Lu ding ji (Royal Tramp) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lu ding ji (Royal Tramp) Reviews

April 23, 2015
A pimp in a brothel saves a rebel from soldiers and becomes a low level member of the rebellion. Tasked with stealing a book from the Empress Dowager's bedroom, Wilson Bond befriends people on both sides and gets into all sorts of love triangles and subplots. The fierce action choreography mixed with the hilarious humour makes for a pleasant combination. Stephen Chow is in top form with Royal Tramp.
November 14, 2014
Mo lei tau is a name given to a type of humor originating from Hong Kong during the late 20th century. It is a phenomenon which has grown largely from its presentation in modern film media. Its humor arises from the complex interplay of cultural subtleties significant in Hong Kong. Typical constituents of this humor include nonsensical parodies, juxtaposition of contrasts, and sudden surprises in spoken dialogue and action... Classic Mo Lei Tau--Classic mix of comedy and Kung Fu. One of Stephen Chow's best... The Crazy World of Wong Jing & Slapstick Stephen Chow comedy!!
January 27, 2013
short review: didn't like it.
long review: a Wong Jing wire-fu fantasy - a painful watch apart from the over-the-top yet fluid action. for a gweilo, i'm a huge asiaphile and I still couldn't follow this one. I'd recommend just about any Stephen Chow movie before this one.
January 21, 2013
Amazing rendition of a Chinese masterpiece in a lighthearted manner
December 23, 2012
This isn't eye popping or rib tickling. There's some slapstick comedy that could garner a smile, but that's about it. The song might be funny, but it isn't even subtitled. Aside from the martial arts, it's pretty boring. This movie has not aged well and does not translate well, seems to be intended for kids.
November 25, 2012
This mo lai tau of Louis Cha's final serial The Deer and the Cauldron (1969-1972) and a number of its subsequent television adaptations ("The Duke of Mount Deer") is almost exclusively Cantonese. Sixty percent of the film's humor is dialectical wordplay that was comedian Stephen Chow's namesake during this period. Even some of the seemingly dramatic sequences without him are potentially poking fun at something ("Royal Tramp" opens with a Heaven and Earth Society ambush that is in reality a spin on a popular Hong Kong cigarette commercial).

The plot, somewhat faithful to the novels, is no less baroque than the punch lines: Chow is Wai Siu-bo a sardonic fabulist who spins yarns in his sister's brothel atop a crude throne adorned with a goofy tiger cap (yet another inside joke) and happens into the service of Ming rebels (the aforementioned Heaven and Earth Society). Sent to the Forbidden City to infiltrate the court and steal a fabled martial arts book that [could] help overthrow the tyrannical Ching Dynasty, Wai accidentally applies to become a eunuch, but is saved by another (frequent Chow collaborator Ng Man-tat) who in return wants Wai to gain the court's confidence so he too can make off with the MacGuffin. Once inside Wai genuinely befriends the emperor (Deric Wan) who then wants Wai to spy on the eunuch in addition to the court's general (Elvis Tsui Kam-kong). In the meantime, the emperor's trashy princess daughter (Category III starlet Chingmy Yau) wants Wai to infiltrate her!

Decidedly, the only universal components in this esoteric nonsense comedy are unfortunately low brow huckster Wong Jing's predilection for puerile humor from opposite ends of the spectrum: it's all daffy reaction shots and penis jokes.

If that passes your litmus test for good comedy and you are capable of processing and compartmentalizing data swiftly then "Royal Tramp" will likely tickle your funny bone (it, despite its language barrier, has a constituency of Western fans) but others might feel like Wong Jing assaulted their ulnar nerve.

Domestically, "Royal Tramp" took in over HK$40 million and finished as one of 1992's largest grossing films proliferating a sequel and more recently a television series.
July 22, 2012
This kung fu trash-comedy is fun, but not all that funny. At least for an American.
January 9, 2012
It follows fromclose the sources it's parodying, ye, the wuxia of intrigue and betrayal: so you gotta humour and you gotta see a lot of good kung fu and an outrageous high number of warring faction. Chow's character floats above everything thanks to his talent in compulsive lying and the knowledge of crucial chakras: breast and penis. Obviously, hilarious.
April 5, 2010
Great wuxia parody which further developed the fruitful relationship between Stephen Chow and Wong Jing, the man who "discovered" him. Chow is quite the fast-talker here, which makes Royal Tramp less accessible to his Western fans, but Wong Jings genitalia-related comedy is thankfully universal, if not very sofisticated. The film loses momentum after a while, and a tighter plotline wouldn't have hurt, but Chow eventually wins his audience over as the gags keep piling up. And Tony Ching manages to keep up with the comedy with some fierce action direction.
July 15, 2009
most favorite among stephen movie..
DragonEyeMorrison
December 25, 2008
I dislike Jing Wong, but i'll give it a chance just for Stephen.
December 24, 2008
After witnessing the ninja attack/massacre at the beginning I thought to myself, "I'm getting close to 40 years old! How is it no one has told me about this!? How have I not seen this already!?".
From there it becomes a fun Chow comedy. What I love about his humour is best given with an example of a common scene, but with that Chow touch.
Chow's arms are hidden behind his back while 2 well hidden women pretend to be his arms when he is confronted. American audiences have seen this gag many times before, heck, Who's Line is it Anyway has a segment on the gag called Helping Hands. But what makes it hilarious when Chow does it (though I do confess I like the gag in almost all cases) is when the hands beat the shit out of him until he's vomiting blood. Now that's comedy gold.
A funny comedy with some great martial arts scenes that's well worth seeing for fans of Chow's work.
½ December 21, 2008
I see this film many time...it is very fun...haha! He had many wives and had a powerful martial art in this film...
December 11, 2008
It's one of those really funny films that you would love all time if it wasn't for that mild hint of racism in the background.
December 5, 2008
steven chow never fails to crack my shit up!
November 3, 2008
All the dirty jokes. How did my mom let me watch this? Well, she didn't like movies.
½ October 14, 2008
Pretty funny, but still not quite Kung Fu Hustle-funny.
August 29, 2008
hilarious.. stephen chow rocks!!
August 23, 2008
Funny, insane-o kung fu flick starring the dude from SHAOLIN SOCCER and KUNG FU HUSTLE. The movie's penis obsession is a little strange, but most everything in this flick is strange.