Luna: Spirit of the Whale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Luna: Spirit of the Whale Reviews

December 11, 2011
I can't say that this was better than Free Willy, as corny as that movie was, but it was pretty good all things considered. Orca's are beautiful, and this movie touched something close to my heart as I have always been against wild animals in captivity. Not great acting altogether, but the end result was fine.
½ December 11, 2011
September 4, 2011
Entertiaining. Not too accurate on details however; it was based on a true story. The true story is full of intrigue if you dig into it a bit.. a sad commentary on our present world perhaps. It is sad to learn that Luna's mother was possibly dying of starvation because of depleted salmon runs. A fate Luna may have faced had it not lived on as a 'friend' of the community? Who knows?
½ June 8, 2010
Typical made for TV Canadian movie. The acting for the most part is bad to terrible, and I think any movie that has Jason Priestly in it is kinda like the kiss of death. I am giving this movie 2.5 stars mainly because Orcas are my favorite animals and they do have some nice shots, although you could really tell when they were using CGI, and also that fact that it loosely based on actual events is a plus, so there you have it.
½ January 16, 2010
A kind of Canadian Free Willy with top Native American actors adding the perspective of Western First Nation people who try to maintain their culture and find the right balance between competing demands in a multi-cultural society on the British Columbian coast. Based on a true story and first hand account of the events that followed an orphaned Orca into their harbor following the death of their tribal chief.
October 18, 2009
Different/Not Bad/Good/Liked.
August 22, 2009
The plot is a bit slow and expected, but the scenery is beautiful. Given the fact that the movie is based on a real life events, maybe a documentary would have been a better way to tell the story.
March 14, 2009
A very nice movie. I'm glad I was able to catch it on tv, nothing about this movie was predictable. It's definitely a film that makes you remember that you should never forget who you really are. I'm glad it had a positive ending as well.
December 24, 2008
This movie was boring and poorly written, but the adorable orca and the true story behind the movie are redeeming qualities. It makes one proud to be British Columbian. One hopes that First Nations culture was accurately portrayed in this film.
October 5, 2008
I loved this movie. I thought I recognized the actor who plays Mike (Adam Beach). Now I know: he's from Law & Order SVU. Jason Priestley slips in this movie into the role of the bad guy.
October 4, 2008