Lucky Luke - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lucky Luke Reviews

½ August 20, 2016
141017: This is a French language film but it had everything I enjoy in a western, and more. Great characters & costumes, fun weapons and gear (especially Billy the Kid's kit) and lots of action. I found the story a bit hard to follow, perhaps because I never read the comic series. Great sets & locations. Seems to have been a big production. Fun yet sad that I had to wait five years to discover it accidentally.
January 10, 2015
Side-splitting and stays with you like a good Pixar.
January 4, 2014
The constant change in tone makes the film confusing
½ July 24, 2013
Jean Dujardin is one of the finest French actors that I've seen. In Lucky Luke, the latest film adaptation of the classic comic series, he plays the fearless gunslinger effectively well and gives the characters some charm, which made him so likeable. Some fans may feel that this is a poor attempt at adapting the books to the screen, but I feel that this is a far better take on the comics than the Asterix live action features that they've released a decade ago. This is a well acted film that has some effective comedic moments and the cast aside from DuJardin are well chosen in their parts. An actor that also stood out for me was Michael Youn in the role of Billy the Kid. Along with Dujardin, he really shined in his performance, and was perfect for the role of Billy the Kid. Young played the character so well, that he stole the show for the most part. The film boasts a good plot, but one that could have been slightly better as well. The performances make the film work as well as the look of the film. Both make this a delight for fans of the books, and I thoroughly enjoyed it although it could have been improved upon. There is still enough material from the book to really get into it, if you're a fan of the comics, and the movie is funny and at times dark in terms of certain scenes. I think that this is one of the best adaptations of a French comic book and it is a slightly better film than Terrence Hill's Lucky Luke version. Even with that said- both are worth watching, and are quite entertaining from start to finish. Check this 2009 version out as it is far better than the live action Asterix films, which were disappointing and looked more silly than amusing. At least this film has the heart and look of the comics with the humor you'd expect.
½ December 30, 2012
The fearless gunslinger, Lucky Luke (Jean Dujardin), known to "draw faster than his shadow" is ordered by the President to bring law and order to Daisy Town with the help of his loyal talking horse, Jolly Jumper.
On this journey he bumps into old enemies such as Billy The Kid (Michaël Youn), Pat Poker (Daniel Prévost), Phil Defer (Claudio Weppler) and Jesse James (Melvil Poupaud). By his side is his beloved Belle (Alexandra Lamy) and the harsh Calamity Jane (Sylvie Testud). He will not only have to fight his enemies, but his own conscience as well...

