Love Me Or Leave Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love Me Or Leave Me Reviews

February 1, 2019
The best musical romance movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: Ten Cents a Dance!
½ July 22, 2017
MGM's first of three female singer biographies in 1955, this one the life of Ruth Etting; James Cagney (Oscar-nominated) and Doris Day play the leads in what might be the best performance of Day's career, and she sings the Oscar-nominated "I'll Never Stop Loving You." The film won an Oscar for Best Writing for its hard-hitting, gritty show biz tale lightly based on fact.
½ July 15, 2017
Cagey in a color movie and with Doris Day. She uses him to get to the top.
November 29, 2016
Classic variation on the gangster films of yore. On Blu-ray.
May 28, 2014
One of my all time favorite movies. Doris Day was fantastic, the songs were beautiful. Only an actor of James Cagney's caliber could pull off this role. He plays a vile man but makes you feel sorry for him. Fantastic movie to watch over and over.
March 3, 2014
Entertaining. Great performance by Mr. Cagney. Great music.
December 11, 2013
Not bad, not bad. This film is certainly helped by Jimmy Cagney late in his career. I've never been a huge fan of Doris Day's acting abilities but she does okay here. Familiar soundtrack as well.
½ October 2, 2013
Day and Cagney are fantastic.
July 13, 2013
An edgy not so cutesy mid 50's musical staring the unlikely duo James Cagney & Doris Day.

Although all the actors had major input on the script yet all the characters aren't that likeable but I guess realistic.

James Cagney was his usual intense agro self & and this film focuses on the tensions behind the scenes between Cagney (The Manager & Doris Day (The Singer)

A beautifully shot CinemaScope film that is interesting but a little drab overall...
January 25, 2013
I was surprised by the amount of honesty portrayed during the course of this movie. I am used to James Cagney playing a villain, but it was interesting to see Doris Day play someone less than noble. And even Cagney did a good job of playing his character somewhat ambiguously. You even felt sorry for him at times for the situation he had constructed for himself. And Doris Day had a lovely voice.
November 21, 2012
Saw it on Wednesday the 21st November 2012, TV movie on Film 4. Really became a memorable film for me to watch, I'd never heard of the career of Ruth Etting, but I'll remember it. Echoes real talent having added a star considered for an oscar in this case.
August 27, 2012
Doris's best acting performance.
April 14, 2012
My least favorite Doris Day movie. Couldn't get into it.
January 29, 2012
Love it, Doris day is brilliant.
½ January 23, 2012
The story is very intriguing and both of the leads are great. Doris Day does some great musical numbers and James Cagney delivers one of his most intense performances. He is absolutely chilling, and you can't take your eyes off of him every second he's on screen. I wish that he would have had at least one musical number, and it's a bit of disappointment, and the writing isn't flawless, but it's a great movie overall.
½ October 7, 2011
Quite standard classic Hollywood movie but I love Doris Day singing and dancing. The story I guess nothing new: there was too many stage stars and movie stars who got their way up with a help of mobs and gangsters but this is not much about mafia but more about sacrificing a lot for a way up, about a talent or having no talent and so on. And all the narrative is on the female which is great.
September 29, 2011
I don't usually watch Doris Day musicals but made an exception for this one as it also stars James Cagney. He gives one of his last good performances here as a Chicago racketeer who helps a struggling torch-singer named Ruth Etting (played by Day) rise to fame. And with this and Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much the following year Day showed she was more than just a singer.
½ September 24, 2010
Strong telling of Ruth Etting's story, mainly because James Cagney and Doris Day put a lot into their performances, and the former clearly steals the show.
August 21, 2010
Excellent performances by the whole cast, but particularly by Doris Day and James Cagney. It got a handful of Oscar nominations, but none for Day. This bothered Cagney very much. For my taste they could have cut out a couple of the many songs, but Day performs them well.
½ March 27, 2010
Doris Day turns in a great, uncharacteristically edgy performance in this bittersweet film based on the life of singer Ruth Etting, while James Cagney manages to bring an extra dimension to the stock character of her otherwise typical gangster husband. A good film, if rather less fun and more dour than typical musical fare.