Love! Valour! Compassion! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love! Valour! Compassion! Reviews

December 2, 2009
you can tell it was a play but since I didn't see the play and more than likely won't ever have that opportunity I am glad i witnessed this beautiful piece of work even if it was on a screen. I found it very powerful and moving.
November 24, 2009
Soap Opera Style gay subject matter movie that is very touching. Well worth the watch.
jjnxn
November 14, 2009
Angsty, maudlin drama based on a much better play. The actors are capable but something is lost in the translation from stage to screen.
½ August 23, 2009
Interesting discussion of the issues facing the gay community at the end of the last century. The dinner party scenes were the best. I liked how the ending was resolved - curiously similar to the 6 Feet Under finale, only a decade earlier. I could have done without all the cliche's, however, all wrapped up in the form of an overacting Jason Alexander.
August 5, 2009
I am by no means homophobic but this was a bit "too gay" for me!
May 30, 2009
Great acting and lots of man-taint make this a definite must-see. Seriously, I haven't seen this much man-taint in a major motion picture since, well since ever. Even Jason Alexander spends most of the film naked. And can I just say that Justin Kirk is probably the sexiest person on the planet. Since Jesus.
May 21, 2009
Jason Alexander at his best period. This movie is outstanding from beginning to end!
April 9, 2009
very gay but oh so very soap opera and you will enjoy.

just your typical soap opera but with a twist, the story centers around of bitching homos. i just love it
March 5, 2009
A movie about a group of gay friends who go to the country home of one of the friends 4 times in a period of 1 year. How they have changed throughout this time. I had to buy it.
January 12, 2009
I have been wanting to see this movie ever since I saw it advertised in the movies. I have seen it about a thousand times now & I've got to say. It's one of my all time favorite gay movies.

Sure the men are bitchy but look at the circumstances that they have to live with.

I love the setting the house & yes even the mixed up foibled relationships of the men. I always wanted to see the play but the movie will be good enough for me.
½ December 19, 2008
As a group of gay male friends meets over the course of three weekend at one of the man's lakeside retreats, the spectre of AIDS and the fallibility of relationships seem to outline a pitchblack scenario. Nonetheless, the dark undertone of this movie, which so hauntingly outlines the minutae of these gay men's entangled lives, is relieved by the love, valour and compassion that Terrence McNally's original play title so fittingly refers to. Acted out by a little-known, but superbly acting cast, the eight men, all, despite - or perhaps because of -, their obvious flaws, make a strong emotional impact and invite to reflexivity.
December 8, 2008
no thanks not my thing
½ November 22, 2008
Show's stagey-ness is distilled into mild sitcom buffoonery. What was powerful and stately tamed and de-fanged.
November 19, 2008
Another great cast, but this time the movie is just about perfect. This is like a gat "Big Chill" though AIDS is a predominant theme through out. the performances by Jason Alexander, Justin Kirk, and John Glover playing twin brothers that are polar opposites. This film focuses on a group of friends that gather in the Hamptons at one of their coupled friends home. There are laughs, and tears in this rare gay theme film that stays true to the gay community. The film is based on Terrence McNally's Tony award winning play.
November 10, 2008
Saw it a very long time again and want to refresh my memory.
shesdownbytheriver
October 17, 2008
No thankyou - Not interested
½ September 2, 2008
Derivative and bitchy.
August 24, 2008
microcosom of an aspect of well heeled gay life for a few. The themes are excellent.
½ August 16, 2008
one of my all time favorites!!! Justin Kirk & Randy Becker are such hotties!!!
August 3, 2008
Should be a gay classic. Jason Alexander does a great job, great ensemble.