Lured - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

November 26, 2009
recommended by neffielee.
neffielee
½ November 25, 2009
Having been a huge fan of I Love Lucy, it was intrigue that led me to watch her play a sexy, sassy dancer; which she played quite well. In a not so orginal plot of a serial killer in Scotland Yard, this film was dark, sophisticated, and well-acted. Ball is lured into helping the police find the poet serial killer, who has supposedly been killing off attractive dancers. She meets many strange characters in her journey to find the real killer, such as Karloff, who has a way too short role as a crazy former dress designer. George Sanders was superb as the sophisticated playboy, who must have been the model for the rich, yuppie snobs in later films. Ball falls in love with Sanders, but is he the killer? Great who-done-it that leaves you guessing until the last 15 minutes or so.
November 21, 2009
Lured has great film-noir. George Sanders and Lucille Ball have perfect chemistry. The movie will keep you guessing until the end. This "rediscovered" classic from 1947 has one of Lucille Ball's best dramatic roles of her career. A Jack-the-Ripper-like serial killer is looking for and murdering beautiful young women, and Lucille Ball's characters friend is the killer's latest victim. Wanting desperately to help the police find the brutal murderer, she is hired by Scotland Yard to become a decoy for the killer, who lures his victims through newspaper advertisements. Lots of plot twists keep the movie exciting to the end.
½ October 25, 2009
Enjoyable early focus on serial killer on the loose in London. It will keep you riveted to your seat as Ball goes undercover to discover the real culprit. Is it her lover Sanders? or Karloff? I wont spoil it but there are some good twists and turns. Sanders turns in a believable performance and those fans of Lucille Ball will be surprised by her excellent performance here. Art direction is exquisite as in most of this director's work.
October 3, 2009
Strange little 40s noir, not completely what I expected. Lucille Ball actually did have the makings of a very good dramatic actress. Some of the gender issues were examined in an honest, not too exploitative way. Karloff appears for all of five minutes to amuse us. Also always nice to see George Sanders being a nice fellow for once.
½ July 16, 2009
Solid mystery thriller, very well cast. Lucille Ball is terrific in a dramatic role. Good photography and lighting. Great pace and it's always interesting.
½ July 16, 2009
July 3, 2009
It is always interesting to see Lucille Ball act outside of her "I Love Lucy" character, and she is very good in this film. The idea of a personal ad killer seems like it would have been rather modern for the time. The film itself teeters on being very Hitchcockian but doesn't quite make the humor/darkness balance. The parts of the film that are humorous seem a little out of place, and the darkness doesn't quite seem dark enough. The "mystery" is a bit too easy, and the best parts seem to be Ball's work with Scotland Yard which near the end of the film seems to be replaced more with the love story which moves slow.
April 22, 2009
Nice little Scotland Yard noir-type mystery from early in Sirk's Hollywood career. Good cast, nice images, and an absolutely smashing cameo by Boris Karloff.

EDIT: I should add that watching this film at a time when news reports are widely covering the 'Craigslist killer' brings out an entirely new dimension to the film, a rather complex one of hidden fantasies found deviant by society, a theme that Sirk would go on to probe in his most famous films. Fascinating stuff.
March 14, 2009
Noir-ish mystery set in London and directed by one of my favorites, Douglas Sirk. Karloff only has one scene, but it's a memoralbe one. Good dramatic performance by Lucille Ball and George Sanders is always very cool. Douglas Sirk has a few good stylish moments, but this is a far cry from Sirk's brilliant The Tarnished Angels or All That Heaven Allows.
½ January 10, 2009
Great fun! A serial killer, Lucille Ball as the bait, and so many interesting characters peopled the movie. Yes, it was predictable, but who cares? The costuming was lovely and the story was engaging.
December 9, 2008
"Hey LOOOSEEE. I'm HOOOOoome"
May 11, 2008
Looks fantastic - great lighting/cinematography/remastering. Lucille Ball is pretty good here as well. The first two-thirds are largely unpredictable due to unconventional pacing, but those last few twists kind of keep this from being great.
April 22, 2008
I guessed the bad guy within the first ten minutes of the movie, but it was still interesting enough.
April 22, 2008
George Sanders purrs his way through a surprisingly good film. Lucy is awesome and fetching as an American taxi-dancer in England. Karloff is delightful.
April 9, 2008
Sirk! Nuf said! Although, this is early Sirk, so not fully Sirkian!
March 17, 2008
Great to see Lucille Ball in a non-B movie. I'm used to all the Sirk dramas but he does quite well with Hitchcock-like thrillers. Why is Karloff on the cover? He's in it one scene. Sanders was great before he got bored with life.
December 18, 2007
Douglas Sirk proves himself a master of more than the melodrama with this 1947 thriller exhibiting expert use of Hitchcock-like suspense. The impressive lighting schemes, which highlight ominous silhouettes, add much to the tension surrounding a homicidal charmer/killer of young women. I Love Lucy's Lucille Ball reveals a range previously unknown to me, and Boris Karloff fronts a memorable/fucked up scene far ahead of its time.
½ September 14, 2007
Very interesting movie. Old so not for everyone.
June 23, 2007
Even Karloff completists can safely skip this one.