Lumière and Company - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lumière and Company Reviews

January 26, 2016
40 international directors were asked to make a short film using the original Cinematographe invented by the Lumière Brothers, working under conditions similar to those of 1895 using a special wooden camera. There were three rules: (1) The film could be no longer than 52 seconds, (2) No synchronized sound was permitted, and (3) No more than three takes. Lynch broke two of those rules but who?s counting. This was a wonderful display of affection for a bygone era of film making. Lynch?s eerie and grainy short film displays mystery, suspense, intrigue and bemusement. Not bad for 55 Seconds!
½ February 25, 2014
If David Lynch has any part in making a movie in anyway shape or form don't bother watching it. ALL OF HIS FILMS are total crap and a waste of time. He must of paid off all the critics to get high ratings on his films.
June 5, 2013
Excellent tribute to cinema!
January 23, 2013
Not really a movie :)
August 21, 2012
An absorbing, honorific documentary to the brothers Lumière and one of the most magnificent achievements in history, The Cinematographer. 40 of the most beloved directors of the world together in one work, including some of the most influential quotes from Michael Haneke and the obviously disturbing, astonish work from David Lynch, beatifully crafted and plenty of style from every short. But is sometimes very tedious.
June 21, 2012
A really interesting concept with beautiful thoughts about film from world-renowned filmmakers. The actual structure and craft of the documentary needs a little work though.
½ May 6, 2012
A bunch of short films, 52 seconds each, shot with the legendary Lumiere brothers' camera by famous and not-so-famous contemporary directors. In spite of a wonderful idea, it's been poorly realised when all the comments by different artists are messed into one inedible puree, shorts are not clearly defined as such, interviews with the directors lack structure and style. Overall, the homage to the Lumieres badly composed, directed and edited, which itself is a crime.
March 30, 2012
The short film Lumiere by Lynch is well done and weird as usual accompagnied with a strong soundtrack.
March 30, 2012
David Lynch's was especially strange. Loved it.
flixsterman
March 30, 2012
A 55 second short made for the centennial of film (1996) using one of the original antique movie cameras.
March 30, 2012
worth watching for the David Lynch film.
March 30, 2012
Excellently vivid and eerie David Lynch short film. The imagery and the music will stick with you and leave you feeling uneasy. Just like the best of Lynch's work
½ March 30, 2012
Found each of the pieces at least somewhat interesting, but agree that the 55-second "Lumiere" steals the show.
March 30, 2012
Lynch's entry in the Lumiere and Company film is actually a rather successful piece of horrific cinema. Filmed on the Lumiere's cinematographe with a run time of less than 52 seconds, Lynch's entry features a single shot that is truly breathtaking and unexpected. An example of how short cinema can still achieve a genuinely visceral impact.
½ March 30, 2012
Worth seeing. [dvd 07-2008, "the short films of david lynch"]
March 30, 2012
Interesting. I think this is odd and yet very worth watching. Interesting.
March 30, 2012
The title of this film on Facebook movies is misleading -- it is a collection of short films by various directors. Although I have seen all of these short films, this review will focus on only one of them -- my favorite, free of any international bias, and I promise I gave them all an equal chance. "Lumià (C)re" is a 55 second short film by David Lynch, a master surrealist and artist in every sense of the word. You might ask me how I review a film that short. You may scoff at the thought. Scoff away, because Lynch accomplishes more in 55 seconds than a lot of the garbage that is released in theaters every day.

Let it be known that it will be impossible to avoid spoilers. I cannot just say to go watch this on YouTube, although you should right now. So, ahem, SPOILER ALERT.

Are you still with me? I can't believe I'm writing this much either.

As with most of Lynch's later work, "Lumià (C)re" is open for interpretation, and I will present my own. The film is comprised of five different scenes. Watching them all in order will not make much sense the first time. This is alright, because they are not meant to. As a work of the avant-garde, Lynch's film is trying to get us to make associations between the seemingly unrelated things we see on screen -- scenes are juxtaposed for a specific purpose. Once we are able to arrange these scenes in the way we see fit, most of us may form a narrative that is both dismal and shocking.

---START---
A woman wanders off. Possibly away from a loved one.

She is captured and tortured by sadistic men.

The woman's mother is worried. Her daughter has been gone too long. Something is not right...

The police find the woman's dead body.

The police regrettably inform the woman's family about her grisly death.
---END---

You can watch this film and think nothing of it. Hate it even. I wrote this much about it, and that has to count for something.
March 30, 2012
A 55-second film from Lynch using a 100-yr old camera under tight restrictions. He still works in some very Lynchian images.
March 30, 2012
One of Lynch's best shorts. Only 55 seconds long, but it feels as dense as Lost Highway or Mulholland Drive. It shows how quickly and beautifully Lynch creates mysterious imagery.
March 30, 2012
David Lynch's short was my favorite, really shows how he takes it to another direction