Love's Abiding Joy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love's Abiding Joy Reviews

½ November 24, 2015
4. The stories of Missie and Jeff: The struggles and the first love.

The fourth movie in the Hallmark's 'Love Comes Softly' movie series. It continued a few years after where the previous one ended. LaHaye family comfortably settled down running a ranch in the wild west and Missie is now a full time teacher in a local school. This story apprises the struggles and introduces a proper villain for the first time in this series. Unlike the title, the story travels in the opposite direction. Time to test your faith in this series. If you manage to get through, you would continue or feel tediousness.

Hold on, I did not say the movie was good as the previous ones. Until now I had not seen a substandard in the series. Maybe the word 'substandard' is very rude. It can be explained in another way as well like the story considerably focuses on the misery side of the LaHaye family. Missie's father came a long way to spend time her and his grandchildren. But then the visit came at a wrong time, especially the entire region is suffering from the drought. The troubles only extends without a sign of ending. Some of the LaHaye's family friends living in their worst nightmare.

"The only thing we both want...
We won't ever see again."

In a parallel layered narration, Jess is near the 20 or something and he tastes his first love. Not without the obstacles. Because the girl who is associated with him is from highly influenced family in the town. It was a pretty good romance track, deserved to be told as one side his family is grieving and other hand his (Jeff's) own struggle. Sad faces are seen everywhere and I'm happy it is not all about the happiness, though there are sad narrations as well in the series.

So, it was the story composition intensely created that way to display. But the viewers are not thinking about the possibilities of what a family could go through in a such situation. Rather, they are pointing out the movie as a downfall, not the story that talks about the downfall. That is why the whole film looks grim and depressing, only if you did not get it. Anyway, it is a long movie series and all kinds of mood, genre, theme of the tales are expected in the each film. I believe the next one would get better and that's what I'm thinking right now.

7/10
February 16, 2014
Cant wait to see it!
½ August 2, 2013
I thoroughly enjoy this series, but this was one of the weakest ones. Story weak. Acting weak....and to make matters worse, the DVD that I watched did not have the voices matching the mouth movements. Hate that...
June 10, 2013
Waiting for the love kill these annoying characters.
October 8, 2012
Great Family movies!!!! my mom read the book collection to our family every nite till we finished them :)
January 3, 2012
Enjoyed the first three but this one was a let down...
July 13, 2011
Love's Abiding Joy strays too far into slow-paced melodrama.
March 4, 2011
Not my favorite of the series.
½ December 4, 2010
Written and directed by Michael Landon Jr, or Michael Landon's son, not especially my favorite in this series of Christian films, it is filled with depressing scenes and has for a change a real villain, a town rich guy who likes to lend people money only to take their farms when hard times come and they can't pay back.

Due to those hard times, a farm owner's wife stops being a teacher and he has to become a sheriff and forced to do the will of the wealthy family in the town.

One of a series of westerns, or more appropriately, just plain old melodramas set in the latter 1800's in the plains states most probably. Some are set in the midwest, Sikeston Missouri to be exact.

Like the Little House TV series made by his father Michael Landon, this Love Comes Softly series was made by his son, junior. It has much the same tone as the Little House television show, making much of interelationships in hard times.

Not a bad film and worth watching at least once. Not a curse word in the entire script, just a slow, methodical march to the end.

Approx. run time 87 min
Genre Christian drama
Written by Michael Landon Jr. (Michael Landon's son)
Douglas Lloyd McIntosh
Bridget Terry
Janette Oke
Directed by Michael Landon Jr.
Produced by Brian Gordon

William Morgan Sheppard
Editing by Colleen Halsey
Music by Kevin Kiner
November 27, 2010
I really love this movie!!!!!!
½ July 16, 2010
Really good story in the pioneer spirit, actually the 4th story in a series!
June 19, 2010
Sweet series about love and faith.
½ May 23, 2010
All of the Janette Oke?s filmed stories, most of which are directed by Michael Landon Jr., suffer from extremely poor period detail, the inaccuracies glaring and distracting. The art direction is among the worst I have ever seen. They also have overdone make-up, an overbearing and intrusive score and amateurish acting. The stories are just too unprofessional to work on any level. They look low budget and the screenplay is laughably poor at times.
½ May 23, 2010
38/100. All of the Janette Oke's filmed stories, most of which are directed by Michael Landon Jr., suffer from extremely poor period detail, the inaccuracies glaring and distracting. The art direction is among the worst I have ever seen. They also have overdone make-up, an overbearing and intrusive score and amateurish acting. The stories are just too unprofessional to work on any level. They look low budget and the screenplay is laughably poor at times.
May 23, 2010
I could watch this over and over.
March 14, 2010
The continued Westward journey of settlers Missie and Willie Lahaye. Their roots now firmly planted as they set up homestead in the far West, Missie begins to realize her passion for teaching as Willie cares for the couple's young daughter Kathy while expanding the family ranch with a little help from sons Jeff and Matthew. When the frontier railroad comes to town, the pleasure of a long-promised visit from Missie's father Clark is suddenly offset by the tragic death of young Kathy. As the untimely demise of their beloved daughter begins to drive an emotional wedge between Missie and Willie, the devastated father unexpectedly accepts an offer made by the powerful Samuel Doros to assume the role of town sheriff. Their faith shaken and their once close-knit bond suddenly torn asunder, Missie and Willie desperately attempt to bring their crumbling family back together as son Jeff faces a series of dangers while hopelessly falling for Doros' beautiful daughter Colette.
February 21, 2010
this is another great one everyone can watch and learn from tough times how god brings you through
½ November 24, 2009
I love this series. Great Christian movie for everyone. I suggest watching them all in order, because it's nice to see how the story grows. I love the character Willie played by logan Bartholomew, he's the type of husband a girl dreams of. Missie is teaching at the beginning, leaving the little ones in care of Cookie (the cook). Missie and Willie need the money. There's not been enough rain, and the ranch is not doing as well as they'd hoped. Willie is offered the sheriffing job and takes it, which turns out to be much harder and more time-consuming than expected. There's a lot more that happens in this one, much tragedy and loss, but faith in God and love of family prevails. If this one had a theme, it would be that "God's timing is always perfect, even if we don't realize it at the moment".
November 17, 2009
This is a really good movie!It's really sad!I really love this movie!
November 11, 2009
I love this whole series, following this family has been pure entertainment. However, this one was a little too much for me. Way too much tragedy for one woman.