A Love Song for Bobby Long - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Love Song for Bobby Long Reviews

½ March 26, 2016
Well-intentioned but doesn't quite hit the mark.

A young woman, Pursy (played by Scarlett Johansson), learns that her estranged mother has died in New Orleans. She returns to her mother's house to discover that it is inhabited by two men, one an aging alcoholic, Bobby Long (John Travolta).

Has potential as a story of reconciliation and unexpected friendships but doesn't ever really spark to life. The characters aren't that engaging. Bobby Long is initially quite repulsive and though he gets easier to like the further you get into the movie, I just never found him likable. Pursy is probably the most engaging but even she doesn't really have a direction, so you don't know how to support her.

Plot seems to drag in the middle too, making the movie dull at times. End pulls everything together well and is a reward for getting through the movie. Quite emotional conclusion.

Good work from Scarlett Johansson, then only 19 or so, in the lead role. John Travolta is okay as Bobby Long, but I can't help but feel he doesn't quite get the curmudgeonliness and Southern folksiness right. Someone like Billy Bob Thornton or Tommy Lee Jones would have been better in the role.
November 11, 2015
Extreme New Orleans and Southern Gothic ... but WELL written and filmed. NoLa scenery is authentic and picturesque. The music is terrific, and this will probably be a NoLa cult film years hence.
½ July 29, 2015
One of my favorite of Travolta's many performances and an underrated good movie.
½ June 30, 2015
Overlong and underwhelming.
June 19, 2015
Matt Atchity,
This is a great deep cut for Carolla. Bald may have skipped this winner.
½ October 4, 2014
Good enough for a watch and if you were in the right mood it just might be great.
September 20, 2014
I love this movie. One part pre-Katrina New Orleans. One part Scarlett. One part a ten years younger Gabriel Macht before he forever looked like Harvey. Two parts a white-haired, southern drawling, classic quoting John Travolta and one part soundtrack which feels like a hot, muggy, NOLA night. (Also a song which repeatedly reminds me of an unidentified Steve Forbert song, but for only a few bars.) I love this movie.
July 31, 2014
Scarlett was 18 and fresh when the movie set in New Orleans was shot. John's performance as a failed professor and father is great. He looks so tenderhearted that I guess this is the best part he ever played. Gabriel Macht steadily positions his presence as a storyteller between attention-getting John and Scarlet.
April 24, 2014
I love the movie!! Seen at least 10 times!!
March 28, 2014
And were an epitaph to be my story I'd have a short one ready for my own. I would have written of me on my stone: I had a lover's quarrel with the world. - Robert Frost
February 23, 2014
Entertaining, John is always an excellent believable actor. Wish they would of skipped the bad language and so much smoking...for that I rate it at 3 stars
February 21, 2014
The poor rating from the critics should tell you how good this movie is!! In my opinion this is John Travolta's best performance ever. I fell in love with Gabriel Macht because of this movie, still hate Scarlett Johansson although she did a great job, and the music is AWESOME!!!!
January 9, 2014
Best movie ever great performance by all the actors and actress in the movies.
November 22, 2013
I really enjoyed the story. Seems realistic. Great acting by all. Hard to find on Dvd.
November 15, 2013
A densidade dos personagens ajuda na composição do roteiro, que sofre de algumas falhas graves, A Love Song for Bobby Long tem uma execução digna mas o roteiro se propõe em recontar historias, ou seja o efeito surpresa já foi empregado antes e o que resta e lamentar pelo final pobre.
October 2, 2013
Love, Love, Love this movie. You have to watch it with your heart. It tells a story if you want it to.... :)
September 30, 2013
Beautiful pictures, nice music and good quotes..., the film takes us to New Orleans/
August 7, 2013
Vai tomar no teu cu Pablo Villaça! O filme é muito bom sim! Essa tua amargura é só falta de mulher!
½ June 30, 2013
A Love Song for Bobby Long is a compelling and touching film about family. After her estranged mother dies Pursy Will inherits her house and discovers that it comes with two eccentric men who were her mother's close friends; and through them she re-discovers her mother and cleans up her life. The film has a good cast that includes Scarlett Johansson, John Travolta, and Gabriel Macht; who all deliver excellent performances. Travolta in particular gives a stunning performance that's unlike anything that he's done before. The writing is also quite good, with some very strong dialog. Though a tad melodramatic at times, A Love Song for Bobby Long is an impressive and moving character drama.
June 23, 2013
This movie didn't seem to get great reviews but I actually liked it. I thought Travolta did a really good job in his role and the same holds true for Johannson and Macht. I couldn't help but grow to like the three lead characters and their story as it unfolds.