Love Liza - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love Liza Reviews

January 2, 2016
Worth watching for a look at personal loss and one man's inability to cope without extreme measures. For me, a memorable performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman.
September 12, 2015
Hoffman is brilliant as usual, sad in retrospect. Underrated film, black humor is done very well. A great great film about suicide and its consequences, score by Jim O'Rourke is excellent in itself.
½ July 31, 2014
Philip Seymour Hoffman gives a poignant and all too honest performance in "Love Liza", a movie held together by its actors and the intimacy of the story and photography. Desperation has rarely been portrayed this strongly and it's painful to watch--not unlike watching a friend you love gradually losing the ability to cope over a short period of time. The ending, it must be noted, is the perfect note to end this gripping low-key drama.
April 16, 2014
Great performance by Hoffman.
March 29, 2014
A very sad and brilliant look at dealing with loss. A man's wife commits suicide, he struggles to come to terms with it and is unable to read the note she left him. An amazing performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman, one of the best even by his standards. Personally, I think it's one if the most depressing films I've ever seen, but that's not a bad thing, it's a great thing.
March 12, 2014
Phillip Seymour Hoffman playing a man struggling with addiction now makes more uncomfortable viewing than it would have done at the time. This is actually classed as a 'tragicomedy' but I didn't think there were really any laughs in it. But as so often with Hoffman you can't fault his acting, as he gives added depth to what is a pretty slight film.
March 5, 2014
We all deal with things differently. "I am a huge fan of radio control!"
February 16, 2014
A brilliant yet depressing look into the grieving and coping of the loss of a loved one. Philip Seymour Hoffman gives a riveting heart felt performance
½ February 3, 2014
Really beautiful and sad little movie. The music is absolutely perfect throughout.
½ February 2, 2014
Esta cinta recupera esos relatos humanos que caracterizaban el cine de los 70 ("Five Easy Pieces", "Faces"). Philip Seymour Hoffman nos brinda una actuacion perfecta como un hombre que ante el suicidio de su esposa comienza a desbaratarse. Uno de los mejores finales en la historia del cine.
½ February 2, 2014
ridiculous. why make a movie about this character?
½ September 14, 2013
As illustrious as Philip Seymour Hoffman's career has become, Love Liza perhaps offers a hidden gem in his laudable career. In it he plays a distraught widower, whose wife killed herself for seemingly unknown reasons. This propels him on a strange journey involving gasoline and remote controlled airplanes. It's an undeniably indie film, unconventional in many respects, and effective on an emotional level. Its narrative arc, however, leaves something to be desired.

Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance is certainly the most notable aspect of the film, making it worth watching for its shear depth and power alone. He embodies the manic personality perfectly, sometimes deliriously upbeat, other times helplessly distraught and confused. This is what the film gets right, a loss such as what Hoffman's character experienced is not easily gotten over, and does not offer happy endings or easy answers. Life can be confusing, inexplicable, and harsh, Love Liza captures this with a mature sense surpassing many similarly themed films.

The problem with Love Liza, however, is that its script, smart in its characterizations, doesn't pay off in a narrative sense. The relationship between Hoffman and his wife is never fully explored, with no sense of resolution to be had, which can work, but only if we can more aptly identify with the dynamics at work. The film offers interesting characters, but raises more questions than it answers, leaving the film in a bit of a meandering spot.

An overall effective drama, notable for its strong central performance.

3.5/5 Stars
½ May 30, 2013
Like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
January 30, 2013
Mary Ann Bankhead: What did she say?
Wilson Joel: You wanna read it? Go ahead
Mary Ann Bankhead: It doesn't have my name on it.
Wilson Joel: Yea you're right. It doesn't.
Mary Ann Bankhead: But if it did I would open it, because that's what she wants.
Wilson Joel: Wanted. What she wanted.
Mary Ann Bankhead: And you refuse to honor that.
Wilson Joel: Is there something you wanna know?
Mary Ann Bankhead: No, I think there is something you don't wanta know.
Wilson Joel: I don't. I don't, I loved well. I did. I did, I loved well I don't want a letter. I don't want a fucking letter!
Mary Ann Bankhead: She left reasons Wil.
Wilson Joel: It's my name!

Phillip Seymour Hoffman interpreta perfectamente a Wilson, un hombre deprimido y que a raiz de la muerte de su esposa, empieza a comportarse erráticamente de maneras que van de drogarse con gasolina y adoptar el hobbie de aviones de juguete. A pesar de su tema rudo, me costó conectarme co todas las emociones. Eso no le quita el reconocimiento de las actuaciones, el dialogo humorístico a pesar de la tragedia y la cinematografia.
December 11, 2012
I am a huge fan of remote control... And gasoline.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a viewing, would like to see it sometime in the future.
November 12, 2012
I have never laughed so hard at inappropriate moments in a film. Thank heavens for Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
November 7, 2012
Wilson is dealing with the loss of his wife who randomly took her own life. His grief isn't exactly one of sadness, but of why? Why'd she do it? A note is left behind, but he doesn't want to read it. He just doesn't want to know. Not yet. He's still going through the grieving process, but it's HIS way of grief that he's dealing with. It's made him awkward in the work place and stilted when around friends. One woman tries to reach out to him, Maura, but it's too soon for him. Luckily, this isn't one of those predictable films where one person loses someone and someone else comes along and saves them. He confesses to her that he likes building model planes, but due to his recent habit of huffing gas it's only an explanation to her concerning the smell coming from his home. The gas huffing is symbolic in that his wife committed suicide by way of running the car in the garage.

Random encounters with his mother in law turn into shouting matches over the letter she left behind. His model plane obsession and his huffing gas has clouded his mind as he tries to avoid ever reading the letter. Ironically this gasoline he collects and stores in his home only turns into a reason for him to read the letter and to forget about what has happen over the past few days.

There are a few memorable scenes in this little acting showcase of Philip Seymour Hoffman. One in which involves Wilson going for a swim in a lake where a remote control boat race is taking place and also the ending where he decides to burn away the tragedy that had befallen him. It's a typical art house film about losing someone that doesn't hold up well due to Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance. It's a good performance, but it kind of makes the film be only that of a talent show for Philip.

Some good music by Jim O'Rourke and performances by Hoffman and Kathy Bates are the only highlights of this befuddled tale of loss.
July 31, 2012
Preciosa historia.Philip Seymour como siempre,impresionante.