Lovely & Amazing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lovely & Amazing Reviews

September 17, 2011
Depressed and angry. That's what I would have called this movie. Not a likable character, male or female in the story. So unfortunate b/c I really wanted to like this movie.
½ September 17, 2011
A witty, ascerbic screenplay populated almost entirely with awful, unsympathetically narcissistic people.
July 21, 2011
I really wanted to like all of the characters but I couldn't help but want to schedule individual counseling sessions with them! Oh and I truly have a problem with smart mouthed and disrespectful children and their terrible attitude/behavior NEVER being addressed. Regardless of what that child may be experiencing her behavior was unacceptable! And what's with the ending? I need to know what ever became of the legal case? The marriage? The relationship? Etc... I hate when movies just END! Leaving me to say, "Wait! Did this movie just END like that? That's it? WTH"
June 30, 2011
Interesting indie film set in LA. Reviewers seem to think this is a comedy, about self-esteem, insecurity and redemption. I just thought it was a good drama about family, relationships, and the dysfunction which we all experience in 'modern life'. A well acted ensemble piece with all kinds of loose threads, just the way I like it. No murders, no unlikely thrills, just well-observed behaviour. Is this a chick flick? I don't know what a chick flick is.
June 22, 2011
While yes, it attacked many serious female issues, I couldn't get into this movie.
June 13, 2011
An average movie. Not much of drama or not much of romance.
½ June 2, 2011
This movie doesn't have the heart the other Holofcener movies do. it's decidedly more angry, but it's got the same human touches that Holofcener shows in her later work. Definitely interesting to watch this filmmaker grow over the four films I've just watched.
½ May 1, 2011
The fat black adopted girl is really, really funny. I do think Nicole Holofcener has a gift in comedy, but I don't like this as much as Please Give.
½ March 27, 2011
Sort of a comedy, sort of a drama with unlikable characters. Top-notch actors in a wildly varied script
February 19, 2011
I adore and admire both Nicole Holofcener and Catherine Keener they are both extremely talented women. Here Holofcener really captures the dynamics of sibling rivalry. The relationships with one another feel so familiar and the characterization and interaction of these characters is so real and relatable. Raven Goodwin is outstanding and holds her own against the likes of both Catherine Keener and Emily Mortimer. While Mortimer delivers a brave performance especially when it comes to the nude scene. Even Holofcener's depiction of sex seems far truer than the standard sex scenes in countless other films. She is perfect at capturing real people and displaying real life on screen.
February 5, 2011
'watching it now on HBO. I love Jake Gyllenhaal in his early years... Catherine Keener is wonderful but Emily Mortimer is the scene stealer.
½ February 4, 2011
Not really believable. Do not recommend. x
November 21, 2010
Catherine Keener always brings an indie vibe to films she is in. The movie is a very tender and naturalistic film that never exaggerates or makes anything seem forced.
October 28, 2010
Acerbic comedy about how our obsession with our looks makes us forget our worth and ends up poisoning our relationships. This may not be a film for everyone but it's a bitter pill, a cautionary tale that should render us immune from a glamor-driven society.
October 5, 2010
Not really so lovely, and definitely not amazing. Just average...
½ August 31, 2010
I have no clue how Lovely and Amazing got to the top of my queue, but I don't mind that it did. Nicole Holofcener has a knack for incisive female dialogue, though the same can't be said for the male end of it. Her stage direction may have a similar balance, as she gets amazing performances from Emily Mortimer and Raven Goodwyn in particular while what might be the poorest of Jake Gyllenhaal's career. The film uses crisp editing and strong pacing to entertainingly make up for what is an otherwise uninspiring plot that seems to have been written capriciously. This sort of patternless drifting makes for a more lifelike journey, but fails in any summative form of moral conclusiveness for the characters or the spectator (also like life!).

Most importantly, the film is never boring due to Holofcener's keen compositional awareness and temporal punctuality. A great date movie, a decent Ben 'n Jerry's-idle Tuesday movie.
½ August 21, 2010
i really wanted to like this movie. the casting is spectacular but the characters are vapid, self absorbed and unsympathetic. perhaps it is more of a comment on life of women preoccupied with their looks in los angeles instead of an analysis of self-esteem and insecurity. try watching the flick "eating" instead.
½ August 13, 2010
I've given this film an extra point just for having Jake Gyllenhaal to look at!
August 2, 2010
I expected more from this film having seen the reviews. I stuck with it mainly because I found the little girl Annie quite endearing. The plot wasn't very exciting. I don't know if I would have seen it out if it was two hours' long.
July 30, 2010
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch............its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie........i think that catherine keener, brenda blethyn, emily mortimer, dermot mulroney, jake gyllenhaal, raven goodwin, james legros, clark gregg, aunjanue ellis play good roles/parts throughout this movie...................i think that catheirne keener, brenda blethyn, emily mortimer were great throughout this movie........................i think that the director of this comedy/drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie..............i think that catherine keener was brilliant throughout this movie..............i think that this is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie i think that this is a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a brilliant cast throughout this movie