Lucky Jim - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lucky Jim Reviews

November 1, 2015
WOW.....WOW.....WOW.....WOW.....STUNNING.....GENIUS......FANTASTIC......AMAZING.......I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH......ITS GOT A GOOD CAST OF ACTORS/ACTRESSESS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.......I think that ian carmichael (.R.I.P.), terry Thomas (.R.I.P.), hugh Griffith (.R.I.P.), Sharon acker, jean Anderson (.R.I.P.), marureen Connell, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.....I think that the director of this comedy/classics movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie........I think that this is such an entertaining movie 2 watch its such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, its got such a fantastic cast throughout this movie......I think that this is such a fantastic comedy movie 2 watch,

The film critic writing for The Times, gave the film a mixed review after the UK premiere in September 1957, stating that the film, "carries over enough gusto from the original to be funnier than the usual run of British comedies, without managing to avoid lapses into incoherence through pressing the Joke too far."

When the film premiered in the USA a year later, Howard Thompson of the New York Times wasn't very impressed and called Ian Carmichael "an English answer to Jerry Lewis": "Let's fervently hope this stale attempt at mirth, furiously sliding back and forth from leaden coyness to plain custard-pie confusion, doesn't mean the end of all the sly, civilized fun we've come to expect from the British specialists."

In its 2010 obituary over Ian Carmichael, The Guardian wrote: "One of his most characteristic and memorable sorties... was his portrayal of Kingsley Amis's Lucky Jim-the anti-hero James Dixon, who savaged the pretensions of academia, as Amis had himself sometimes clashed with academia when he was a lecturer at Swansea. Appearing in John and Roy Boulting's 1957 film, he was able to suggest an unruly but amiable spirit at the end of its tether, his great horsey teeth exposed in the strained grimace that often greeted disaster."

the whole cast is:::

Ian Wilson - Glee Singer
Charles Lamb - Contractor
Henry B. Longhurst - Professor Hutchinson
Jeremy Longhurst - Waiter

It is an adaptation of the 1954 novel Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis. man this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie.......
March 11, 2015
Of all the classic British comedies of the 50's and 60's this is perhaps my least favourite I've seen so far. It's not a terrible film by any means, but once compared to solid gold classics such a The lady killers, Whisky galore, or my personal choice The Titfield thunderbolt, then this looks more than a little lacking. I think the main problem here is that the script is based off a satirical novel that I'm guessing works much better on the page than on it does on the screen with its very dry sense of humour getting lost somewhere along the way. It doesn't also help that lucky Jim himself is not really a likeable person, or indeed a very interesting one either. Also this works way too hard to get only mild laughs, the support characters are also dry and dull, and by the end I still hadn't really warmed to the lead character who quite frankly is a bit of git. A lucky git, but a git nevertheless. Besides the always fun Terry-Thomas, and the fact it is quite well made there's not a lot here in terms of laughs or anything else.
August 29, 2013
Another fine comedy with Carmichael and Terry Thomas. Carmichael is a university student who tries to impress the new chancellor but gets it all wrong. Thomas in fine form as usual
½ August 20, 2013
Gentle but nice comedy and Ian Carmichael outdoes Terry-Thomas in terms of screen personality.
October 2, 2010
This date is wrong, the book was published in 1954.