L'Ultimo squalo (The Last Shark) (Great White) Reviews

• Aug 25, 2018

The title would have been more accurate if it had read "The Last Shark Movie You'd Ever Want To Sit Through" This is little more than a cheap, derivative Italian cash grab, basically JAWS without any of the same cinematic qualities, less original than the RiffTrax commentary that accompanied it.

• Jul 08, 2018

Five stars to bring the movie back to U.S.A, I know it’s a total rip-off of Jaws but to me the movie was pretty good and this movie was more than Jaws.

• Jun 23, 2017

A terrible rip-off of Jaws, Great White is both fun to laugh at but at the same time I actually found it tedious and it actually took me two attempts to watch. It's climax is especially fun to watch and I would class it as so bad it's good if it wasn't for the rage I had at it's unoriginality. But overall it's overuse of stock footage and overall badness make it a movie that is so bad I recommend it.

• Apr 28, 2016

Not a great movie, and by all means, it's a ripoff of Jaws in many ways- yet it's probably one of the best efforts. The story and characters aren't too great, but they hold together. The shark is seen plenty throughout, sometimes with real footage that is edited pretty well, and other times a goofy prop that is creepily life size and at the worst moments. The music and atmosphere is what makes this one stand out, and would probably fall along the lines of being so bad it's good.

• Sep 01, 2014

A really fun movie that rips off Jaws and Jaws 2 in so many ways. A little hard to get a hold of, but if you can fin it, give it a watch.

• Mar 24, 2013

I think this is a good movie, even if it is a Jaws rip-off. I kinda like to consider it a Jaws film. It's better than Jaws 4 anyway.

• Jan 31, 2013

The quaint coastal community of Port Harbor is terrorized by a ferocious 35-foot great white shark in 1981's THE LAST SHARK! The finest of all JAWS imitations saw a mere two weeks in theaters before being pulled for its 'slight' similarities to the Universal classic, but unlike so many of the pathetic rip-offs that have surfaced over the years, THE LAST SHARK merits viewing by killer shark fans more than any other. James Franciscus and Vic Morrow headline in two noteworthy performances, even if they do closely shadow the characters played by Roy Scheider and Robert Shaw. While the plot points and major action sequences also mirror many of the events that occurred in both JAWS and JAWS 2, they are carried out with all of the same care and affection. Director Enzo G. Castellari employs a variety of techniques to bring his man-eating menace to life, including the clever use of a rubber buoy to subtly imply the shark's presence during one of its attacks. No one will accuse the film of being ultra-realistic between the cheap rubber puppets and frequent intercutting of stock footage and live-action, but Georgio Ferrari deserves a considerable amount of credit for his impressive mechanical shark that, some may say, looks better than the shark in JAWS. US copyright laws have kept THE LAST SHARK off of the market for years, but this entertaining little gem has invaded new waters through various media outlets online.

• Dec 29, 2012

Not a total disaster, it's Castellari, but still has it's "moments".

Not a total disaster, it's Castellari, but still has it's "moments".

• Nov 08, 2012

Italian Jaws rip-off is most infamous for Universal having sued it's makers for plagiarism and getting it's US release blocked. It still has yet to get any kind of official release here even after over 30 years. As a movie, it's pretty bad although, mildly amusing at times especially when you see Universal's point. Story has an enormous great white shark attacking a beach community and writer Peter Barton (Peter Benchley?) as played by James Franciscus and shark hunter Ron Hamer, played by the great Vic Morrow fading in and out of a Scottish accent, are the only two who can stop it's rampage. Director Enzo G. Castellari directs the carnage by the numbers and we actually wish he would have been a bit more over the top as a lot of Italian films do with material like this. He seems to really want to make a serious shark flick from Vincenzo Mannio's script and we wish he had just cut loose and had a bloodier good time with it. The FX range from passible to bad such as with a helicopter scene becoming laughable when the model used during it's crash is a completely different type of helicopter then the one it represents. The shark varies from live footage to a cheesy underwater miniature to an actually decent full size mock up but, we never really come to fear it like Spielberg's carnivore. Overall an amusing curiosity but, one we wish was just a bit more fun to make tracking it down more of a delight. For Jaws completists and Vic Morrow fans (like me) only.

• Oct 15, 2012

Shameless rip-off of a domestic blockbuster at its best. Nothing really redeems this one.