I red Lucky Luke as a kid and loved him and his adventures. At that point they put out a lot of animated films of his adventures which made sense. But, in the early 90s Terrence Hill (of some reason....) ended up as Lucky Luke in two live action movies that didn't carry very much resemblance with the cartoon itself. Thus, those ones are something to forget and deny. This version of "Lucky Luke" is however something very close to the cartoon. This live action version gives us a tone that fits, environments/landscapes that comes alive, it's slightly over the top (but it works), it has several classic Lucky Luke characters, great costumes/settings and with a storyline that still carries some level of emotional drama. It's a movie based on a cartoon, it should be taken for what it is. Dujardin is pretty good as Lucky Luke and the rest of the ensemble does a good job as well. I was positively surprised and I did enjoy watching "Lucky Luke".
October 12, 2012
g0ddamnit. Why they broke one of my favourite superhero c0mic through this m0vie? Actually , this c0uld be a g0od m0vie, and funny, just as in the c0mic- but the story was too boring , with the slow (very slow) plot and lame. I like lucky luke. Unf0rtunately, thanks to this m0vie that distract 0ne of my favorite c0mic. It c0uld have been better if the rival were f0ur br0ther dalt0n.
½ September 15, 2012
Welle done comic-film.
August 26, 2012
Lucky Luke is a great character, mostly because he has an awesome name. Woop woop! Despite my bias the comics are fun and funny and usually send up Westerns in amusing ways. This film is rather confusing in its tone. It is still a bit bizarre and cartoonish, with talking horses, people hiding in barrels, and Luke's ability to never miss. But then some of the thematic elements are insanely dark. It starts with the murder of Luke's parents, and at one point he considers suicide after making his first kill, something he swore he would never do. The humour can also be peculiar, such as Luke slapping a woman in the face as it's part of his tradition. That was actually the bigest laugh because it took me completely off guard. The film also has poor pacing, as there isn't one strong plot, but about 5 weak ones. It seems like a TV show edited down into a feature length film, with each segment having a clear beginning and end. Dujardin is great in the role, and gives us a likable cartoon hero that also has depth. The film looks amazing, with sweeping landscapes, brilliant costumes, and some inventive transitions and editing. I didn't laugh as much as I should, but I still enjoyed it, even if just because it had a unique tone.
May 4, 2012
C'est sûr, ça casse pas des briques mais ça reste drôle. Heureusement que Jean Dujardin est là et malheureusement que Michael Youn est là. Ce type est insupportable.
April 9, 2012
The first movie of Dujardin i saw which made me a die hard fan of his, And the oscar was really a surprise, which happened only a few months after i watched this film......
½ March 3, 2012
Nice artistic design, a lot of money on screen, Dujardin is cool, but the script is extremely unexciting.
February 22, 2012
this is not a serious movie nor a serious plot.
this movie is a playground were you just play with everything and beyond. stay true to its comic counterpart, Lucky Luke offer a comic movie.

by the way....this is a full of classic Lucky Luke kind of jokes, so if you were used to standard American slapstick jokes, this movie is definitely not for you...
½ January 8, 2012
pas pire... dujardins m'a quelque fpis fait penser a Brice de nice...
½ January 3, 2012
Jeu d'acteur inegal, scenario type blockbuster Hollywoodien (ce n'est pas un compliment), et surtout, pas drole.
½ November 3, 2011
Has nothing really to do with Lucky Luke except for the names of the characters. Bizzare nonsens and generally not funny.
½ November 3, 2011
October 9, 2011
PlutĂ´t pas mal, mĂŞme si ça reste en deça de ce Ă  quoi je mâ(TM)attendaisâ¦
Le lonesome cowboy le plus connu de la BD franco-belge va ĂŞtre chargĂ (C) par le prĂ (C)sident des USA de ramener le calme Ă  Daisy Town, ville natale du Luke, pour que le dĂ (C)veloppement du chemin de fer puisse se faire au mieux.
Le rà (C)alisateur a inventà (C) une enfance au hà (C)ros, mi blanc-mi indien, au cours de laquelle il a miraculeusement à (C)chappà (C) à un gang de vilains qui ont massacrà (C) sa mère et son père devant ses yeux. Seul survivant, le patronyme de lucky luke lui sera attribuà (C) (bon, il a quand même perdu ses parents, tout est relatif⦠!). Il se fera ensuite la promesse de ne jamais tuer personne.
Lâ(TM)histoire est amusante et les personnages aussi. Dujardin a parfaitement
pris le style de la BD. Par contre son personnage ici est plus naĂŻf que
dans le livre, dommage. Sylvie Testud reprĂ (C)sente une Calamity Jane
bagarreuse mais un peu trop fleur bleue. Billy the Kid incarnĂ (C) par Mikael
Youn est Ă (C)nervant Ă  souhait, parfait pour ce rĂ´le donc ! Le scenario sera
par contre trop peu cowboy â" câ(TM)est quand mĂŞme lâ(TM)homme qui tire le plus vite que son ombre- et trop romantique (Luke subjuguĂ (C) par Belle). Et pas de Dalton ? Un second opus avec les 4 frères (mais pas Eric et Ramzy svp) serait le bienvenu !
September 3, 2011
Nicely French storytelling, however not much Lucky Luke magic from the comics.
August 5, 2011
June 19, 2011
a part melvil poulpaud tout le monde est decevant
un navet