The Loved One - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Loved One Reviews

April 22, 2016
Well a Mash like black comedy, just as good as Doctor Strangelove and very underrated. The acting is wonderful by all.

Liberace is very surprising good as the soft spoken sleaze bag undertaker trying to sell every possible high price item and when you balk, that sneer contemptuous, "very good". You know, like at a snooty restaurant with a friend and you only order the salad and water because you really aren't hungry and the waiter thinks you are cheap.

The racketeering like funeral business, the greed, the greed of cemeteries run by big corporations, the brain washed delight of a dysfunctional staff that enjoys the gruesome work as if they are creating great works of art in marble may not be for everyone.

Lovely, lovely scenes especially of the cemetery.

Now if they can just figure out a way to get those stiffs off the reverend's proprietary.
May 28, 2014
A Gem among the 60's & early 70's black comedies, with a stellar cast and cameos.

I find it interesting that the few low rating here are by people that clearly don't understand satire particularly black, does not have "punch line" jokes.

Is it perfect, no.... but far better than the undeserved 1 or 2 stars a few have given.
½ April 19, 2014
Very funny, fine satire with excellent performances . I never heard of this movie in real time but am glad TCM gave me an opportunity to catch it . Fifty years later it is still a lot of laughs.
½ March 31, 2014
maybe where they got inspiration to create the brilliant '6 feet under'
January 8, 2014
I wanted this to be hilarious considering all the talent behind its creation but it was, sadly, a dead two hours with only a few laughs.
½ January 4, 2014
Definitely not for everyone. Pitch black comedy with good acting and some trenchant observations will be loved by some and hated by many but it is certainly unique.
½ January 1, 2014
Baffling. Purportedly a comedy, but there isn't a laugh in it. It is almost impossible to believe the man who directed the brilliant tom Jones was at the helm of this mess. It plays like senior project of a pretentious film student. Disjointed, horribly filmed, abysmally acted. The only humor that lands at all comes in the early scenes spoofing the pretentions of the Hollywood ex-pat Brits; and even that is only amusing in comparison with the endless, dreary satire of the death industry that follows.
November 16, 2012
A hilarious view of the absurdity of the death industry and Hollywood's version of it.
½ November 11, 2012
A very, very funny film featuring everyone famous in 1964. Irreverent and scandalous (at least for the time). The cameo by Liberace is to die for! If you're in a retro mood and ready for a brouhaha that would knock Amy Semple McPherson on her righteous back, see "The Loved One"!
½ September 19, 2012
The Loved One tries way too hard to be outrageous - and I suppose it was way back in 1965. But, now?... it just seems flat. I will say one thing though, it did give us cinema's creepiest, funniest and most enduring morticians - in the character of Mr. Joyboy., one of Actor Rod Steiger's most indelible roles.
September 13, 2012
Quintessential Hollywood satire of the '60s. A film that should have a cult, but doesn't.
½ May 26, 2012
Does for funerals what Strangelove did for Nuclear War--Fantastic edgy 60's Hollywood Dark humor!!
April 20, 2012
Maybe not for everyone, but I laughed pretty consistently in this funny film.
½ January 10, 2012
Evelyn Waugh's clever and at times scathing look at both the film and funeral industries.

I find the idea ammusing that the whole concept for the novel on which this film is based, sprung from Waugh's brief experience in Los Angeles while trying to get a film version of Brideshead Revisited put together, Legend has it that he was so taken aback by his experience with the film indurtry and of attending just ONE Hollywood style funeral (with all of it's trappings) that he had to write about it. Thanks goodness he did as the results are hilarious.

Written as only Evelyn Waugh can write, we are forced to step back and really take a look at the absurdities of certain people, places and social interactions. With very ammusing results.

This was my first time seeing Jonathan Winters in a (mostly) serious role and he was quite good. A young Robert Morse (of Mad Men fame) is superb as the lovable, but bumbling Englishman trying to make sense of it all. And Rod Steiger performance as Mr. Loveboy is beyond discription. There are also cameo's galore throuhout the film.

It does suffer a bit from some of the trappings of an "older" film, but for those who appreciate film and literary're in for a treat.
May 13, 2011
I'm really sorry that BAM's Hal Ashby retrospective is structured one film per day, because this is one I'd like to revisit after having digested it for 48 hours or so.

Honestly, I had no idea what I was in for. It seemed at first glance a British comedy of manners, yet by the end turned out to be one of the most twisted films I've seen this side of early John Waters (indeed, Edith Massey's character in Pink Flamingos HAD to have been influenced by Rod Steiger's character's mother). Ashby's contributions were limited to the editing room, yet I can see why this film was chosen for this retrospective; it veritably reeks of Ashby, both in terms of his virtuosic cutting and the influence it clearly had on his sensibilities as a director. The treatment of the female lead was more than a little discomforting, but I believe that was by design; I squirmed right on cue.

Some great cameos (Liberace had me dying), the pace built slowly but brilliantly (again, I had no idea the sheer level of mayhem was in store based on the earliest moments of the film, yet the shifts in tone were virtually invisible), and perhaps the best instance I've seen of casting a prestigious Shakespearean actor as little more than a McGuffin. This is definitely one I want to revisit soon.
February 15, 2011
Blech! I only made it through 50% of the movie.
January 31, 2011
I wish I could have been there to see this movie upon its original release in 1965 and watch how everyone reacted. This movie broke so many rules in its day, and even today one can't get over how it really holds true to its spirit of having 'something to offend everyone!' as the tagline reads. Really, nothing is sacred here, and the movie revels in its mischief as it delightedly mocks everything from funeral businesses to sexual morals to mother-love and obesity (those last two together in an absolutely jaw-dropping way). All in all a fantastic dark comedy, wonderfully shot, energetically acted (Rod Steiger is a standout), and often laugh-out-loud funny -- even as the film's outlook on society is unquestionably grim. Believe me, this movie can still shock - just wait for that coffin-orgy scene.
December 6, 2010
This black comedy is really hilarious for the most part, but it has a couple of boring scenes, so I didn't rate it higher. Overall, I really enjoyed it, though.