Lucky Numbers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lucky Numbers Reviews

½ February 20, 2016
John Travolta and Lisa Kudrow star in the crime comedy film Lucky Numbers. Travolta is Russ Richards, a weatherman that is having financial trouble so he decides to try and fix the lottery with the lottery number caller girl (Kudrow). They involve Rapport, Roth and Moore among others to hatch the scheme and everything of course spirals out of control. Unlucky Numbers was a poor man's Fargo as far as crime comedies go, but was worth a couple chuckles along the way.
½ June 1, 2015
Not one to put on your bucket list but Travolta makes it at least watchable.
March 17, 2015
the cast is wasted I have sympathy for all involved the movie doesn't reallky work and don't know why it does nothing new and gets pretty boring before the half way mark
December 23, 2014
WOW.....WOW....WOW.....JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A GOOD MOVIE 2 WATCH.......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that john Travolta, lisa kudrow, tim roth, Michael Rappaport, ed o neill, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.......I think that the director of this comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....

Filming locations in Pennsylvania included Carlisle, Mechanicsburg, Enola, Harrisburg, Hershey, Lancaster, Palmyra, Penn Township, West Fairview, and Wormleysburg. Scenes also were filmed in California in Arcadia scenes along Route 66 stood in for Harrisburg's Route 22, Buena Park, Long Beach, and Sacramento, and in St. Augustine, Florida.

Critical reception

Lucky Numbers earned negative reviews from critics, as it holds a 20% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 96 reviews.

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times noted the film "tells too much story at not enough energy. It should have been cut back and cranked up. Instead, it keeps introducing new characters until the plot becomes a juggling act just when it should be a sprint. And there's another problem: Is it intended as a comedy, or not? I ask because there are funny things in it, and then gruesome things, sad things and brutal things. Quentin Tarantino was able to cover that spread in Pulp Fiction. But Nora Ephron . . . doesn't find a way . . . So much depends on tone in a movie. Either you find the right one and stick with it, or you're in trouble (unless, like Tarantino, you really know what you're doing). If we're supposed to like these people, then there's a point beyond which they should not go in their villainy. If we're not, then the scenes where they're nice should have more irony . . . By the end of the film, we're less entertained than relieved. Lots of stuff happened, and much of it might have been interesting in a different kind of film. Here we got the curious sense that the characters are racing around Harrisburg breathlessly trying to keep up with the plot."

Mick LaSalle of the San Francisco Chronicle observed, "As both a writer and a director, Ephron has specialized in sentiment mixed with wiseguy banter - a combination that sometimes works but just as often succeeds only in being both cloying and irritating. In Lucky Numbers . . . [she] is suddenly liberated, and she guides her talented cast toward performances that are playful and yet comically precise . . . It's a bit of fluff that, all the same, is a gentle commentary on human nature . . . Mainly it's just a showcase for a lot of gifted comic actors to show their stuff - and for Travolta to go from complacency to wide-eyed panic, hitting all points in between."

Michael O'Sullivan of the Washington Post said, "Although Travolta gets top billing, Kudrow is the film's true manic engine, and her ability to carry off perky amorality propels the preposterous plot forward through numerous twists and setbacks . . . Her co-star, looking bloated and inert, appears to have settled into the role of the fall guy rather than even attempt to be an active participant. Ephron doesn't look as if she has her heart in the job either. Yes, the film is dark (literally as well as figuratively, since certain scenes are almost murky), but the director doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that the material is as cantankerous as it is. Time and time again, she keeps pulling back from the abyss just when Resnick's story lets us know that it's ready to abandon all social decency and hurl itself over the edge."

Lisa Schwarzbaum of Entertainment Weekly graded the film with a "D" and commented, "The laughs are few in this inert, ungenerous comedy because Ephron's tendency to condescend to her characters, coupled with Harrisburg-born Resnick's mocking worldview . . . makes for a queasy time." She added everyone in the cast is "ill-served by the director's rhythmless pacing, her muddy visual sense, and her insistence on reducing characters to caricatures."

The film was released on DVD on March 20, 2001. It is in anamorphic widescreen format with audio tracks in English and French and subtitles in English. Bonus features include an audio commentary with Nora Ephron and interviews with the cast and crew.

John Travolta's performances in this and Battlefield Earth won him the Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Actor.

man I think that this is such a really funny movie 2 watch.....I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch.......I think that john Travolta was absolutely funny throughout this I think that lisa kudrow was really good throughout this movie....I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie, I think that this is such an underrated movie 2 watch but it is such a really funny movie 2 watch

The screenplay by Adam Resnick was inspired by the 1980 Pennsylvania Lottery scandal.

I think that both lazy detectives Lakewood (Bill Pullman) and Chambers (Daryl Mitchell), were absolutely funny throughout this this is such an underrated movie 2 watch, but man it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch. with a great cast throughout this movie, it is such a really funny movie 2 watch......
November 13, 2014
½ October 15, 2014
Better than I thought going in. A decently executed story with some fun playful performances by both leads. It went a little too far over the top and tried to be a little to more serious than what it was worth. A straight up average movie.
July 27, 2014
(First and only viewing - 8/2/2010)
½ July 21, 2014
Not a hillarias movie , but fun parts ...nice time seeing this on my DVD
May 29, 2013
A weatherman who seems to have it all but really has serious money problems, with the help of the Lotto Lady and a friend fixes the Lotto numbers - a move that seems to be more trouble than its worth. A lazy screenplay filled with bad timined jokes and character entrances ends up being a hopeless mess of a movie that is hard to follow or care for.
February 18, 2013
Yeah, the plot is silly, the acting was far from great, but yet, this is a pretty decent comedy, with some good moments!
February 16, 2013
Although not the top of the films it is quite satisfying for a 90 min. forgettable comedy.
½ January 22, 2013
Not the funniest movie ever, but good cast, good people, good times. Happy endings abound.
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
½ November 23, 2012
Kind of wacky, but It's Fun
November 10, 2012
Apathique, cette comedie noire sans aucun genie ne peut etre sauvee par un excellent JOHN TRAVOLTA. Au fur et a mesure que les scenes tombent a l'eau, le film s'ecroule totalement et se place alors comme l'un des plus mauvais films de la carriere de chacun des acteurs et techniciens concernes. On n'osera pas parler de scenario et de mise en scene devant un tel echec.
February 12, 2012
I call this the worst movie of all time. The actors should be ashamed and return our money.
February 9, 2012
me rei par con travolta en esta! jaj
½ October 11, 2011
great cast, seemed like one of those movies where everyone went to acting camp and said hey let's make a movie...but what will we call it.... I know lucky numbers, then they add some funny stuff... a little drama and a life create...???????
½ October 8, 2011
March 13, 2011
It was merely a fine picture, with weak plot.