Luna Papa (2000)

TOMATOMETER

——

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Luna Papa Photos

Movie Info

Tajik filmmaker Bakhtiar Khudojnazarov directs this magical realist tragicomedy about a teenaged Tatar girl who mysteriously finds herself pregnant. Told from the point of view of the gestating fetus, young Mamlakat (Chulpan Khamatova) lives with her excitable father (Ato Mukhamedshanov) and her brother (Moritz Bleibtreu of Run Lola Run (1998)), who went mad after losing a chunk of skull during a war. Mamlakat dreams of becoming an actress, but when the local itinerate theater company breezes through the village, she misses it. Instead, she finds herself rolling down a hill in the arms of one of the actors. When she awakes the next morning, she finds that she's pregnant. In order to restore their family's honor, they pack up and travel across Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and Kyrgyzstan in search of the acting troupe. Luna Papa was screened at the 1999 Venice Film Festival.
Rating:

Dinmuhammed Achim
as Gynecologist
Show More Cast

Critic Reviews for Luna Papa

There are no critic reviews yet for Luna Papa. Keep checking Rotten Tomatoes for updates!

Audience Reviews for Luna Papa

½

Saw this film a while back by myself. The cinematography is just stunning, with sweeping desert landscapes, a fully recreated Tajik village, and a beautiful waterway. The music is perfect for the film, and the humour is both understated and very appropriate. But the best part of this film is, by far, the acting. This film boasts an excellent international cast. Khamatova is the lead character Mamlakat is both vibrant and innocent. Mukhamedzhanov as Safar, is perfect in the role of the loving, devoted father who will do anything for his children. And finally, Bleibtreu as Nasreddin steals any scene he's in. The performance he gives is simply brilliant, with a touch of slapstick, a an excellent display of physical control since his character is a man suffering from brain damage as a result of being a soldier wounded in battle. His character manages to be a host of paradoxes...sweet, yet strong, only able to say a few words yet more wise than those who are fully capable, childlike, yet manly. I cannot say enough about this character or Bleibtreu's performance with him. I would fully recommend this film to anyone who likes a good story, who wants something a bit different from the same old Hollywood fluff, and for anyone who wishes to see excellent actors giving excellent performances. For anyone who's curious, this viewer is firm...watch this film. You won't be disappointed.

Christina Crites
Christina Crites

I absolutely love this film. I think it's a brilliant example of magic realism. Now for my complaints. First, narrating a film from the womb is just about as bad as narrating it from beyond the grave. It's just tacky. Second, it's anti-abortion, but since it's not an American film, I'm able to grudgingly put that aside. Now that I have my two big complaints out the way, this is a film that shows you don't need a film with a consistent set of rules to be believable. The acting carries this film; practically anything could happen and the actors could make it watchable. The twists are compelling, even if occasionally thrown in for show. And the ending is brilliant. It reminds me of Kusterica's work. X-posted to www.filmish.net

Daniel Temkin
Daniel Temkin

Luna Papa Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss Luna Papa on our Movie forum!

News & Features