Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N. Reviews

November 6, 2016
Silliness from the many who could contort better than Jim Carrey. Several great skits stitched together to make a kids film and nearly tantalize mom & dad with what might happen on a tropical island with beautiful & interesting natives.

I would rate this as a half-notch below Bednobs which was a full notch below Poppins or Chitty. Overall this film is equal to the Love Bug sequels: a bit mediocre and without a properly heart-warming/tear-jerking moment but worth watching once with each grandchild.
½ April 11, 2016
An adventure comedy led by Dick Van Dyke. It's silly Disney fun. It's not one of my favorites, but is better than given credit for. (First viewing - 9/22/2010)
March 19, 2016
Light but quite enjoyable Disney fare. Dick Van Dyke plays Lt. Robin Crusoe and with a name like that, he is destined to be marooned on a desert island. Van Dyke is along for only a short time before he encounters island girl Nancy Kwan, who has been banished by her father from their tribe. Van Dyke is his usual likable self and there are some hints at romance between him and the beautiful Kwan. However, SPOILER ALERT!, once Van Dyke has a chance to live in the islands and marry Kwan, he chooses to get rescued and leave the island behind in stead for his unseen girls back home. I was pretty stunned the film didn't end with Van Dyke and Kwan together, either on the island or him taking her back to "civilization" but struck me later that this ending was a product of racist views at the time which could never see all-American Van Dyke marrying anyone who's skin color isn't the same as Mary Tyler Moore. Outside of that unexpected bit of old fashioned Hollywood racism (along with the expected condescension towards native people that was was already expecting and got), it's a pretty enjoyable film.
March 13, 2016
Silly, but fun. Not one of The Disney's best.
jjnxn
June 24, 2015
Geared to the kiddies and on that level an okay comedy. A pair of editing shears would have helped a great deal, the movie's at least 15 minutes too long.
½ November 13, 2012
My least favourite Van Dyke/Disney collaboration.
½ March 28, 2010
The premise may be Walt's, but there's little of his genius otherwise on display. It definitely doesn't stand as one of his best or more personal pictures. Nor it is the high point for Dick Van Dyke.
March 24, 2010
very funny movie! loved the monkey.....
December 23, 2009
I love this fillm! I haven't seen it since i was very little but i feel in love with this both. In my eyes, this is a classic and a great Dick Van Dyke film.
July 18, 2009
Would love to see this!
½ April 17, 2009
a very predictable film, but it's easy to watch and is quite harmless
½ April 12, 2009
A mildly amusing film, which starts out like those old Goofy cartoons, but drops this once Robinson (yes, I'm pretty sure he says his name is Robinson, not Robin) (Dick Van Dyke) washes up on a deserted island. Here, instead of meeting his man Friday, he meets a stranded American chimpanzee from the space project, and beautiful island girl Wednesday (Nancy Kwan). Crusoe tries to ignore her beauty, focusing on writing letters home to his fiancee. Then a whole bunch of her sisters and cousins turn up, expecting him to protect them from their murderous misogynistic father. Crusoe works out a plan, while they giggle and kiss him endlessly, seemingly unaware that their lives are at stake. He succeeds in saving them, and Wednesday increases her efforts to sexually assault him, but he manages to escape with the chimp and get home to America, where the chimp is lauded as a hero and he is ignored. A funny ending to what was at most a distracting way to spend an hour or two on a Sunday afternoon, and I'm sure glad he goes back to his fiancee and doesn't stay with the manipulative and infuriating Wednesday.
½ March 29, 2009
it's ok for a sunday afternoon movie, which is apt, as it was on a sunday afternoon i saw it lol.
March 29, 2009
Simple, light comedy, harmless fun, even if the same gags get tiresome coming to the end.
½ February 27, 2009
:fresh: [CENTER]Good, but don't you think the girls are too crazy at the end.[/CENTER]
February 13, 2009
Moves a little slow, but I love Dick Van Dyke in this film!
January 3, 2009
An old favorite. Granted it does get to feeling a bit long, but it's not bad. One of the better movies Dick Van Dyke did, besides Mary Poppins.
December 28, 2008
I Have loved this one for a long time. I rate it high on my watch over and over list. I would reccomend it.
December 21, 2008
I've loved this movie since I was a kid and it's still enjoyable as an adult. Dick van Dyke also sings a song that Buddy and Sally sang on the Dick van Dyke show, and he also does a couple of the funny things he also did on the show.
½ October 29, 2008
Typically silly Disney film from the 60's. Dick Va Dyke's talents are barely used. It is well produced, but it could have been so much better. Disappointing.