Lower City (Cidade Baixa) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lower City (Cidade Baixa) Reviews

½ February 23, 2010
really well shot, but i think a lot was lost in translation in terms of character development.
½ November 27, 2009
just an excuse to show alice braga's tits.
November 6, 2009
A great foreign film. Alice Braga has a great performance in this film. Just a great story about two best friends and
the prostitute that both are in love, and will do anything to have her.
½ October 26, 2009
Deco and Naldinho, who have been old buddies for long time, meet strip-dancer Karinna. Both men fall for her and their friendship is shattered.
½ June 18, 2009
O bom: bons actores, um olhar interessante (apesar de limitado) sobre franjas sociais, gostei bastante da fotografia (tons fortes mas mantendo o ar realista).
O mau: a historia nao tem muito mais para alem do trio amoroso.
A conclusao: bom filme, mas faltou ambicao.
½ May 13, 2009
This film follows a couple of guys traveling and battling for attention from a prostitute on her own travels. Captured in the subjective and gritty vein of City of Men and City of God but with its own dose of sex and violence, it is as a whole moderately engaging yet readily forgettable.
½ May 3, 2009
This is a tale of a couple of months in the life of 3 people who live in poverty. It could be any place where poverty is rampant and labor skills are expensive to obtain. Interesting all over.
½ April 16, 2009
Lower City doesn't hang about. There's shagging on screen within five mins, and a stabbing before fifteen mins have elapsed. A hit at Cannes, it's a vibrant piece of South American filmmaking, revolving around a love triangle - two friends Deco & Naldinho who offer a ride (by boat) to Karinna, a stripper. Of course, both guys fall for her and it all gets a bit messy. Good performances, good film.
½ February 4, 2009
When I first watched it, I didn't think of it as much even though the gritty and steamy style really reminded me of City of God but somehow the film has stuck in my mind for quite a while now. Here's a story about two very close friends who lived almost like brothers falling for one girl who happens to be sort of a prostitute. Things take some unfortunate turns and twists and their friendship is tested to the limit.

Not a very original plotline if you ask me but the setting as well as the superb acting really makes up for it. Somehow I still can't help but think that this could've been so much better with some little adjustments.

24 January 2009
½ January 12, 2009
the value of FRIENDSHIP my man!
watch it then you will know what I mean ;)
January 2, 2009
A tale of two long-time best friends from the 'lower city' who fell in love with a same girl, Karinna a stripper. Jealously leads to many ugly things that ultimately destroyed their friendship. Cidade Baixa does give us a good peek into the poor & vice ridden world. A rollercoaster ride into bleak emo-dome.
December 30, 2008
Otra peli de marginalidad latinoamericana. Bueno si en Holliwood siguen haciendo películas de mascotas con superpoderes como el canguro jack, underdog y esas cagadas, en latinoamérica se puede seguir mostrando barrios y favelas de mala muerte. Aunque tiene unos movimientos de cámara interesantes, no aguanta más nada. Ténganla de referencia.
December 29, 2008
esto es lo que se podría llamar una típica película latina la problemática puede pasar de punta a punta del continente al igual que las imágenes y la narrativa
½ November 30, 2008
Love to live. Live to love
November 21, 2008
Decent story of an on-going threesome between 3 dirty street kids in Brazil.
½ October 21, 2008
Alice Braga is naked in every other scene and she has sex with a hot black guy. Does it matter that the movie is only so so?
October 8, 2008
It's no City of God, excellent performances but the plot doesn't really get anywhere and it lacks the excellent cinematography the former is so famous for
September 25, 2008
If it had not been for the passion of the charaters and the sex scenes....boring but cool
September 17, 2008
Credo che il film rappresenti fin troppo bene la realtà brasiliana. Bel film!
September 6, 2008
Un estupendo casting una historia muy latina