Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (Rupan sansei: Kariosutoro no shiro) Reviews

• Jun 13, 2021

1979's The Castle of Cagliostro is best known as the theatrical directorial debut of legendary director Hayao Miyazaki, and as such is also the best known work in the long-running Lupin III franchise. However, the film absolutely stands on its own merits, and is both a testament to the quality of Miyazaki's work even in that relatively early stage of his career, as well as providing glimpses into the future of what was to come from Studio Ghibli only a decade later.

• Apr 05, 2021

I absolutely love this story's characters, but the plot is too basic, and some of the dialogue tends to be hard to take seriously. I also found it a little strange that they used some Sitcom influences for portions of the soundtrack. A part of me wished that they went full-on gritty or full-on comedic, although I know nothing about the Lupin III series ~shrugs~ Rating: High Decent

• Feb 25, 2021

One of the best masterpieces that anime has to offer, a must watch to any newbie or veteran. A charming story, an engaging pace, and loveable characters, you can't help but to cheer for the protagonists. If you haven't see it, what are you waiting for?

• Sep 13, 2020

This is such a fun and great movie! Never fails to make me laugh. And the protagonist is pure gold.

• Aug 24, 2020

This movie was the stupidest movie I have seen in a long time. Like this woman Clarisse was so helpless and this man Cagliostro or whatever was CREEPY and SO WAS THE MAIN CHARACTER!! What a douchbag.

• Jul 15, 2020

A fast-paced and entertaining crime adventure with endearing characters, kinetic humor and vivid animation, which foreshadows Hayao Miyazaki's expertise in animation for years to come.

• Jul 13, 2020

Despite coming out way back in 1979, this holds up. The animation style is clearly old, yet it's well done and looks really cool. The characters are a blast, it's well-written, and you can enjoy the caper from start to finish.

• Feb 18, 2020

A funny, fun, ever entertaining Bond-esque action flick with a serviceable English dub. The picture hasn't been very much restored, I marvelled at how good it looked on my phone only to think it had definitely aged when I continued it on my TV. You can tell it's a real thing of quality.

• Dec 23, 2019

Physics defying fun. A French inspector gadget-type mixed with 007. The ending confused me with Lupin and Clarisse, but it is worth viewing this lesser-known work from Miyazaki.

• Sep 03, 2019

I am probably too old for this movie. Maybe, when I was a kid, I would have liked it more.