce either. I think the racial angle is why it drew the attention of the Oscars, but watching it now all I could think was how offensive her yellow face seems. Thankfully they made her character half European as well, so they didn't go overboard with the offensive makeup on All-American actress Jennifer Jones. I can easily forgive that kind of casting, because it was very much a product of its time, although it certainly stood out a lot when they constantly put her side-by-side with people who actually are of Asian decent. The story seemed to meander a lot and kept hitting the same points again and again, so I didn't have a great interest in it. The real problem with the movie, however, is that there is no chemistry at all between William Holden and Jennifer Jones. They look like they are trying so hard to make this love story convincing, but I just feel like they hate one another when the cameras stop rolling. If you take away the interracial aspect of their relationship, which must have had some significance at the time, the plot is very paint-by-numbers and uninteresting. It was a movie where I was actually happy when it ended despite the attempt at a sad ending.

• Aug 25, 2016

They lived their relationship on the preface of something more. A preamble of a perfect life together. Maybe that's what makes it so beautiful. They never faced the enduring commitment of a couple who marries. By enduring I mean in sickness and in health. They were always on their own. The beginning of every relationship is always mystical and even magical. Waiting to take flight and see where it goes. These two never got that chance. A match light. A sparkle. Only she will have to re- build and start over. A tradgesty. Her trust in him is the key to the beauty of this story that the divorce would go through. But she waited to no avail. He is never questioned nor should he have been. In the end you know he wanted her as much as he promised. There are no guarantees in life. And this delivers as such.

• Feb 10, 2016

For one of AFI's best romances of all time, this movie certainly leaves something to be desired when it comes to its representation of love. The main couple share some charming moments before actually deciding that they're in love, but once they do, the rest of the story is essentially hellos, goodbyes, and fervent hugs and kisses. Whereas the couple once had interesting conversations about life and destiny, at a certain point they only speak of how much they love each other, and all of the substance of their relationship is gone. Finally, modern feminism must frown upon this movie; it's full of moments in which the woman concedes all decision-making power to the man, even saying things to the effect of "I'm weak" and "I'll do whatever you want me to do." In all, this story could be compelling if the relationship were more substantive and less cringe-worthy in terms of male-female equality.

• Jan 26, 2016

The Lovely setting, and Good performances by the Great William Holden, and Lovely Jennifer Jones makes this film enjoyable for what it is, which is a standard romance film based on a Memoir, and popularized by a song. They must play the title song in some form, 20 times during the film!, so I hope you like the tune. Don't look for much of a plot, in this romance tale of a "Euroasian" Doctor played by Jones, and the Correspondant, played by the always Handsome Holden. This film hasn't aged well, especially the part of the lead Caucasian Actress playing an Asian. Enjoy the lovely scenes and appreciate the chemistsy between the likable stars!

• May 30, 2015

Photographically beautiful ~ Hong Kong 1950s ~ Jennifer Jones! timely issues of race, class, political unrest in China ~ moon-watching & love...

• Jan 20, 2015

Clasico! y la cancion una maravilla.

Clasico! y la cancion una maravilla.